New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

Anyone ever heard of Maydena?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep,. They are going so well down there , every second social media post is sbout book now, avoid disappointment. Its so good when these businesses let us know this info.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yep,. They are going so well down there , every second social media post is sbout book now, avoid disappointment. Its so good when these businesses let us know this info.
Why all the saltiness on other mtb ventures?

Did you not go through all the same hurdles and hoops when getting GV off the ground?

I can remember the threads on GV back on Farkin, you faced the same kind of negative stuff on your own venture. Yet still you’ve come out with an awesome park that people love to visit & go back to.

You have stayed off this site for years and then suddenly when a new park gets going you want to come in and stir the pot.

The guys involved in this all love mtb as much as you do, enough so to try and do something for the benefit of all riders. People will still go to GV and Thredbo, they will still travel to Maydena, Smithfield or Fat tyre Farm. They probably won’t go to Jubes.
But they will also be able to travel a short distance from a major city with a massive populationand experience mountain biking with a difference to anything else we have currently. This will mean more people getting into the sport, more people traveling for the sport they now enjoy. More people to your park.

Just give it a chance. I did, the moment I heard the idea, I backed it and am proud to say I’m in the VIP.

Final Update

Its been a long time since ive been on this site..

Greenvalleys Mountain Bike Park is approved , legal and opens to the public in december 2015..

Its been a battle, financially and emotionally..

I am thankfull to everyone who has helped, those still with me and those who are not..

I have an awesome crew, and Greenvalleys will become the boutique MTB park of Australia..

I'll see you all soon shredding at GV

Nick

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
enough so to try and do something for the benefit of all riders
Well someone believes the hype...they are doing this for their benefit, their financial benefit. I don't have a problem with that either, I wish them well with their venture and that it may rain money into their pockets. But if there was no money to be made from it, they wouldn't open the park. If the market dries up, the park will close. This is not being done for the benefit of some mythical biker bro code. This is a business and we (and so are a lot of other people) are their potential customers.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden GV it was great I had a fun time good trails, nice set up good vibe, but there is honestly no comparison to what's on offer at Maydena (yes been there too)..... just sayin...

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Well someone believes the hype...they are doing this for their benefit, their financial benefit. I don't have a problem with that either, I wish them well with their venture and that it may rain money into their pockets. But if there was no money to be made from it, they wouldn't open the park. If the market dries up, the park will close. This is not being done for the benefit of some mythical biker bro code. This is a business and we (and so are a lot of other people) are their potential customers.
Just like guys who run bike shops, gotta afford those Porsche’s and rolexes somehow.

If you sat down with these guys or went for a ride with them, all they have is enthusiasm for riding and the mtb community.

Like I said I heard the idea early on and backed it 100%

Now where’s my Koolaid

Last edited:
We are doing just fine! Thanks for your concern though, guys (if we are honest it’s a little cold down here, but we’ll live). We did get affected by pesky bush fires this year, which wiped out our busiest month of the year, but we still hosted over 25k uplift days and many, many other happy riders and visitors.

Our customer satisfaction survey showed we are averaging ~8.5 out of 10 across all metrics, so we can be better (deep down though we know some people are just hard to please). Still, we’ll only rest (a bit) when those are 10’s.

Winter is a quiet time for us, we keep our doors open as much as anything because we love our full time staff and want to do what’s best by them. We do more than enough trade through the warmer months to keep afloat and continue investing in our trails facilities- we’ve invested a further nearly $2m into our facility in the last 12 months alone. We aren’t profitable yet (and this doesn’t bother us one bit), but we aren’t losing money either- and we continue to invest in trails and facilities (we’ll have another 10-15km+ of trail in by Easter next year!).

We can’t and won’t comment on the Glenworth crews fundraising efforts or their project- that’s none of our business. We are happy to provide comment on our membership program though (since we got dragged into the conversation). Firstly, we didn’t host a crowd funding campaign- we sold lifetime memberships, and never pre sold uplift passes until much closer to our opening (we did this to allow folks to plan their holidays with us, rather than to raise development funds). These are different things- we didn’t need to raise money for our project, the memberships were used to help us build our long term customer base. We sold 600 memberships (a sell out for us), 300 premium memberships ($449) and 300 standard memberships ($249). You can do the maths. The total sales were less than 10% of the total cost of our stage 1 development (where we opened). When we launched our membership sales we sold over $150k in memberships in the first hour- which we were pretty proud of. Since launching the program we’ve had just 5 membership transfers (less than 1% of memberships sold). Was our program perfect- certainly not, but we promised our members things, and we have and will continue to deliver on those promises.

Building bike parks isn’t easy. We’ve offered to provide (free) advice to the Glenworth guys, as we did for Greenvalleys back in the day (remember, guys?). We certainly don’t know it all but we’ve learnt plenty of lessons the hard way, and are happy to share them with anyone making a go of it in the industry. Seeing more bike parks succeed is the best thing for all of us.

Cheers,

Simon French

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Seeing more bike parks succeed is the best thing for all of us.

Cheers,

Simon French
Thanks for weighing in Simon.

