New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

climberman

Likes Dirt
Early bird pricing to get some preseason revenue, same goes for shuttle services like Blue Dirt, big discount on season passes but we were discussing day passes. Not sure what the percentages are for the breakdown of season pass holders to short term users but it is substantially greater in the short term users when it comes to ski resorts.
Yeah fer sure - the massively lower prices and inclusions though has meant there are many many thousands of season pass holders in the ski resorts now - I have heard Perisher sold 10,000 of theirs. Winter only passes used to be well north of $1K!

Pricing aside, has anyone seen any actual info on timing?
Like, when's a DA going in, when do they plan to turn dirt, when are they opening their stage 1, what's in stage 1, etc?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If they don’t have development approval yet then that’s a serious concern for them. Hopefully they have the necessary approvals if they are announcing it the way they have.

There will be potential regulator complications in traffic management, ecological impacts, water/sewage etc. and also risks of local opposition.

It’s nowhere near me but certainly an interesting privately funded (?) venture. It’s promoted as being of a similar scale to Derby etc. but I imagine wouldn’t have same relative economic benefits in the Sydney surrounds region.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never heard this place mentioned, and is actually in Sydney; Jubilee Park in Wahroonga:

http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/Services_...arks_and_playgrounds/Jubes_Mountain_Bike_Park

Not much to it trail-wise, but looks like a bit of effort has been put in. Anybody been?

And any further news on Glenworth?
I've been to Jubes - calling it a 'Bike Park' is a massive stretch. It's minute, a small dirt eroded pump track, a short (like 400m) 'flow' trail and a tiny skills area.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ypu just need to embrace the hype @Tubbsy! Substance is irrelevant, chase the likes.

Plus it isn't in Sydney, it's in the shitty wastelands of the central coast. They're probably waiting on a fresh access road plan from the council. One with too many roundabouts

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Well it's not in Sydney for reasons already discussed.

Anyway, I'm happy it's in the wastelands of the Central Coast because it's not far from my parents' place.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Negotiations are all but finalised with the bike hire fleet sponsor and their website is ready to launch but just waiting on final dotted i's and crossed t's, you can give thanks to beaurocracy for the delay but the opening dates are still on schedule.
Do they have the necessary planning and environmental approvals ?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The website text changed from “The froth is coming” to “ready to shred” or something like that.

There seem to be people on here who no more, but it’s all very secretive like a new iPhone launch.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I did see something in a facebook group the other day about a potential kerfuffle between the landholders and trail builders about management and, of course, money, and the originally agreed plan changing. All hearsay and rumour, but I'll try and dig it up...

Edit:
So, this is from the Sydney MTB Riders FB Page, I don't know how accurate the comment is, and while I'm hoping it's completely off the mark (as I'm 30 minutes from the proposed location and would freaking love this!), when money actually gets involved, people and boards get all silly!

that thing is political nightmare last i heard glenworth valley (GV) commissioned synergy (S) to build the trails - S agreed under condition that they run the park and give a cut to GV but now GV wants to run the show. So S might pull out and GV will be opening a new tender for trailbuilder - thing to note GV is currently only family/corporate events oriented tourism horse riding quad bikes and have no fkn idea about mtb just wants more money and would probably fk it all up and made all green trails to milk ritch common folk their current clientele not specifically mtb oriented. so if they do it expect an expensive scaled up version of the other well know sydney mtb destination

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I did see something in a facebook group the other day about a potential kerfuffle between the landholders and trail builders about management and, of course, money, and the originally agreed plan changing. All hearsay and rumour, but I'll try and dig it up...

Edit:
So, this is from the Sydney MTB Riders FB Page, I don't know how accurate the comment is, and while I'm hoping it's completely off the mark (as I'm 30 minutes from the proposed location and would freaking love this!), when money actually gets involved, people and boards get all silly!
That sounds like an internet hero with no real friends because he lost them all talking out his arse.

Binaural

Eats Squid
That's a bit worrying. Interesting move by Synergy to try and go from a trail builder to a facilities management outfit. They did an OK job in limited space at Hornsby, but it opened over a year late. I hope they refrain from over-engineering the Glenworth trails in the same way, the Hornsby trails don't have nearly enough natural obstacles and technical sections (this may be the terrain though).