new dirt jumps

W.bat

Likes Dirt
Hey I'm after any tips from builders that have done it before.
I have an area on my farm under well spaced trees about 90mtrs by 40 mtrs. Slight downhill and reasonably well resourced, want to combine a jump run or two with more of a speed run. So trad DJ's and a mini BMX track with jumps berms and woops. Any sugestions on spacing and general building.
I would like to do somethng really good here. Like real good such as in the OS videos.
Any comments

Mr jesus

Likes Dirt
hey,
it depends on your skill, and the skill of the people riding them. If your not that good you cant make them that much like the ones you see in os vids, unless you make a smaller version. Alright we need a bit more information though ie. if you want vert lips (More like BMX dirt jumping) if you want more Air then distance and also things like do you want it to be a rythym ie. jump straight after eachother no time to pedal.

Cheers Max

freaken

Likes Dirt
Why don't you get the guys that built the pallet jumps at Oxford Falls, I hear they do good work, before some farken scum bag knocked them down.

Valkyr

Likes Bikes
My friend has built a jump on a downhill run that has worked out well with some logs, just being ridden over and rain.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i heard that pallet jump was a really quality peice of building then some XC lycra wearing fairy knocked it down....

hubbie

Forever 1,337
ScottD said:
i heard that pallet jump was a really quality peice of building then some XC lycra wearing fairy knocked it down....
what a jerk! sure is funny watching them try to ride oxford falls or Lizard rock though!

wdshiver

Likes Dirt
My tip is.... Trial And Error. Words can't explain fully all the time you just need some experience and if it doesn't work then fix what you think is wrong and try again.

bulllet

Banned
Yeah it was some old bugger with no skillz to handle the thrillz, that the woodern stunts threw down at him. Personally I thought they were great, but it just goes to show that some people just can't handle what gets built......all for enjoyment.

(mumbles something about old lycra wearing meany poos:mad: )

Inverted

Likes Dirt
W.bat said:
Hey I'm after any tips from builders that have done it before.
I have an area on my farm under well spaced trees about 90mtrs by 40 mtrs. Slight downhill and reasonably well resourced, want to combine a jump run or two with more of a speed run. So trad DJ's and a mini BMX track with jumps berms and woops. Any sugestions on spacing and general building.
I would like to do somethng really good here. Like real good such as in the OS videos.
Any comments
Just start with one jump, not too big something around the size you are riding now. Then build another and so on. Dont try and build a BMX track in one day, just start small.

W.bat

Likes Dirt
There will be a combination of two or three runs and with the aim to be able to mix them up. The main run at this point will be 20 metres or more of run in, then swinging left to right hander over maybe 35 metres then into a long wide straight of 40 odd metres. This will be jump to jump and with the aim of making each quite wide (3mts). We were thinking about shoulder height and thought with the width we could steepen half the lip width and have variation on each jump. On the straight between the left and right hander we were goin gto put in a smalle spped style jump and a series of woops. Berms on boht left and right hander.
Question, to get the distance correct do you build the first jump, last jump or the middle jumps first.
I reckon the speed track and second jump track we will build later but want to start planning how they cross over now.

Oh and as for the builder of the pallet jumps etc etc etc, nah not the right guy. I want these jumps to last and not fall over in a couple of months.

freaken

Likes Dirt
Hey wouldn't it be funny if somebody came up and knocked your jumps down w.bat with a sledgie. Nah but that would be a shitty thing to do to a fellow bike rider and it would be trespassing too.

bulllet

Banned
I heard that sledgehammwers can break pallets up really well when used in right way. But to knock someone elses stunts over is baadddd. I guess karma comes around, and it WILL get you:p Karma gets everyone;)

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why dont you use pallets as backings and sides for doubles then fill it up with dirt, i am sure you have heaps of them lying around you could use;) :rolleyes:
I didnt think XC blokes liked jumps??

Cluedifier

Likes Bikes
Start of small but leave large gaps inbetween the jumps so that once you get used to them you have room to expand. if you are worried about gaps make the larger ones table tops which enble you to slowly build up to thw whole distance. god i wish i had that land:mad:

W.bat

Likes Dirt
Just got back from first building session. Cleared two time s 90mtr tracks, one straight for series of larger normal jumps, and the second twisty trail for a fast bmx style jump run. Now just waiting on trucks of clay. we need about twenty I reckon and the local earth mover reckon give it time and they will get it to me as it becomes available. Worked on a local pump track which was base clay and topped wiht crushed and compressed gravel. Wow what a finish, smooth and fast as.

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
The best advantage that you have building where you are is that you said it is on a slight downhill, this is a key factor of the best BMX tracks (if you dont want to pump much) and also provides a slight downramp which will aid you heaps in the spacing etc. of your jumps. So make sure you use the slant to your advantage

Fraser