New flow trail at Ourimbah - Amaroo

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Went to Ourimbah for the first time today and they had just opened a new Flow trail so sussed that out as well as rode the enduro line. Was pretty windy so didn't do the DH / jump line as just didn't feel comfortable. Will do an edit of the Enduro line later.

As for the new flow trail "Amaroo" it is decent but has some issues in the mid section in that it is pretty hard to actually keep your flow. They have some weird design choices like there is a section about half way where you have an up slope with 4-5 moguls and unless you are coming in there at mach 5 I have no idea how you would keep your momentum going. Other than that the trails is very mellow but upon watching the footage back I noticed a gap or two that I missed while riding that look doable and worth sussing out next time I head back there.

Still got to make some riding buddies in my area as there is only so much progression one can make riding solo all the time. Although next time I head back to Ourimbah I will be using their shuttle service which I had no idea about. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the rattle - had my dropper serviced and didn't realise they had cut the zip tie I had holding the cable away from the bars....that is fixed for my next ride.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
eBike trail? Man that's a lot of no-flow.
Yeah it certainly struck me as strange there was so much uphill in a flow trail and not only that but most uphills had moguls on them making them even harder to maintain speed.

Having said that it is fine for a nice smooth intro trail - likely take my kids back to do it at some point.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
It’s only half the proposed trail. I’ve heard they will be continuing it up to make the start from up near the DH shuttle drop/start area.

I think given the terrain and where the trail goes that have used the topography quite well. An uphill section would be pretty boring if it was flat and it does get some rhythm to it even while pedaling, but it certainly saps the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangals

Likes Dirt
It’s only half the proposed trail. I’ve heard they will be continuing it up to make the start from up near the DH shuttle drop/start area.

I think given the terrain and where the trail goes that have used the topography quite well. An uphill section would be pretty boring if it was flat and it does get some rhythm to it even while pedaling, but it certainly saps the legs.
Would be great if they do extend it to start up near the shuttle drop off!

Absolutely - the trail is a great addition to what is a good spot already (admittedly I have only done this and the Enduro trail so far but watched plenty of vids on the DH trail). Just seemed weird with those rollers on the incline - other than that I think they did well.

Will give it a proper session next time I head back and try and maintain speed a bit better. I will update my video as well as I am pretty keen to hit a gap right at the start.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Sounding a little like Flowtown at Falls Creek. Awesome trail, but an annoying uphill thrown in the middle...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Welcome to Australia with little elevation and repressed use of bushland from governments.

I'm only guessing they made use of what trail alignment they could have. The trail will flow heaps better once it beds in, I'd be coming in high at the start of the larger berms and trying to pump them for more speed.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
repressed use of bushland from governments.
Good thing is the local mob seem to be on board for biking - shame my local council are completely tone deaf on the subject :rolleyes:

The trail will flow heaps better once it beds in, I'd be coming in high at the start of the larger berms and trying to pump them for more speed.
Absolutely - it was only the 2nd day it was open apparently - didn't have a massive amount of time and only got 2 laps in, next time will give it a proper session to see if I can find my missing flow

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I had a little look at the terrain profile on Strava. The uphill is roughly 1% gradient with a little spike of 1.3 for a tiny portion. It’s not too bad. I wouldn’t say pedaling is a strong point for me and was able to keep roughly 20kmh across that section. I watched your video and concur with the comment above about going in higher on the berms and coming out faster. It’s more fun hugging the corners than straight lining it through them. You get more speed out and rest the legs more too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangals

Likes Dirt
I had a little look at the terrain profile on Strava. The uphill is roughly 1% gradient with a little spike of 1.3 for a tiny portion. It’s not too bad. I wouldn’t say pedaling is a strong point for me and was able to keep roughly 20kmh across that section. I watched your video and concur with the comment above about going in higher on the berms and coming out faster. It’s more fun hugging the corners than straight lining it through them. You get more speed out and rest the legs more too!
Yeah will certainly try that next time I go up there - this was just a one and done run to suss it out. I am hoping to go back there soon so will look to make some improvements.