New freeride bike.. Norco Atomik??

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I am currently riding a 2008 kona stinky and feel the need to upgrade to a better quality freeride bike. So i am looking for a bike that can handle hucking and a bit of DH. My price range is no higher than $2600. Is the 09 Norco atomik a good bike for my discription??

Last edited:

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
What!!!???? That's madness.
You only just got that Kona! Still, have a look at the 2009 norco atomik in berretas.....

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
yeah i know, but there are so many shit parts on it that are starting to piss me off, it was either spend money upgrading parts, or get a new one with good parts, what would you choose:D How do atomiks go for freeride??

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
A better quality freeride bike than your 2008 stinky for less than $2600? Good luck with that champ.Just be happy with what you have.The stinky is a great freeride bike.....

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man i got my 2009 Kona Stinky today and it could handle anything

there is a drop we have nearly 2m i did it on my 08 shred (hardtail)
and today i did it one the stinky and i felt nothing compared the shred
anyway

the atomik is a good buy in my opinion. Or the new faith i like if you got the money

cheers
Lefty

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah as what everbody else said, I recockon save some more money for a year or whatever and buy one if the 2010 faiths. They would be suited perfectly fir hucking around Geelong. Does anyone know the rrp? I'm sure de grandiose would be able to set you up in a sweet deal jimmmy. Atomik doesn't have the best geometry for freeride but as with any bike it can handle it.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah as what everbody else said, I recockon save some more money for a year or whatever and buy one if the 2010 faiths. They would be suited perfectly fir hucking around Geelong. Does anyone know the rrp? I'm sure de grandiose would be able to set you up in a sweet deal jimmmy. Atomik doesn't have the best geometry for freeride but as with any bike it can handle it.
Around the 5 grand mark

Blotto

Likes Dirt
I am lookin to buy second hand and i've seen new norco atomiks for $2200. Get your facts right mate.:mad:
I assume you were referring to FR_MANIAC with that remark? He does have his facts right. A 2008 stinky is quite a capable bike for freeride, and the atomik is a budget DH bike. Apart from getting a newer bike, buying second hand to replace something that still does what you want it too, with another bike that doesn't quite do what you want it too, well, it's just plain dumb. And next time, have a little thought before you get mad at someone who has been contributing to these forums since 2005.

My advice is to simply continue to save on top of what you have and then buy another bike in a little while. Or you could spend your ~$2k on a few parts that you need and the bike will probably outlast your skill level for another year or more. When you are on a budget, buying something to look good is also stupid, so stick to what you actually need.

That last statement applies to the getting a whole 'new bike' thing as well.

Last edited:

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I know people say that an atomik isn't made for freeride and thats what i'm thinking to but howcome on the 2009 website its intended uses are full on freeride??:confused:

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
I am lookin to buy second hand and i've seen new norco atomiks for $2200. Get your facts right mate.:mad:
So sorry about that big man.I guess I misunderstood you.Don't hate me for it.......:(
And thank you Blotto for understanding what I was on about....

Last edited:

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
So sorry about that big man.I guess I misunderstood you.Don't hate me for it.......:(
And thank you Blotto for understanding what I was on about....
I guess i was a little out of line there, sorry bout that:( Still leaning towards the atomik though:)

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Save up for a giant faith. Re new 2010 ones look perfect for what you indend to do. Oh and get a job first. That will get you money a Lot quicker.:rolleyes:

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
Save up for a giant faith. Re new 2010 ones look perfect for what you indend to do. Oh and get a job first. That will get you money a Lot quicker.:rolleyes:
I know, but my parents won't let me spend that much money on a bike and i am wanting to maybe get into DH racing aswell.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Atomik

so is the atomik a good bike for huckin/downhill or not because i've got a pretty sweet deal if i want it.
I like mine! yup it will do freeride. Because it is pretty compact i think it feels really good to throw around in the air.

If you are getting one check that you have the new frame on it. The older frames were recalled due to cracks appearing in the TT area. I am on my 4th frame but still liking it. The 4th frame is the new model, all the others have been replaced at no charge from Norco.