New bike, frame protection?

MacMan

Squid
Hi all.

I've spoiled myself during Trekfest and a new dual suspension trail bike is coming to join me shortly. It's the first new bike in more than 20 years, and I would like to keep it in good order.

What are your experiences with paint protection skins?

Bike is an XXL Trek Fuel EX8.

Likes Bikes
Hi all.

I've spoiled myself during Trekfest and a new dual suspension trail bike is coming to join me shortly. It's the first new bike in more than 20 years, and I would like to keep it in good order.

What are your experiences with paint protection skins?

Bike is an XXL Trek Fuel EX8.
Nice - I'm looking at the same bike. Please don't tell me how awesome it is. I'm trying to avoid buying a new bike and plan on getting a gumtree bargain.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Have also used invisiframe on two bikes. Fiddly to install but great for keeping scratches and heel rub off the paintwork. Would buy again if I was getting another carbon frame.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I just cheap out and get rolls of helicopter tape. Apply with soapy water and hair dryer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
+1 for invisiframe. Used it on two bikes so far; it looks great and provides excellent coverage. Costs a bit but worth it in the long run, even if all it does is stop gravel rash and clear coat scratching when you wash your bike.

MacMan

Squid
Nice - I'm looking at the same bike. Please don't tell me how awesome it is. I'm trying to avoid buying a new bike and plan on getting a gumtree bargain.
I'll bite my tongue then!

The hassle for me is that good XL/XXL bikes are few and far between. I've been hovering for more than a year, trying to decide between the more XC based bikes and something a little more suited to bumpy downhill stuff. It was between this and or an Anthem 29er and I chose the extra suspension. I hope I've made the right choice.

Oddjob, tape was essentially the approach I took with my last new bike and it worked very well for 20 years. It was much easier to apply to a straight tubed XC hardtail than I imagine this will be.

Thanks for the invisiframe testamonials. I've bought more than one motorcycle for less than I paid for this bike. I know wear and tear is inevitable. I would like to protect what I can. I've emailed them to see if they do something for a 23" frame.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Invisiframe.

In terms of options for frame wrap it’s either Invisiframe (from the UK) or Frameskin wrap (from Aus).

I’ve used both and prefer the Invisiframe. It’s a more accurate cut, conforms to all your weird frame shapes better and is easier to apply.

The Frameskin wasn’t a perfect fit and didn’t always conform to the frame - tended to lift off in a few places, and was much harder to get a smooth bubble free finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
Yep Invisiframe another +1. Have used them and also Frameskin.com.au and I felt the invisiframe stuff was easier to apply. Or maybe I just got better... ?

Google for a discount code I found one on some random forum for 10% off last time.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Last frame I invisiframed ended up cracking at a linkage mount and being replaced on warranty. So my replacement frame isn't wrapped and can cop all the rock abuse because I will just warranty if it cracks again..... first weekend out it copped a massive rock flicked up of the trail to the head tube so carbon is a mess already. and I wouldn't have installed frame protection there anyhow.

MacMan

Squid
I cheaped out and bought a 600x300mm piece of bonnet protector material from Autobarn. The freight alone for the UK kit was going to run into silly money. It took quite a bit of doing to make up patterns and fit it, but it will do the job.

Part of the decision was that nobody makes a kit for the 23" frame anyway.

And 943, the bike is a blast. I got one of the very last ones in that size. I was giggling out loud riding it for the first time. Just eats bumps. The old hard tail is going to get pretty dusty I think.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Breathing life into an old thread.
First carbon fibre frame, want to wrap it good (didn't set out to buy carbon but something came up).
I know nothing about wrapping.
I am looking at this: https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/lizard-skins-frame-protection-set-clear
Is there any pros/cons etc to certain stuff?
I would usually spent a few days researching before a purchase but want to buy as soon as possible so I can get out on the bike.
If postage us fast i feel possibly I might be sick some time this week and not have to go to work.. if you catch my drift.

Shredden

Knows his goats
For a cheap and quick option I was recommended this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-48mm-x-8m-clear-repair-tape_p1662684

I have done the seatstays and chainstays, top and sides of top tube, back of the seat tube, and bottom of the downtube with a bit to spare.

The only downside is it has a bit of a serrated/rough cut edge so it is a bit more visible than specific frame protection kits. I don't mind though, for the price I'm really happy with it. Could be worth a go.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your in or near Canberra I’m not sure what they charge but But check out Cykel Division They have some awesome protections and wraps on instagram and Facebook. I’m waiting for my new bike and think they will be high on my list. I’m not the diy type....

tobbogonist

a registered member
Easy, thanks everyone. Gorilla tape it is, that way im free to ride before work tomorrow.
I am not to fussed about how it looksdidnt particulary want to spend too much monies.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Easy, thanks everyone. Gorilla tape it is, that way im free to ride before work tomorrow.
I am not to fussed about how it looksdidnt particulary want to spend too much monies.
Also just note that when you remove it, it leaves a fair bit of residue. I removed and reapplied the one on the bottom of my down tube, and it took a bit of scrubbing with eucalyptus oil to remove the old sticky stuff.