New bike - on the budget end

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You would be kidding yourself if you think that bike would be anything like the bike that you can buy off the shelf... That bike would be custom made to his specifications... yes its a giant reign but nothing like the reign you or I could buy.
Dream on buddy. She is straight off the floor, with a few tweaks to set up. He would be quick on a Huffy, but says something that he chooses to race on that one.

Not doubting you didn't have fun on the one you talk about, but there are heaps of possibilities why, before blaming the bike outright. Could have been a set up issue with cockpit, tyre pressures or fork, or even a dud fork itself.

They sell reigns by the container load for a reason...

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Yes they do. .. cos they are cheap as chips with decent componentry.

The setup on mine was done correctly however it could have been a dud set of forks.

All I can do is recommend someone based off my experiences to go elsewhere
And if you can't speak from experience, what can you speak from. .. idealistic views?

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You would be kidding yourself if you think that bike would be anything like the bike that you can buy off the shelf... That bike would be custom made to his specifications... yes its a giant reign but nothing like the reign you or I could buy.

Just like in moto gp there is a big difference between a satellite team's bike and a factory team's bike... 'same' but very different
You sound very certain about something, that you don't know is a fact!

Running moto go team is in the 10's of millions of dollars, a bike team would be lucky to have a budget of a million. The roadies all ride off the shelf bikes ( as the rules stipulate), and there is plenty more professionalism in road riding than Mtb.

Just look at all the carbon bikes been ridden. Once upon a time, it might have been worthwhile to weld up a different geo alloy bike, but not for a carbon frame where it's a $100,000 for a one off mold.

I've sold my reign too fwiw, didn't suit my style of Hubbard riding, more trail/xc orientated bikes now

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Talking about things to the point of custom suspension valving, custom bushes to make minute changes in chassis geometry, custom stearing setups to change head angles that goes with a whole heap of r&d as a minimum. As for reigns and carbon fibre... I don't see any carbon fibre reigns getting around. Not the bike you buy off the shelf... and am happy to stick to that statement.

Do you really think people competing at the top level and winning are using standard bikes. .. anything that will give you a competitive edge is utilized... hence why it is not always the people with the best talent that win. It is normally the team with the most money being poured into it.

Oh and for cf molds. .. not so expensive to make for small runs. Its the ones which are designed for mass production that get expensive... but obviously those costs are subsidised by the larger sales from the bigger runs. Why do I know this. .. I have a lot of custom air intakes made out of cf for different motorbikes.

I like fluid dynamics and making things faster... expensive hobby up till the point where you sell them.

Last edited:

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I don't think you could call any reign a work of art... but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I think something like a nicolai is a work of art... even a yeti (like his current bike)... but a reign.. Stop trying to fight a losing battle.

Point is I had a reign 1 and it handled like crap even after getting things setup correctly (read suspension and lowering bars) and going to tubless (in an effort to get the thing to turn properly). .. and my suggestion is still to stay away from them. I dont want someone else wasting their money like I did.

Iv come from racing motorbikes (600ss) and ridden dirt bikes all my life... I love anything to do with two wheels but the reign was one thing that I was truly happy to get rid of... I actually felt bad for the guy who bought it off me. Hence why I sold it so cheap considering it was virtually brand new.

Last edited:

Chil

Likes Dirt
Point is I had a reign 1 and it handled like crap even after getting things setup correctly (read suspension and lowering bars) and going to tubless (in an effort to get the thing to turn properly). .. and my suggestion is still to stay away from them. I dont want someone else wasting their money like I did.
Just because it didn't work for you it may not be the case for someone else. Personal opinion is just that personal opinion. Perhaps you should state that it didn't suit you instead of trying to tell people to stay away from a bike that you didn't gel with.

To the OP try each bike until you find the one you gravitate towards. The one you feel the most comfortable and confident on regardless of spec, good luck.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think you could call any reign a work of art... but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I think something like a nicolai is a work of art... even a yeti (like his current bike)... but a reign.. Stop trying to fight a losing battle.

Do a search. Maybe I was taking the piss ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Last edited:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
to summarize this thread.

MrZ32 doesnt like Reigns because of a bad personal experience. This is fair enough different bikes for different people.

Reigns are cheaper and more common then boutique brands and havent had a major re-design in years possibly creating the perception that they are less able then some more recently designed or more expensive bikes. This perception may be unrelated to actual performance as new designs, fancy brands and paintwork are often to just make us feel good about our bike and the biggest difference will always be the rider.

outtacontrol sites personal evidence as well as the fact that professionals are doing well on reigns that despite MrZ32s experience they arent actually flawed bikes.

if we are going to start debating if the reign is a good bike by talking about our love for its paint schemes i think this debate has run its course.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I actually agree here. .. where was paint mentioned.

And as for the bike not suiting my riding style is wrong. However a set of defective forks may be the case.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I actually agree here. .. where was paint mentioned.

And as for the bike not suiting my riding style is wrong. However a set of defective forks may be the case.
so, you're telling people to stay away from a certain product as you didn't like one with possible defects... and presumably havent ridden one that is 100% ok? :dizzy:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i was just using paint as an example of what this debate could become given there was a mention of whether the giant is a "work of art" or not.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i was just using paint as an example of what this debate could become given there was a mention of whether the giant is a "work of art" or not.
I was trying for a little humour to lighten things up. I was referring to Chopsticks "carbon" Reign. Was in PYR awhile ago.

Maybe you should check it out ;)