New bike: Street trials or dirt jumper?

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,

I'm after some input on a new bike purchase. At the start of the current lock down, I borrowed a Polygon Trid off a mate to see if I would enjoy owning a dirt jumper. Turns out I do and so does the wife. I've since bought her a Commencal Absolut and we've been out riding the local street/industrial areas every single day.

It's time to hand the Polygon back and I need to purchase something for myself. On the DJ bike, I have pretty much spent all my time track standing, trying to learn back hops, 180s and fakies as well as general tooling around the streets with the little bloke.

I'm wondering whether a 24" Street trials bike would be worth considering instead of another Absolut for myself.

Is owning a Street Trials bike something I will instantly regret since it will suck at everything above walking pace? Would a DJ with lower gearing be a better compromise? Whilst I'm not overly interested in hitting big dirt jumps, having the option to head to the local jumps and pump track is appealing.

My 41yr old brain tells me that a DJ is the smarter more versatile choice, but my 20yr old heart still wants a trials bike.

Anyone care to offer some thoughts?

Cheers,
Scott