New DH bike

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Sup fools,

I'm in the market for a new DH rig, I'm on a 2007 Norco A-line (22kg of awesome) now and have put my fair share of dints in it.

Lots of DH bikes are Carbon now, DEMO 8 for example.
If/when I crash on an ally frame I'd just say oh well and move on.
If it's bad I can even weld it myself so no stress at all.

With carbon I'd be stressed about cracks on the inside.
Has anyone had trouble with carbon frames after a crash?

Are there down sides to a carbon DH bike other than that?

I need to decide if I should step into the future and buy a NEW carbon DH bike or cling to what I know and get a Ally frame.
Another issue is wheel size...
Has anyone back to backed a 26" and 27.5" bike and noticed a difference?
faster/slower, more or less playful?

I want a park bike really, not a flat out race machine.

indica

Serial flasher

Been a while since I sold it but I regularly crashed the living shit out of my carbon Fury. Handled it very well.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Mate has an Evil Undead, it's survived countless big crashes fine, what it didn't win was falling out of a 2wd ute flooring it up a rough steep rocky hill. That said, couple tears in the carbon here and there and it's still going after nail polish and duct tape so they're stronger than you'd think. And go 27.5, I can't tell you why performance wise, but parts will be getting a bit mroe annoying to find very soon me thinks for 26.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It appears that carbon is massively superior to aluminium, but with your skills it may be best to stick with what you know. I wouldn't get too bogged down with the 26 vs 27.5 if you're after a park bike. I like the manoeuvrability of 26 for free styling...

There are a few companies still pushing out 26 inch bikes for play time. Kona being one of them. If you're happy to buy old tech new there is also some massive bargains to be had.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/2...bikes/kona/vic/lilydale/process-167/102751633

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/2...dale/operator-carbon-med-the-last-1/102667057

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/2...n-bikes/kona?condition-ids=1&sort-by=cheapest

jarrod839

Banned
Sup fools,

I'm in the market for a new DH rig, I'm on a 2007 Norco A-line (22kg of awesome) now and have put my fair share of dints in it.

Lots of DH bikes are Carbon now, DEMO 8 for example.
If/when I crash on an ally frame I'd just say oh well and move on.
If it's bad I can even weld it myself so no stress at all.

Are there down sides to a carbon DH bike other than that?

I need to decide if I should step into the future and buy a NEW carbon DH bike or cling to what I know and get a Ally frame.
Another issue is wheel size...
Has anyone back to backed a 26" and 27.5" bike and noticed a difference?
faster/slower, more or less playful?

Hey mate

There's really not much difference between carbon and aluminum as they both have there share of pros and cons and are probably equal in strength with carbon usually having the weight advantage.

i have recently gone back to a aluminum frame after being on a carbon frame, as i felt i was babying the bike too much and not unleashing the inner beast.

and i would differently go 650B as u will be future proofing yourself as 26er parts will eventually be hard to source and there is a clear advantage in the rougher stuff eg.rock gardens.

and each bike is different my YT was super playful and was good in the rough, but my banshee is not playful but it smashes the rough stuff and just grips to the track.

when u find a few bikes you are interested in research them online and check out reviews etc and see what peoples opinions are.

teK--

Eats Squid
Carbon bikes are pretty strong nowadays especially DH and Enduro bikes which are over often overbuilt. The only thing to be weary of is scratches and stone chips which can mostly be prevented with some frame skin.

If you really want to be careless about the bike though I'd suggest stick with aluminium.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I've got a carbon Enduro rig, and from reading the above stack stories, everything is fine after it, yet I have to use a frame bar because it's not recommended to clamp it directly to the frame, dafaq.

scblack

Leucocholic
Sup fools,

I reckon there is your answer. If you're just out for social riding and not racing, save your cash and get an alloy bike. BUT carbon DH bikes are in no way fragile.

