New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

Flow-Rider

Burner
I can't believe the gub is interested in funding any of this. Aint no local economy out there, there's like 20 ppl live there and they all got the same social security number (last name, address, DNA)
I looked at one of the feasibility studies done for the rail trail sections out in the middle of nowhere that cost upwards of 3.2 mil and they factored in people's health not going to hospitals and the whole cost was factored over a 30 year plan, I think they forgot to mention how much broken bones cost hospitals. It does bring a small amount of business to the town people but most of them couldn't be bothered.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If this fire out near Wisemans ferry jumps the river, the park and all their hard work will be to no avail..
on the upside, freeriding a forest after a fire has come through is fucking epic fun, unlimited lines!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If this fire out near Wisemans ferry jumps the river, the park and all their hard work will be to no avail..
on the upside, freeriding a forest after a fire has come through is fucking epic fun, unlimited lines!
Some of our popular local runs were developed after fire.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
but stromlo was waste land that had been disused by the forest commission for years..even when it was still an active pine plantation with picnic facilities, no one bothered to go out there because the cotter reserve was so close and much better

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Fire created the hill?

I rode there before the big fires. Unless I am not remembering correctly?
Stromlo was built on the site of an old foresty area that used to be covered in pine plantation, It had a picnic area called Blue Gums located up the valley..good place to go mushroom hunting, but no real trail network, most of the good trails were about 30mins away at a place called Blue Ridge
The bike park was built 3 years after the 2003 fires that wiped out about 70% of the surrounding bushland, in an effort to raise some morale for the local communities

I looked at one of the feasibility studies done for the rail trail sections out in the middle of nowhere that cost upwards of 3.2 mil and they factored in people's health not going to hospitals and the whole cost was factored over a 30 year plan, I think they forgot to mention how much broken bones cost hospitals. It does bring a small amount of business to the town people but most of them couldn't be bothered.
well someone better delete the injuries thread ASAP !!!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stromlo was built on the site of an old foresty area that used to be covered in pine plantation, It had a picnic area called Blue Gums located up the valley..good place to go mushroom hunting, but no real trail network, most of the good trails were about 30mins away at a place called Blue Ridge
The bike park was built 3 years after the 2003 fires that wiped out about 70% of the surrounding bushland, in an effort to raise some morale for the local communities
There were definitely trails at Stromlo before the fires but nothing "legal". They were pretty raw and agreed you wouldn't call it a network. You can still see where some of them went if you know where to look and a number of them were incoroporated into the current network. There was also the old running track that Deeks used to train on that went through the forest. Anyway back on topic..... any news on how the fires affected the area or how things are progressing?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I think there are doing some pretty serious back burning out at Wisemans, should stop the march east if the wind changes..
This fire looks to be of high concern at present, simply due to access or lack there of!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I think there are doing some pretty serious back burning out at Wisemans, should stop the march east if the wind changes..
This fire looks to be of high concern at present, simply due to access or lack there of!
The expectation is that the backburning will go someway to protecting the immediate vicinity of Wiseman's Ferry, Lower Portland and the MacDonald Valley but, under the right/wrong conditions, a spot over into Dharug, Mangrove Mountain and Putty or even Marramarra is considered virtually unstoppable until such time as it rains...a lot. Therefore, Glenworth Valley is very much still under threat.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
One of our local RFS guys posted this up this morning, he is gaining a following due to his humorous take on the fires. Our local crews have been away up north tackling the mid and far north Nsw fires and have just returned home to get back in the fray at Gospers Mountain.

Quoted - “After the emergency warning at the the Gospers mountain fire last night, people are clearly taking an interest in what is happening and what is going to happen. I have had a few questions, of which I will try and give you "sensible" answers and of course I have added a detailed image of the events ;)

Q1. How did it go last night?
A1. Well from all accounts so far most property was saved including the school, Colo Heights Rural Fire station and the community Hall - From the footage I have seen this morning and over night - nothing short of heroic! Well done to all agencies involved. Bloody legends.

Q2. (my favourite) why is there a clear area in the middle of the burnt area.
A2. no news on this officially, and from what i saw on the fire-line this week, this can only be a either a patch of super evolved unburnable trees..... or the maps don't quite line up. I am going with option 1, but you make up your own mind.

Q3. With the rain clouds that should help put the fire out?
A3. Not these clouds, they are holding onto every little bit of moisture they have, so while it helps cools things down - today - tomorrow is back hot and the little fluffy grey things haven't done anything... we really need some big sooky wet clouds to drop buckets of water to put out this behemoth of a fire.

Thanks to all the comments yesterday - was fun. I did see one comment however that I loved from Yolanda Lyon. At the end of this fire season both federal and state governments should put on parades in the major centres for all the agencies and their families who support them in these times of need. I for one couldn't go and fight without the support of my family.

Just a thought for all you good people out there!”

I’m off to Melbourne for a week so I’m hoping our bikes don’t get melted if the worst happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
That would be a brilliant follow up to the roof vs hail storm.
I want it to happen... 11 months on and we are still no closer to resolution, had to move out 3 weeks ago after our “safe to stay in”home was declared uninhabitable due to positive tests for asbestos dust in the bathroom and living areas.

Burning down would mean a clean result.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I want it to happen... 11 months on and we are still no closer to resolution, had to move out 3 weeks ago after our “safe to stay in”home was declared uninhabitable due to positive tests for asbestos dust in the bathroom and living areas.

Fucking hell! That's gotta be a reassuring time?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Fucking hell! That's gotta be a reassuring time?
Yeah stoke levels are high, wife is very unhappy.
We were told in January that we didn’t need to move out as it was all clear. We only have 12 months of temp accom included on the policy so decided to run with that recommendation until we knew when repairs or demo would start. So we stayed, merrily exposed until my wife got really sick for a few months and we thought it might be mould related so asked for testing, no mention yet as to mould but tests came back positive for asbestos and told to move out that day. 11 months on and no repairs or settlement. Yay for insurance!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That will teach you for doing the right thing! What a cock up. Shit news all round there.

Any chance the asbestos is covered by the state gov buy back stuff that was going on last year? I never wanted asbestos kn my house more!!!