New bike for daughter: Is the Byk Ergonomic Team RaceR E-350 really worth it?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Getting the daughter a new bike. She turns 4 in mid-January.

She went from a coast/run/balance bike to pedalling on a normal bike (no training wheels) at 3.5. I want to get her the best possible bike for her age.

Byk bikes definitely seem like the best since they advertise they pride themselves on making the best kids bikes... lighter, better parts, etc....

So I was sold on the E-350 (girls) bike but I just saw that they've brought out versions of their bikes, including the E-350, in a Team RaceR version.

It seems to have better cranks and apparently the frame is a lighter alloy, but it states the bike as the same weight as the normal E-350.

I care about my bikes. And I care about my kids bikes. And if it makes her a better rider faster, then I want it. And if it's better for maintaining (as in, less throw-away garbage parts on the bike), then I'm even more enthusiastic for it.

My question is... anybody had any exposure to the Team RaceR version of these bikes? What's the price difference (percentage-wise... 20% more expensive, for instance). Is the price difference worth it in your opinion?

I've included a couple of the photos from the website showing the two bikes. If you click on either of the images, you'll open up a pretty high resolution of the bike, if you felt like a close inspection of the parts.
The first one is the regular E-350 and the second is the Team RaceR version.

EDIT: Hmpf.... just did a very close inspection of the two images, and the RaceR one is just a Photoshopped version of the E-350, so most of it is exactly the same.

Last edited:

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
My eldest (6) has the E-350, non-team version. It's good. Still way overbuilt though, IMO.

The question I'm now asking is: is the Redline Flight Micro (at nearly $1000) really worth it? It's 2kg lighter after all...

Bermshot

Banned
Only diff I can see is, cranks, seatpost and seatpost collar.

Unbelieveble the amount of throw away thats on them.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
I didn't see any prices quoted, but there is nothing on the site that makes me sit up and pay attention.
I have reservations about coaster brakes. After 6 months riding, your daughter may well be ready for a front and rear hand brake.
The forks are not a-head which makes changing stems to fit the bike or change the bars a lot harder.
There is no spec listing that gives wheel sizes and widths, making it hard to evaluate against the opposition. I bought my sons 16" BMX S/H and the previous owner had fitted Hookworms that roll beautifully.
You might be better off with an alloy framed model from one of the major manufacturers to keep the weight down and pump the tyres up to reduce rolling resistance.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
We looked at these a few times but as much as they are 'nice' MrH thought they weren't anything exceptional.

FWIW ebay has been great for us with bikes for our 5.5 year old.. 16 inch Mongoose BMX was $55 preloved. His current ride (20' Redline) was a bit over $200..

helm

Cannon Fodder
response from warren key. Asking about difference between E350 standard and E350 team RaceR
The biggest advantage us in the design, both are really light, about 700 grams splits them. The team bike has no footbrake, that is an advantage if your child ( and you ) is ready.
Regards
Wa

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
+ 1 for ebay and major brands. it's a for a four year old - save your bux for when she's older. Four kids later tells me the biggest difference for kids and bikes is how often they ride, and a nice and easy attitude from parents to get them into it. Come on too strong and you'll turn 'em off real quick.

trailblazinBros

Likes Dirt
Rubbish rubbish rubbish

the BYK bikes are terrible.. as a mechanic I have assembled hundreds of these and dealt with scores of unhappy customers...just DO NOT go there.... you are better off with a redline micro or mini bmx...lighter better built, better spec'd better bike... did i mention that byk is trash and your better off with a better bike... I do not like to rubbish other peoples products but if your going to market something that is utter crap as being the best thing out then you have to expect to get a little flack... the seat collars are weak as piss and the bolt breaks when you look at it.. the stems are terrible... the quality of the coaster hubs is appalling...all in all a complete huffy with different stickers...I see the merits in the idea...low stand-over height.. large wheels for gyroscopic stability... and lighter than most other "kids" bikes on the market... but dont buy a "kids" bike your money is much better spent on a "childs" bike like a mini or micro bmx... then even second or third hand you will be surprised at its resale value.... for the love of god and the hate of the BYK please do not go there... As a bike mechanic we would draw straws to see who would be unfortunate enough to have to assemble the BYK... truly a painful experience

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for micro BMX, i bought my daughter a used 1 for $200 and would think it will sell for similar money after my son grows out of it.

USJ

Likes Dirt
Not sure on the team version, but my daughter had the E-350 and it really stepped up her riding. She started at 2 on a balance bike. Then on her 3rd birthday, she got and started riding a cheap k-mart 12" pedal bike without training wheels. 4th birthday was the BYK e-350. She quickly progressed, started riding faster, longer, better. The hand brakes on these bikes are not good enough to make me feel safe going without the coaster brake. Also, at 4 years old, they don't have the power in their hands. This bike rode great, and lasted her through this progression stage. But, she quickly outgrew this and for her 5th birthday, she got an Intense Mini-BMX. Now, this thing is the bomb. Sub 7kg, fast, good quality parts, hand brake (rear only, but it stops her as well as her old coaster brake). These tings are light, fast, and high quality. She now races BMX and we ride trails together on it. For trail days, I simply swap in a larger rear cog to reduce the gearing and to make it more confortable for trails. Becasue of the light weight, she can power up most hills.

If you can find a micro-mini-BMX that fits your child and budget, that is the best bet. But, I have to say that the BYK had a place in my daughter's progression and I thought it was a decent investment. I have cleaned a rebuilt it myself, and yes, the components are lower quality. But, it is still WAY better than any k-mart bike and better than many of the big brand (Giant, Trek, etc) kids MTB's.

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
Check out my daughter's specialized hotrock I posted here
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ying-this-for-my-Daughters-7th-birthday/page2

It weighs in at just over 10kg, so probably lighter than the BYK. BYK bikes also have thin rims where as the specialized is a bit wider.

I considered BMX for a while, but skinny rims and no gears deterred me.

My daughter is going really well on the bike and she definately appreciates gears. She would be walking a lot more without them.

The other day while riding the trail between Thredbo Diggings and Bullocks Flat, she said 'this is actually really, really, really good fun'. Yah for that.

The specialized is probably a bit big for a four year old. My daughter is a petite 6 year old but something to consider (if not down the track).