New chain crunchy noises

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi thinktank,
I just replaced my shimano chain for the second time on this groupset.. Done about 3000km on the casette and front ring (XT 1 x11).. I have no probs with the casette skipping or jumping but it’s all crunchy shitty sounding since putting the new chain on. The (xt) chain is on the right way and is shifting fine...
So i reckon it’s the front ring as the noise is only under load.. How long due you expect out of a single front ring? Will this crunchy noise just wear in eventually?
Thanks

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Just went through this process myself, swap chains regularly but first time for the oval chainring. Uphill or putting power down was crunchy, like the chain was not meshing. New chainring, silence!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks lads Is it worth trying one of the oval jobbies? Currently have a 30t, so I should be looking at a 32 oval?

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Might be a stupid question, but is you chain aligned correctly with the narrow/wide teeth?
The reason I ask is I recently got my bike back from a service and the shop replaced the chain. It was really noisy like you described. Turns out they’d installed the chain so the narrow part was on the wide teeth, if that makes sense.
Moved it on one link and everything was fine.