New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing that shits me about this thread is that some people seem to feel that just because there was froth, they are now owed something regardless of the fact they paid nothing. Others seem to have an axe to grind with the builder.
Yeah I have noticed that. Not sure if it's petty jealousy or what, but yes there are definite undertones here. I just think they could've taken a page from the Bare Creek book. There are nice little updates on whats happening, the stoke is building nicely and you can see real progress. GVBP just seem missing in action.

It‘s not public tax payer money, and the builders are having a go at their idea on private property; many hours of many people’s own time has obviously gone into this, and if it wasn’t a great plan well shit, are we all better for stroking our chins and saying “told ya so” from our couches?
Definitely not.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
It might open up opportunities for other like minded investors knowing that the support and need for a facility like this is has the backing of the wider community if it gets delivered in the area..The froth is there, just need someone to pull it out of the keg!
If the whole project is bogged down in governmental bullshit like council approvals etc, that's fine, nothing they can do will expedite the process, but if its simply a lack of funds, then they are dead in the water...time to cash out, and let someone else have a crack.
No one will think less of Synergy if they skulk off into the bushes and hand the reigns over to someone else if its gets the project going, but if they just throw in the towel with nothing for the punters, i'm sure that will hurt their reputation quite severely..

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There will always be a clash of MTB community expectations vs business viability until MTB goes more main stream in NSW.

We are too use to ridding trails for free and tend to only want to pay for something different that we can’t get on free trails.

If any one is aware of the situation in the Gong with greenvalleys you will know that very few locals rode there, not because the park is not worth it. There has just been a shit fight over the years that has led to people staying away.

LPG

likes thicc birds
If any one is aware of the situation in the Gong with greenvalleys you will know that very few locals rode there, not because the park is not worth it. There has just been a shit fight over the years that has led to people staying away.
The Greenvalleys shitfight wasn't really the private vs free though. It was personalities and control issues as far as I have heard. I dont want to start posting what I've heard as I wasnt directly involved but it sounds like people failing to effectively work together towards what should be a common goal.

did anybody who invested on the go fund me page with the promise of "stoke packs" ever receive them?
Pretty sure they were the beers photographed above.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Greenvalleys shitfight wasn't really the private vs free though. It was personalities and control issues as far as I have heard. I dont want to start posting what I've heard as I wasnt directly involved but it sounds like people failing to effectively work together towards what should be a common
Yep, there are always 2 sides to the story and I am on neither.

The point was that what started at GVs as very much as a community spirit thing, turned very much into a business thing.

At the end of the day this is a business that can hopefully be successful and support the community and not the other way round.

Yep, there are always 2 sides to the story and I am on neither.

The point was that what started at GVs as very much as a community spirit thing, turned very much into a business thing.

At the end of the day this is a business that can hopefully be successful and support the community and not the other way round.
Muz you are a sham.. My park is so much more than a business mate. It's the largest MTB community in Australia with 890 odd current club members. And with that I charge fuck all for a shuttle day, club members can ride gv for free under their own steam, plus discounts to absolutely everything.

. You would only have to look at the lack of community and in house bitching on the page or pages you are admin of on social media to see the crappy self entitled groups you are promoting your clothing and bike shop to.

And as for gong and gv comment. What are you talking about. 8 dicks who dont ride at the park. You being one of them. Happy trails champ

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wow this thread just keeps on delivering. Admins, can we put this thread out of our misery?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Muz you are a sham.. My park is so much more than a business mate. It's the largest MTB community in Australia with 890 odd current club members. And with that I charge fuck all for a shuttle day, club members can ride gv for free under their own steam, plus discounts to absolutely everything.

. You would only have to look at the lack of community and in house bitching on the page or pages you are admin of on social media to see the crappy self entitled groups you are promoting your clothing and bike shop to.