My apologies for the membership comparison, I was just trying to show that people got behind your idea even before the place was built.

One little thing I did before laying down my cash was contact some RB members who got into the Maydena Collective at the first opportunity. I asked why they did it and the response was overwhelmingly not about getting lifetime discounts or other special deals but it was about backing something for the Mtb community that will be here for years to come.

We didnt have Whistler or Queenstown (apart from Thredbo) here, where there is existing infrastructure with lifts, accomodation, the ability to host events that get people excited about our sport.

But we are getting there, trail building companies, towns, clubs, even individuals are putting themselves out there to push for more legitimized facilities. We can’t all
Complain about limited places to ride and be behind the scenes slagging off those trying to give us something.

I’m going to opt out of this thread for a little while and wait for the next release of info from the Glenworth crew.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
We are doing just fine! Thanks for your concern though, guys (if we are honest it’s a little cold down here, but we’ll live). We did get affected by pesky bush fires this year, which wiped out our busiest month of the year, but we still hosted over 25k uplift days and many, many other happy riders and visitors.

Our customer satisfaction survey showed we are averaging ~8.5 out of 10 across all metrics, so we can be better (deep down though we know some people are just hard to please). Still, we’ll only rest (a bit) when those are 10’s.

Winter is a quiet time for us, we keep our doors open as much as anything because we love our full time staff and want to do what’s best by them. We do more than enough trade through the warmer months to keep afloat and continue investing in our trails facilities- we’ve invested a further nearly $2m into our facility in the last 12 months alone. We aren’t profitable yet (and this doesn’t bother us one bit), but we aren’t losing money either- and we continue to invest in trails and facilities (we’ll have another 10-15km+ of trail in by Easter next year!).

We can’t and won’t comment on the Glenworth crews fundraising efforts or their project- that’s none of our business. We are happy to provide comment on our membership program though (since we got dragged into the conversation). Firstly, we didn’t host a crowd funding campaign- we sold lifetime memberships, and never pre sold uplift passes until much closer to our opening (we did this to allow folks to plan their holidays with us, rather than to raise development funds). These are different things- we didn’t need to raise money for our project, the memberships were used to help us build our long term customer base. We sold 600 memberships (a sell out for us), 300 premium memberships ($449) and 300 standard memberships ($249). You can do the maths. The total sales were less than 10% of the total cost of our stage 1 development (where we opened). When we launched our membership sales we sold over $150k in memberships in the first hour- which we were pretty proud of. Since launching the program we’ve had just 5 membership transfers (less than 1% of memberships sold). Was our program perfect- certainly not, but we promised our members things, and we have and will continue to deliver on those promises.

Building bike parks isn’t easy. We’ve offered to provide (free) advice to the Glenworth guys, as we did for Greenvalleys back in the day (remember, guys?). We certainly don’t know it all but we’ve learnt plenty of lessons the hard way, and are happy to share them with anyone making a go of it in the industry. Seeing more bike parks succeed is the best thing for all of us.

Cheers,

Simon French
This is all people are looking for from GV... a coherent, well written, informative, and grammatically correct lengthy reply.....Just to demonstrate some thorough capability and outline the plans.

Like everyone my fingers are crossed being Sydney based, and I'll probably jump on the early passes at some stage, I just want to see a bit more than what's been provided

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Things are not that black & white, FP. How a venture evolves is also important.

This new place may be the most awesomest thing ever but if the road to get there is paved with obfuscation, poor information & bro talk it needs to be pointed out.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I can't imagine how someone would consider donating money to the business based upon the lack of information available. Sure, there are lots of 'at full tilt' aspirations but as @pink doodle notes, they surely have started this up as a commercial venture, not for love of the community.

If it is for love and has no solid business case then it's destined to fail.

If it is a commercial venture then it should stack up commercially with well informed investors, not crowd funding from the poorly informed / hopeful. Start smaller, grow, make it clear that is how it will work.

Maybe the 'inner circle of trust' has more information and/or confidence in the proponents than the general public could reasonably have based upon the information made available. They should show some progress, confirm all approvals are in place and be clear on what, if any, hurdles they still need to overcome if they are seeking public investment.

I think people are right to be excited but cautious.

jrewing

Eats Squid
They can’t lose if they eventually build it. People have short imaginations, and short of calling everyone cum-guzzlers, they'll kill it.
The island Mx park that's about to open, past Newcastle, had everyone hyped up but took four years to get to completion. The hype is back, they spent millions and did by all reports a killer job.
Actually they could call people cum guzzlers and still win by the sounds of it.
Only a Nasty Recession could hurt these parks but lucky there's no signs of one of those around!!!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
short of calling everyone cum-guzzlers
I do hope that becomes the name of a run or better yet the chair lift!

I totally appreciate that a business doesn't run on thanks and neither does a shuttle pig. But if all you "for the community" Fan Bois really believe that, throw your money at a club or trail association and get out for a build day. Those volunteer ran not for profit organisations are the grass roots community building advocates mountain biking needs. If you just want to be a consumer in a market...then for sure get on board the pay for use stuff and live large! Both have a valid place in the bike world but there is a big difference.