And for that riding, there will be no difference between 26" and 27.5". Parts will be available for both for years.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I reckon there is your answer. If you're just out for social riding and not racing, save your cash and get an alloy bike. BUT carbon DH bikes are in no way fragile.

And for that riding, there will be no difference between 26" and 27.5". Parts will be available for both for years.
I'd say the biggest choice here will be travel, if you after a park bike and not a dedicated racer then maybe look at 180mm rigs instead of 200+, something like the the Banshee Darkside

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Too many people to reply to ... haha thanks everyone.

I have a Reign so a 180mm travel bike is not much of a step up and I want a big bike :)

Weight, well anything is better than my A-line in that department so that's not really a consideration at the moment.

Good to hear carbons are getting crashed and not falling apart.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
If you really want to be careless about the bike though I'd suggest stick with aluminium.
It's not that I want to be careless it's just I'm a bit of a hack :)

PINK POODLE
I'm not sold on the Kona's and I already own a Kona plus Norco and Giant so I'd like a new brand in the shed.

jarrod839
"i have recently gone back to a aluminum frame after being on a carbon frame, as i felt i was babying the bike too much and not unleashing the inner beast."

I don't think that a new tech bike will hold me back, i'll be holding the bike back from what it's capable of doing.

I preach to my staff not to be afraid of change or the future, I'm looking at carbon because I should listen to what I tell others.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
It's not that I want to be careless it's just I'm a bit of a hack :)

PINK POODLE
I'm not sold on the Kona's and I already own a Kona plus Norco and Giant so I'd like a new brand in the shed.

jarrod839
"i have recently gone back to a aluminum frame after being on a carbon frame, as i felt i was babying the bike too much and not unleashing the inner beast."

I don't think that a new tech bike will hold me back, i'll be holding the bike back from what it's capable of doing.

I preach to my staff not to be afraid of change or the future, I'm looking at carbon because I should listen to what I tell others.
I was linked this vid yesturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

gives you a good idea of how strong well made carbon frames are, but as with all things carbon from one manufacturer is not the same as another

scblack

Leucocholic

gives you a good idea of how strong well made carbon frames are, but as with all things carbon from one manufacturer is not the same as another
I could not find the link to that video. After seeing that video a few years ago, I am completely confident in carbon frames.

BUT there are only not many carbon bike factories in the world - their quality is likely to be very good. I had a Chinarello carbon roadie for a couple of years which was awesome.

Carbon quality should not be much of an issue I don't think. Touch wood ;-)

Last edited:

latheboy

Likes Dirt

So you're saying oils aren't oils... haha

you can hear the carbon frame cracking long before the Al. one had any issues.
the drop test is also a joke, they should have use a different frame for each height increase because there would be stresses and minor cracks/bends from the drop and bouncing of the drop before.

Hitting frames against a precision machine in the workshop, holy shit that's rough..... I would sack them on the spot for that.

Carbon does seem to be fairly durable though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The A-line was the original Park bike. The name says it all...they had more travel and slacker geo than the race machines of the time. They were also a lot heavier. I had 2 different models, lots of fun.

The Santa Cruz carbon test video is awesome. I remember reading a review that claimed the carbon Nomad was the strongest frame Santa Cruz had ever made,v until the carbon v-10. It would be good to see some video of sharp sideways impact mid tube...similar to landing onto a rock etc.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Iv got 2x demo8's here. One 2013 carbon sworks and a 2011 alloy frame. Both feel about the same weight to pick up. Not enough to notice anyway. The main difference i find is the tipping weight from left to right is massive. But for most people it probably wont make you fuck all of a difference faster or slower.

I had a 27.5 trail bike and 26 trail and theres definatly a difference. The bigger wheels roll through and over obstacles easier but hit anything hard and fast enough and they both rattle your brains out.

Pick the bike that gives you a stiffy and ride the fucker

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alloy frame.
Sixfittybee.
Alloy cranks.

Carefree riding. More time spent shredding, less time wasted being precious.