And as for gong and gv comment. What are you talking about. 8 dicks who dont ride at the park. You being one of them. Happy trails champ
This is not Muz... and you are such a paranoid dick.
Get over your self.
What turns people away from your park is this kind of thing!
I wish you and the park all the best but I am not interested in riding there or being part of your community.

jrewing

Eats Squid

Been in the sport forever. Greenvalleys is well loved and the events there are awesome. Free push runs for members is awesome. The only negative i ever hear of Greenvalleys is that Nick has moments of randomness and flying off the handle. Seen it, heard it... but no ones perfect and he had a vision ages ago and what he has built up is admirable.

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
So not withstanding the last few pages of angry words, what is the official status of this? Is there an opening date floating around somewhere?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
So not withstanding the last few pages of angry words, what is the official status of this? Is there an opening date floating around somewhere?
Last I heard they were pushing for an Easter2020 opening, but that was before the world went to shit..It has gone very quiet with any updates or progress, and just checked and the Facebook page has now been turned off too, you draw your own conclusions!
On a more positive note, has anybody ridden Dungog?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I wonder if this is the proposal that got knocked on the head . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...9_b0hrscW4qHUpE5P3VEdoWF5Kqlp50OHTNbDGitpMXZ8 under the heading the trail forward .
No, that’s more to do with Kincumber Mountain and some issues with trails on public lands.

Prepare for a lengthy cut n paste essay from this article

“Council started a Mountain Bike Feasibility Study in June 2019, with extensive community consultation, including 1,949 completed surveys as well as 25 targeted attendees over two face-to-face focus group discussions.

A detailed discussion paper has been prepared that presents the findings of the consultation, a review of the current locations for mountain biking on the Coast, a selection of case studies, site selection criteria, and a feasibility analysis including options and recommendations.

These will be reported to councillors by the end of October with a staff recommendation to publicly exhibit the discussion paper and undertake stage two community engagement in November.

At Council’s August 10 meeting, Deputy Mayor Jane Smith called for the establishment of a working group to consider options and potential for a dedicated mountain biking facility outside environmentally sensitive lands.

Councillors rejected Cr Smith’s Motion which effectively would have seen bikers excluded from riding in Coastal Open Space System (COSS) lands.

Cr Smith told fellow councillors that the environmental integrity of COSS lands, which were established 36 years ago by former Gosford Council in the face of community opposition, was under threat from damage inflicted by bikers.

She was backed by Cr Louise Greenaway, who said that while mountain bike riding was exhilarating, the sport was “death by a thousand cuts” for environmentally sensitive land.

“There is only so much the bush can tolerate,” she said.

Leif Arnebark, a representative of the Central Coast Mountain Trail Bike Club and a member of Central Coast Mountain Bike Trail Alliance, addressed councillors in the public forum preceding the meeting.

The club started about 20 years ago and manages Ourimbah Mountain Trail Bike Park in Ourimbah State Forest under a Forest Permit issued by Forestry Corporation of NSW.

Arnebark told councillors that the Coast was a perfect environment for mountain bikers yet had not one single metre of sanctioned mountain bike trail within its natural spaces.

He said the sport had no more environmental footprint than bushwalking and that the National Parks and Wildlife Service considered mountain bike trails to be an appropriate use of natural space.

“Residents and tourists who engage in active lifestyle pursuits within bushland grow to value that,” he said.

“It is time instead to focus on the positives that this amazing form of recreation offers.”

He said mountain bike riding was good for physical health, mental health, social interactions and conservation, and could potentially be an economic driver through ecotourism.

Arnebark said mountain biking essentially only occurred within environmental lands, with bushland being intrinsic to the sport.

“Removing mountain biking from the bush is like trying to remove surfing from the beach, one simply does not exist without the other,” he said.

He called instead for a mountain biking strategy with a formalised sustainable trail network.

Cr Bruce McLachlan said the Central Coast’s land had to be shared by the whole community and Cr Chris Holstein said that while he was a great supporter of COSS, he preferred to wait for the results of a feasibility study currently underway.

After lengthy debate, councillors voted to defer action pending the results of the Mountain Bike Feasibility Study which is expected to be ready for an October Council meeting.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Cheers @foxpuppet . From reading that I take that this council is so backwards to any development . Looks like any trail development in this area is a no go ?