New? Feel free to say g'day here.

robbyj

Squid
Hello all,
i turned 21 this year and have been loving the joys of my car since turning 18. Have driven round Winton Motor Raceway and spent a fair bit on it.

I am in the process of looking to move to a new town (where i go to UNI) and decided i want to get back into riding.
My first bike i personally bought was a 2009 mongoose fireball. Which i tried my hand at a bit of DJ and skate.

Cant say im a very good rider, every "large" jump i attempted never landed correctly ;P

I am in the process of selling my mongoose to build a new streeter bike. This will be challenging and a bit costly but i look forward to it and getting around on my new bike (saving cost on fuel!!) and hopefully becoming a confident and decent rider. Practice makes perfect right?

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and gals.

I just getting back into bikes after several years off the saddle.
Picked myself up a nice Merida 5 weeks ago, cruising about Nerang and Mt Joyce has been a blast!
Lots of awesome people out there to meet and many that have already been met.
Once I get my skills back, I may even try getting more than an inch of air on my next jump.

See you about the boards..

ogjon

Likes Dirt
hey all jono here, I live in Newcastle nsw area.
been into riding for many years DH, DJ, park, street, bmx & trials

reddog56

Cannon Fodder
I'm new to mtn biking - brisbane northside - advice on which bike and where to go?

I'm hooked! What a wonderful sport! All the thrills and risk and outdoor rush of ski-ing or snowboarding without being cold or spending a fortune on tickets. This my first post, and I'd like to eventually like to buy a bike through rotorburn.

Firstly I'd like advice on where to go. I've tried some of the tracks at Mt Cootha/Gold Ck and the Jinker Track and am happy to do lots more there, but where else around Brisbane? I live in Nundah.

Secondly I'd like advice on which bike. I am 55 yo, but strong from road bikes and won't cry if I crash. I'm 187 cm and 93 kg. I like the work of climbing hills and the rush of downhill - I'm getting the knack of lifting the front wheel to get a bit of air on jumps. At the moment I've got an old but good Fuji hardtail, but want a dual suspension. My budget is a grand or less, and so far people are suggesting a used Giant Trance or Giant Anthem. I imagine I'll need at least a Large frame. How much suspension travel do I need?

reddog56

Hi, I got my first mtb in years a couple of weeks ago, used to race bmx as a kin in Canberra always had a mtb to get around on before I had a license, although I didn't do anything more seriouse than pedal, skid and crash! I worked in the skateboard industry for years and even spent some time getting a few bucks to ride them..
Skip ahead 10 or so years and I have an orange dj bike that I use to for everything :) to be honest I'm such a noob I didn't even know it was a dj bike when I got it, I just swapped a lady a bunch of skateboard product I had sitting around for what I thought looked like a "sweet" bike. It's got few things wrong with it but I've already scared the **** out of myself on it a few times.. So it's a winner!

Cheers Mat

trixwolf

Cannon Fodder
Hey

Been mountain biking now for about 5 months - starting at 36. Love it. Got into riding with a couple of friends and now it's all I think about!!

Spoilt for places to ride in Canberra!! Just upgrade my old 26" to a Rumblefish 29". Awesome!!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Hi Trixwold great to hear, one of the things Im finding the sport is good for any age.

I just started also with a hardtail 26er, and I am 27.

Been riding about 2months just sunday mornings from sun up for a few hours as I have a newborn at home, along with a mate that also has a newborn, and the third mate we ride he and wife are expecting later in the year. So you can still get out and ride.

We are just riding fire trails and dirt 4x4 tracks. Some slight downhill stuff and loving it.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Hi Trixwold great to hear, one of the things Im finding the sport is good for any age.

I just started also with a hardtail 26er, and I am 27.

Been riding about 2months just sunday mornings from sun up for a few hours as I have a newborn at home, along with a mate that also has a newborn, and the third mate we ride he and wife are expecting later in the year. So you can still get out and ride.

We are just riding fire trails and dirt 4x4 tracks. Some slight downhill stuff and loving it.
I know how this feels mate, I have a 2.5yo and another due in mid June, so early mornings are no issue for me, and getting out about ocne a week is about it when they are young, but as they geta little older it is easier to get a couple more times a week depending on the missus.

New to rotor burn

Hi im looking to get hold of jmurphy who has a bike I'd like to buy on the trade site, some boys I rode with in Apollo bay put me on to the site dundog and peachy a few weeks back, I actually broke my wrist that day so I can't ride for a few months so I'm selling my 2011 bighit2 and wanting to buy a demo I'm after jmurphys can you guys help me out
Cheers Gerrit

D-Bridgement

Likes Bikes
hey my name is damon. i love to dh whenever possible. i have a norco team dh 2011. i love dirt jumping and street riding on my bmx

easygroove

Cannon Fodder
Old guys rule

go easy....i'm new to RB but have been around for a while, 40 nxt month. A BMXer until 28, MTBer until 40 and moving more to the darkside of late! A regular on on STW forum (UK). My MTB is about to go on the classifieds, as well as a load of parts to make more room in the stable, have a look .......there will be some nice bits and pieces

Tom Guy

Squid
New to the MTB world

Hi All,

I've moved to Singleton NSW and need a new hobby (too far from the water for regular scuba diving) so I've chosen mountain biking. I have a crappy old Shogun Trail Breaker and am in the process of building something more serious. I'm sure all the friendly boys and girls here are full of lots of wisdom to help me with my build ;)

If there is anyone in the Singo area that wants to head out for a ride sometime let me know. I'm no mountain goat, probably more like a clydesdale, but I'll have a go!

