New bike options.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hey gang. Hoping you can assist with my options for a new steed.

I am currently riding a 29r hardtail as it was a originally a dual use occasional commuter / weekend trail warrior bike.
I have decided I need something full squish and more suited to my unfit (read: talentless) riding style when off-road, an XC bike is not for me.

Options include anything aluminium frame and 120-140mm travel.

I just missed out on a scott spark 29er 120mm (the ol' XL frame dilemma), but have been offered a genius plus (https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/products/249567008/SCOTT-Genius-720-Plus-Bike). While this bike retails at $4.5K the groupset spec is pretty average - Deore with the upspec rear derailleur. That said, the frame and suss system is pretty solid and with new genius coming in, can get a pretty solid discount down to the $3-3.5k mark. Direct competition would be Trance 2.

So in this spec and price range, any other suggestions?

Cheers guys.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Search forum for similar threads...pretty sure there is one from a few weeks ago on this exact scenario, or very similar.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Another option could be the Trek Fuel EX 7. Its a bit on the heavy side (~14kg) but for the type of riding you're doing, should be fine.

Petero

Likes Dirt
The Ex7 is probably a step back going to a revelation fork. Ex8 was on the list but again, no XL's left till 2018 stock.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Definitely on the radar, they also had $500 off not long ago.

Q's:
1) Is Spectral plus tyre compatible / boost front and rear?
2) Differences in Rhythm and Performance fork? Both use GRIP damper.

I could upgrade the components on the Genius to XT for the price of the Spectral once delivered.. So depends if it rides that much better...
1) No
2) Rhythm Floating piston Grip damper grey upper tubes, Performance Black ano upper tubes, same damper (I think)

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Thanks Guys, this is now purely Spectral AL 6.0 v Genius 720 Plus, both can be had for very similar price.

Are the recommendations on the Spectral purely from a ride quality perspective or value for $$ or both?
Have a 2017 Spectral AL 6.0 in the house and the ride is great and spec is really good. Like it came std with 30mm internal rims which was not expected. Downside chuck the tyres (not TR)
Can't comment on the Genius as I know stuff all about it.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've a Spectral (albeit an CF 8 Ex). It rides as expected from a Horst link. Pedal platform is acceptable, but I found the standard shock (Monarch RT3) impossible to get feeling right without a custom tune. I'm 85kgs kitted up and I couldn't get it as supple as I'd like.

Also be aware that the Ex has 10mm more fork and 1x over the non Ex.

Canyon are one of the best value bikes for the money that you can buy.... no question. You won't be disappointed.

I changed a few things due to personal preference....
The Reverb went in the bin for a KS Lev, I swapped out the GX lever for an X01 for the lever adjustment, re-routed the internal cables, Pike got a Vorsprung Lupkappe and I've just put a Cane creek iL coil on it.

No matter what you buy, you'll end up swapping bits to suit your preference.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

andy t

Squid
I was going through similar thoughts about a month ago and settled on a Trek Fuel EX9 for $3850 down from $5200 retail. Trek have them on good deals as end of current season. Boost wheels, 1 x 11, Fox 130mm front (34's) and rear. Reverb dropper, can't go wrong really. Was also looking at the YT Jeffsy but that would be overkill for my riding ie 140mm with aggressive geometry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Correct - I would need an XL.
there is an XL carbon Santa Cruz Hightower frame for sale in Melbourne- let me know if you are interested and I will send you their details.

Canyons look great.................

Petero

Likes Dirt
I was going through similar thoughts about a month ago and settled on a Trek Fuel EX9 for $3850 down from $5200 retail. Trek have them on good deals as end of current season. Boost wheels, 1 x 11, Fox 130mm front (34's) and rear. Reverb dropper, can't go wrong really. Was also looking at the YT Jeffsy but that would be overkill for my riding ie 140mm with aggressive geometry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was keen on an EX8 until they sold out of XL's until the new years stock comes through..

there is an XL carbon Santa Cruz Hightower frame for sale in Melbourne- let me know if you are interested and I will send you their details.

Canyons look great.................
Hightower is probably in the dream bike section (above my price range). Also, Carbon scares me given my lack of skill..

The Canyons do look great. Just biting the bullet on something unridden that gets me...

Thanks for all the input. I'm demo-ing a plus bike on my usual trails come the weekend so will keep you informed.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a huge help but I'll give you my limited experience, I ride a Trance Adv and a friend rides a Spectral 7 EX, we both rode Genius 720 - but the LT version which I think had fox 36 forks on a shuttle day in Italy. We had a small amount of riding uphill - good for me as it was pretty heavy and I felt it was a fair bit more effort to get up the hill (the extensive Chianti consumption may have affected that though).

Going down it was a beast but not especially nimble, I think both of us thought it was a bit monster truck like. Again that's the beefier LT version so not a direct camparo. Was a huge amount of fun and saved me once when I got way more air than expected and ended up way offline, wouldn't swap my Trance for it.

So yeah that's all probably pretty useless info, I'd get the Caynon!