NEW Flowtown trail - Falls Creek

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah meant to also say, in addition to High Voltage you can also link Thunderbolt and Generator/Vortex descents to the new Flowtown trail via the aquaduct and Wishing Well, so a bunch of riding options there.

Also Junction Spur fire trail from Howmans Gap down to Bogong Village is in prime condition, so connect it all up and there ya go!

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
I know the ignition event is the "official opening", however are trails open during nov now the snow has cleared?

Seems silly to wait for a specific date if they are ready earlier.
AFAIK Flowtown won't be open for riding until Nov 19-20. World Trail crew are currently in Falls Creek getting Flowtown and the rest of the network (including other new trails) ready for the MTB season opening weekend (Nov 19-20).

Also FWIW I was up at Falls the other day. There was still a fair amount of snow covering the trail network, especially higher up on the mountain. Should be sweet by mid November though.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Nah, would rather check out Falls on a weekend when Bright shuttles are also happening.
Bright shuttlles happened, wow.. Friday. Insane. Falls Sat/Sun, and happy to report Flowtown is rad! Super fast. It's really turned Falls on it's head now having a 6k trail from the village down. Makes a 10k descent from the summit. Ignition was unreal, such a cool weekend. Get up there!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Bright shuttlles happened, wow.. Friday. Insane. Falls Sat/Sun, and happy to report Flowtown is rad! Super fast. It's really turned Falls on it's head now having a 6k trail from the village down. Makes a 10k descent from the summit. Ignition was unreal, such a cool weekend. Get up there!
Good to hear. Bright shuttles with Blue Dirt?? Now that I've got this weekend free and was planning to do Falls and Bright, they've gone and cancelled Bright. Not happy.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
How'd you rate the flowtown trail fun wise? Not sure if I should book 2 days of shuttling, or one and ride the other options on second day.

dunndog

Eats Squid
How'd you rate the flowtown trail fun wise? Not sure if I should book 2 days of shuttling, or one and ride the other options on second day.
Very fun. First run or 2 the pedally sections seem big and annoying, but once you start dialling the track those sections get smaller, and when you start ramping up the speed and flying through the flowy stuff you cannot wipe the grin off. No brakes, no pedals, just perfect flow. Plenty of jumps and alternate lines to keep you interested for many runs. Watch out for a left turn on the plastic stuff, it's flat and without warning. there are skid marks going off it...
If you dedicate a day to riding it I'd probably ride somewhere else on day 2. If you're going to do all of the runs at Falls and mix it up you could get a couple days out of it, not sure if private vehicles are allowed up to the summit though.
But yeah, definitely get up there and ride Flowtown. It's a long rad track that a lot of work has gone into and is sick.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Flowtown be better on a DH bike or trail bike?

I've only got my Makulu and Spitfire, and dunno which to take when I head to Falls over my XMas holidays.

dunndog

Eats Squid

I've only got my Makulu and Spitfire, and dunno which to take when I head to Falls over my XMas holidays.
100% trail bike. All the trails at Falls have some degree of pedalling and would be shit on a dh rig.

Ideate

I'm going early Jan. When are you going? Spitty is perfect for Falls but Makulu is better for Mt Beauty and Bright ;)

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
100% trail bike. All the trails at Falls have some degree of pedalling and would be shit on a dh rig.
can confirm. I took my dropper off for the first run and regretted it oh so much haha

Flowtown is insane on the fun factor, so many little nooks and crannys around to jump off / around once you've done it a couple times.

Just sitting at the bottom of Flowtown now after my first run down. Absolutely awesome. Silly fast. Now just got to pedal back up to the summit and do it all again!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Plenty of jumps and alternate lines to keep you interested for many runs.
What are the jumps like? Gaps or tables? Size? Anything you need to stop and look at or can you just hit them all if you hold the speed of the trail?

Looking forward to riding it soon.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
What are the jumps like? Gaps or tables? Size? Anything you need to stop and look at or can you just hit them all if you hold the speed of the trail?

Looking forward to riding it soon.
It's a great trail! There's nothing that will punish you if you come short, offline is a different story though...

There's a heap of alternative line drops / jumps that you can really at any speed. The faster smoother!

I was with my 19 year old nephew and a 58 year old mate and they both loved and hit everything. At different paces, but all hit, you'll love it! Super flowy and heaps fun!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Wkkie is spot on. you could hit all the built jumps with stuff all speed, but they are best at full tilt, and many other roller jumps and small gaps appear with speed too. Lots of drifty bits and g outs too.
the bottom third especially is some of the best effortless flow you are likely to ride.

Karl G Lapwood

Cannon Fodder
Flowtown is terrible.

Watch out for a left turn on the plastic stuff, it's flat and without warning. there are skid marks going off it...
eGNITION was awesome, i meet the guy who skidded off this bridge corner in the tent on the saturday night, he broke his shoulder on all the logs that where cut and left off trail.. so yeah, that corner is a ripper.

Saying that, all those bridges have heaps of grip, so just faith it around.

I was lucky enough to follow Angus's (in the green on promo videos and photo below) back wheel down to get lines and confidence sorted..

Id recommend a 75% run down for first decent, just to make sure you dont hit a washout or clip a tree.

THEN FIRE UP STRAVA AND GO FOR IT.

angus.jpg

^^^^^ photo of me in background trying to keep up with Angus.

Ps. headed up tomorrow to escape the Melbourne heat, looking forward to seeing how the track has packed down.

deej

Likes Bikes
Also very keen to get there asap. I'm heading up to Bright Jan 2nd-4th with a few people for a look at the new trails there and will consider heading across to Falls.
A few of us have lined up a Blue Dirt Pass though so there's plenty of opportunity for both locations.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Riding Flowtown with Ideate behind me on Friday 06/01.
Mid/climb sections sped up to 300% to alleviate boredom.

Final descent kicks in around 7:30!

[video=youtube;WfRL4D9bQNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRL4D9bQNc[/video]

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Riding Flowtown with Ideate behind me on Friday 06/01.
Mid/climb sections sped up to 300% to alleviate boredom.

Final descent kicks in around 7:30!

[video=youtube;WfRL4D9bQNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRL4D9bQNc[/video]
Looks like a bona fide HOOT!