All the best,

Tom

jan1

Squid
Hi to all.
Started riding as fitness for BMX racing but its grown a life of its own. I built up a bike based on a norco frame and its holding together well and as it was cheap (2nd hand parts) I'm upgrading it as I work out what I want in a bike.
The garage is being taken over with bikes and the cars like outside - 4 bmx race bikes (3 abd's 1 redline) , 3 bmx street/park bikes , my wife's new Avanti and my old norco.
Thats the colection at this point in time, 3 kids that race and they have fun. My race bike hasen't been used much lately due to a knee injury.
The tribe keeps the LBS amused with our antics usually with some thing broken, this week my front rim on my bmx got bent as I went over the bars, last week my eldest son needed a new race helmet after a BIG stack and tales of my wife on her bike at our local trails. We alll have a good laugh.
Keep safe
Andrew

converge11

Likes Dirt
gday my name is steve and I've just started riding mtb's this year after giving up motorbikes. I've just got an avanti black thunder 26.2, nothing special but does the job I guess. my wife and I are looking to start racing bmx also this year as my son races. looks like a good forum you guys have here. cheers.

ISA13B

Cannon Fodder
Good evening lads and ladettes

Hey guys and gals.
My name is Nick..... I enjoy long walks on the beach, candle-lit dinners and kittens........ Nah, not really.
Well kittens are cool, until they get big, then they're cats. Then they're crap.
Anyway, bike wise I have sitting in the garage:
an old Kona Explosiv chromo hardtail.
a 2011 Kona Tanuki Delux
and soon to be a road bike..... when I find one. Will be my first so looking to spend sub $700 incase I hate it.
Was looking for a Kona to complete the stable, but 2nd hand Konas are as rare as rockinghorse poop.
Apart from riding bikes and spreading love I ride a 2005 Husqvarna TE250 trailbike with heaps of trick bits.
Shame I can't ride it properly, just got my arm out of a cast from a little.......... off I had.
So, yeah... "hi" I guess, and please be gentle.
All tips/tricks/advise/abuse and stuff like that is welcome, and expected.

OK bye.

Surfin' Addiction

Cannon Fodder
Well seems like as good a place as any to get started.

My name's Josh, 26 y.o from Melbourne and I am only just recently getting involved with MTB. I have been a road cyclist as well as doing a lot of Urban fixed gear riding for a few years now. I also surf and snowboard a lot, with surfing being my primary hobby. A few of the guys I snowboard and surf with have started digging their old Hardtail Norco's etc out lately and are discussing giving it a go again. Ideas surrounding an early morning surf down the Vic surf coast then hit the You Yangs on the way home. Mountain biking appeals to me as I like being outdoors, challenging myself (I'm a keen hill climber on both a roadie and a fixed gear) and I like getting out and checking out some scenery. At this stage I'll be more keen on some XC riding with some low level downhill, but I intend to man up a bit eventually and hit some decent downhill trails. Being in the bush or up on a mountain seems pretty legit, as you can't really experience this on a road bike.

I'm yet to buy a bike, but at this stage I am looking for something like a Norco Manik or maybe an SE Filth Flyer, although they seem a little closer to a dirt jump bike. Hardtail, longer travel forks with some mid level components. I definitely have more of a sway towards Sram. I'll start looking through the buy,swap and sell and see what's about.

Anyway, I'm keen to check out your forum, see what useful things people have to say and hopefully start enjoying your sport more as things progress.

Yet1

Likes Dirt

Hello everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster. Recently moved to Melbourne from Perth, slowly figuring out where to ride and hoping to do some group rides one of these days. Been riding mtbs for many years, but certainly no xc racer or anything. I ride a Yeti 575, but hopefully pick up my SB66c soon, so like a mix of terrain with some nice DH runs. Cheers!

Birtyyy

Cannon Fodder
Recently moved to Melbourne from the Gold Coast and have now started mountain bike riding as its too cold for surfing and wakeboarding down here... I've picked myself up a second hand Giant Warp DS3 and have been racing around Lysterfield National Park for a couple of months now, loving it...

crim 87

Likes Dirt
hey guys my name is ryan im 25 and i live in melbourne , just recently got back into mtb riding after giving it up for a while. I just purchased a new scott spark 70 and am loving it its so much better than the old giant hard tail. ive been riding a few times over at lysterfield lake and its just awsome so much diversity there and the little cafe is great if anyone has any info on any other great spots to ride around melbourne that would be much appreciated thanks

Gaffer

Cannon Fodder
Another newbie......

Greetings,

I'm Gaffer and have had a crack at a track, road, triathlon and now it's time to get dirty! I do prefer IronMan triathlon but it's winter and a damn sight warmer amongst the trees than on the road this time of year....

Looking forward to browsing and learning from you all; thanks in advance for your tips and posts.