New bike from insurance claim?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Alright so I have narrowed down my choice of bikes to 2 bikes

Merida 96 3000D Carbon 2011 Large with Sram XX1, Mavic Crossmark SLR rims, Onza Canis tyres, Sram XO brakes, ESI Chunky Grips, XTR pedals

or

Giant Anthem X Advanced SL0 2012 Large with Sram XX1, XTR Rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres, XTR brakes (eventually XO brakes), ESI Chunky grips XTR pedals

now the bike will be used for XC and do some 24hr races, etc

What would be the better bike to get, that I could get down to the lightest possible weight?

does the Merida use a BB30 format?
Will you get the chance to ride either bike before making the decision?

saltzzz

Likes Dirt
I have $7800 to play with to get a bike or bikes

I am biased in my purchase decisions. With $7800 to spend i would get a frame first then parts , probably a fully decked out bike with XTR/ XX1

SC Bronson / Solo
Trek Project 1 ? They are phasing off yearly models so its all good now knowing your bike wont depreciate every bloody year
Ibis HDR / HD / SLR / Ripley (whichever floats your boat 26/27.5/29)
Devinci
Pivot
Turner
Niner

The list goes on....

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Do some research over at
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/

They will be able to help you out with saving a few grams at the expense of thousands of dollars! :cheer2:
the insurance money is paying so not me

Will you get the chance to ride either bike before making the decision?
I used to own a giant anthem x advanced 2010 until it got stolen :(

I am biased in my purchase decisions. With $7800 to spend i would get a frame first then parts , probably a fully decked out bike with XTR/ XX1

SC Bronson / Solo
Trek Project 1 ? They are phasing off yearly models so its all good now knowing your bike wont depreciate every bloody year
Ibis HDR / HD / SLR / Ripley (whichever floats your boat 26/27.5/29)
Devinci
Pivot
Turner
Niner

The list goes on....
ill look into there stuff

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I used to own a giant anthem x advanced 2010 until it got stolen :(

If you want XC, I know my LBS was having a sale on all 2013 Specialized Epics - 20% off. Makes an S-Works Epic with full XTR $7999. Size medium comes in at around 10.2kg.

Where you based?

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
If you want XC, I know my LBS was having a sale on all 2013 Specialized Epics - 20% off. Makes an S-Works Epic with full XTR $7999. Size medium comes in at around 10.2kg.

Where you based?
but the specialized is 29er correct?

I'd like to stick to 26 size
Sydney based

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Pepsimax, not once have you indicated that you have wanted a 26" bikes specifically. Even your earlier posts indicated your expression towards a 29er! Case in point Trek 9.9

Your changing your mind more than a women changes theirs! What will tomorrows preference be a 36" unicycle, I wait with interest........l

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Pepsimax, not once have you indicated that you have wanted a 26" bikes specifically. Even your earlier posts indicated your expression towards a 29er! Case in point Trek 9.9

Your changing your mind more than a women changes theirs! What will tomorrows preference be a 36" unicycle, I wait with interest........l
Hmm Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL not trek fuel ex 9.9 is what i was looking at

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I here the Lee Shoy/Simpson household is upgrading soon to have a bigger garage to make way for all those 2014 bikes! 2014 S Works WC Epic is the rumour
Jesus, even I haven't heard that rumour!
There is a "wishlist" but the probabilit of that being fulfilled is very, very low indeed :(

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Alright so I got the process started today with the insurance company, after getting the police report, wrote down 3 bikes

- Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0
- Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1
- Giant Anthem X Advanced Sl0 2012

Should hear back from them soon

maybolem

Likes Bikes
Alright so I got the process started today with the insurance company, after getting the police report, wrote down 3 bikes

- Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0
- Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1
- Giant Anthem X Advanced Sl0 2012

Should hear back from them soon
Get one of the new anthem 27.5... I've been able to ride it.... and it is amazing. I suggest that you up size, and bring back the length of the stem a bit

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Get one of the new anthem 27.5... I've been able to ride it.... and it is amazing. I suggest that you up size, and bring back the length of the stem a bit
Well I still haven't heard back from the insurance company yet hmmm.

yeah I am looking at going to the giant demo day to test some bikes out.

Yeah I was going to look at changing the stem but probably leave the bike size to Large as I am only 6ft