New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

T.3

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if there is a significant cost difference between buying and running a chairlift that needs to operate in sub zero temperatures to one that only has to operate in more moderate temperatures?

It's never going to be as cheap as a Hiace with a trailer obviously but just curious.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I know that we've all been hurt before with empty promises but what flavour hat sauce do you prefer?

Who chose that edit music? Dick music..whatever that is! Some 12 yr old editing for them I suppose because if they’re older then that, well something..
Blew the Froth off my frothing of the Video!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
For the Aussie resorts with lifts now, how many utilize the existing Services for bikes outside of winter? What’s the cost for use of these services?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'll be interested to see how their business case stacks up. Obviously all of this is not going to be free, and the bulk of traffic will be weekends.

Running a lift 365 days a year must be based on some confident projections.

Canberra still has the mooted gondola for Stromlo floating around as an idea, but presumably as a government-funded project.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
FYI Perisher is putting in a new 4 chair to replace the leichardt T bar.
Length is 488m
elevation 121m
Cost is 4.2 million

There’s also currently a few older chairlift being renewed so may be available to purchase second hand in the near future.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Length is 488m
elevation 121m
Cost is 4.2 million

There’s also currently a few older chairlift being renewed so may be available to purchase second hand in the near future.
Yep, I know about the Leichhardt upgrade. I was thinking Glenworth might be buying a decommissioned chair.

Either way, a chair and all these trails will be costing somebody a lot of money. I hope they get loads of punters and it's a big success.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I'll be interested to see how their business case stacks up. Obviously all of this is not going to be free, and the bulk of traffic will be weekends.

Running a lift 365 days a year must be based on some confident projections.

Canberra still has the mooted gondola for Stromlo floating around as an idea, but presumably as a government-funded project.
Yeah, that aint gonna happen in Canberra...Canberra folks like to talk the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk - their full of shit!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Got sydney to Newcastle as the catchment for this park. Numbers stack up if there’s a lift. Don’t even need to count to know it’ll work..

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Got sydney to Newcastle as the catchment for this park. Numbers stack up if there’s a lift. Don’t even need to count to know it’ll work..
Loving the positive views!
There’s a nice aspect from the aerial shots I’ve seen so maybe a bit of scenic lift rides for non participants could also factor in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Length is 488m
elevation 121m
Cost is 4.2 million

Buller just put in a new 6-pack to replace the old Blue Bullet too - for a lazy $6mil.

Hopefully they’ve got their hands on a second hand one. Although I can’t imagine they’re cheap to run. Even Buller had pulled out of firing up the Horse Hill chair this summer.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Falls Creeks detach 4 was $9mil. Many of the replaced lifts are at the end of their life expectancy (30yrs). Australian ski resorts don’t upgrade lifts without serious justification. If they are able to get a second hand lift it will come with the associated challenge’s of obtaining spare parts for superseded infrastructure whilst still having to adhere to the Aireal cableways code of practice. That being said I would love to see it get up and it’s proximity to both Sydney and Newcastle definitely provide the customer base.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if there is a significant cost difference between buying and running a chairlift that needs to operate in sub zero temperatures to one that only has to operate in more moderate temperatures?

It's never going to be as cheap as a Hiace with a trailer obviously but just curious.
Throw a couple of heaters in the hydraulic oil tank and that’s about the difference in my opinion. Maybe the rope would need to be slightly different in construction but the cost difference couldn’t be that significant.

It’s not exactly like Australia gets much sub zero temps - even at the “snow”

Reactions: T.3

Switch

huskier headed gent
Throw a couple of heaters in the hydraulic oil tank and that’s about the difference in my opinion. Maybe the rope would need to be slightly different in construction but the cost difference couldn’t be that significant.

It’s not exactly like Australia gets much sub zero temps - even at the “snow”
Tell that to the hundreds of people who's diesel's froze this year at Hotham, plenty of days at -10, throw in wind chill and it is getting down there. Not as cold as the Northern hemisphere but we suffer with freeze thaw conditions that can actually cause more damage than constant negative temperatures.

Reactions: T.3

Binaural

Eats Squid
They purchased the kurrajong grass karts t bar.. fuck it, that’s good enough for me
Fuuuuuck t-bars. I hate those things at the snow, and I hated them at Kurrajong. I managed to scratch the shit out of a new bike on one of those.