New bridge/ramp at Ourimbah

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
new ladder roll looks crap, really like the older style.

[Squid edit: Discussion taken here to avoid going OT in picture thread]

Last edited by a moderator:

Plow King

Little bit.
new ladder roll looks crap, really like the older style.
The track had been beat up, rutter and someone moved the rock which meant you couldn't drop it aswell, it was basically a huck to flat which was very unsmooth. I think all the riders agree'd that the wooden roll-in made the track far better.

Did it not rain up there today or something? It was raining all day in Sydney.
Looks like the track was dusty:confused:
It was dry all day, up until the second run when it started raining heavily. Everyone got one dry race run in. The track was in good condition and props to the guys for doing work on it, they did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
The track had been beat up, rutter and someone moved the rock which meant you couldn't drop it aswell, it was basically a huck to flat which was very unsmooth. I think all the riders agree'd that the wooden roll-in made the track far better.
Cool. So when do we cement the rock garden, or should we just put another ewok village there?

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Meh, the rest of the rockgarden doesn't have hucks to an uphill/off camber landing.
Wow what an exaggeration. Not only is that landing NOT off-camber, it's NOT uphill either. Flat landing it may be, but far from what you wrote. Yes it's difficult, but 90% of riders could do it. If a ramp was needed, it should've been built as a B-line. There's no challenge left in what was one of the hardest bits of the track.

Plow King

Little bit.
Wow what an exaggeration. Not only is that landing NOT off-camber, it's NOT uphill either. Flat landing it may be, but far from what you wrote. Yes it's difficult, but 90% of riders could do it. If a ramp was needed, it should've been built as a B-line. There's no challenge left in what was one of the hardest bits of the track.
If you want a challenge you can just not ride on the roll in, you can huck off the side if you please...

Plow King

Little bit.
Why would I take the drop line now when it's slower? See my point...
Yes, But you want to be challenged, so do the drop if its enjoyable. But do the pallet roll in, in a race run... the pallet allows you to carry much more speed into the next section, IMO hitting the next section with more speed would be more challenging than hucking to flat.

The wooden roll in was probably also put their to reduce erosion and maintanence on the track.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Yes, But you want to be challenged, so do the drop if its enjoyable. But do the pallet roll in, in a race run... the pallet allows you to carry much more speed into the next section, IMO hitting the next section with more speed would be more challenging than hucking to flat.
Yes, I want to be challenged in my race run. How shit did the road gap at the Stromlo National Championships look when the majority of the Elite riders took the B-Line because it was faster. I'm sure that impressed the spectators and media :rolleyes:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like it,though i liked the drop.I'm in it for my bike to last.There were some times coming off that drop were i thought my bike got munted.Either way i'd still ride that track with or with out the wood.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Well I guess we were lucky that only afew specators and no media showed up. You can be challenged in your race run... Like I said it allows you to hit the next section far quicker...
Are you running out of ammo to argue with? Seriously, the next section of track is downhill and doesn't need a fast run in to pick up speed. You've ridden there more than enough to know that most riders brake in that section.

Maybe you should've stuck with the erosion issue as I'd have a lot more respect for this bridge/ramp if it was put in for this reason.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why was it put in? As last time i was there(start of the year) it was eroded some and there was potential for damaged bikes and carnage(which is all apart of riding,and as you said makes it challenging).As the fact of it allows you to go faster into the section i found that you could get enough speed into that rock fire road as it was,just meant you needed to go that bit harder.

As i said before i like it now but was happy enough riding it as it was.

But as any track does,it eventually erodes away and i guess this increased the longevity of the track and caused less injury.(if any of this makes sense :confused:)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Can some one post some pics so I can see exactly where we are talking about? I seriously hope it's not what I'm thinking!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You're shitting me??!!

No way, sorry, but that seriously sucks balls. That's got Manly Damn written all over it.

A roll down on a rock garden. Not what I'd call DH-esque.

As Squid said, the B-line is now the fastest. That's antithetic to the spirit of the sport.

Last edited:

the_ginge

Bike Shed Mortdale
I agree with Squidly and Johnny, the only challenge of the track has been taken away, we might have to be careful now, and watch out for XC riders riding up the rock garden, if any one was having difficulty rider off a 3ft drop, i might recomend taking up ping pong, i heard that is a non contact sport, and while im here.

Im on farkin, hahaha