New hardtail for Trails 4X DJs

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been looking for some time at getting rid of my DJ rig in favor of something more versatile and really im just looking for tips on what to look at, my current short list is like.
Evil sovereign
NS surge
Ragely Troof
Intense Tazer HT
Santa cruz Jackal
Dartmoor hornet

suggestions? Im thinking around 140mm travel up front. not super heavy. etc.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Transition bank would be my choice.
Check out this one. It is also compatible with a geared rear end so very versatile. So tidy.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I have been looking for some time at getting rid of my DJ rig in favor of something more versatile and really im just looking for tips on what to look at, my current short list is like.
Evil sovereign
NS surge
Ragely Troof
Intense Tazer HT
Santa cruz Jackal
Dartmoor hornet

If you're doing runs @ maldon at any stage you could probably take my hornet for a spin, it's the larger of the sizes though ro, they've sold out of the smaller one.

a few builds:

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6880161/p4pb6880161.jpg

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6912847/ (our hornet.)

edit: no seat hassles here.

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're doing runs @ maldon at any stage you could probably take my hornet for a spin, it's the larger of the sizes though ro.
you going to be up there at the ride day in a fortnight??
would be very interested in taking it for a pedal to the top and back down.

The issue with most alloy 4X/DS bikes is seat height for getting decent leg extension on longer rides.
but the BANK does look sexy

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
you going to be up there at the ride day in a fortnight??
would be very interested in taking it for a pedal to the top and back down.

The issue with most alloy 4X/DS bikes is seat height for getting decent leg extension on longer rides.
but the BANK does look sexy
what day is it? I might be able to come out and let you take it for a spin.

I'd also suggest a Bank. Best hardtail i've ever had. Short, light (frame is 2,050g on my scale), super agile and stiff.

A 140mm fork would be a bit much for this though. I've run mine with 120mm and with 100mm. It works with 120mm, but 100mm is better.

If you need the longer fork, I'd consider a chameleon. Probably the most versatile HT frame ever. Works with everything from 100mm to 160mm forks. I have friends who them built up as 4X/slalom bikes, full on FR/DH rigs and even XC racers.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Evil sovereign
NS surge
Ragely Troof
Intense Tazer HT
Santa cruz Jackal
Dartmoor hornet

ROH you had a jackal not a few months ago. so scratch that off the list. also you just go at MOB, why buy another bike.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ill buy the mob from you to keep your wife happy other wise she wont let you out of the house tomorrow. to ride the big rig
we may be able to come to some sort of arrangement, wife is onside for tomorrow. shes getting sick of me.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually dont mind them, plus side a Kona price tag far easier to swallow than a Santa cruz.
i really like the whole 2012 lineup from kona infact.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Transition bank would be my choice.
Check out this one. It is also compatible with a geared rear end so very versatile. So tidy.
That is a crazy good looking bike!

I used to own a Kona 5-0 (Actually it's in the shed waiting to be rebuilt..) But it was an amazing fun to ride with 140mm forks and a 1x9 setup.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They look ok, but 15.4 / 16kg seems a bit much for a hardtail with a 120mm fork.. those frames must be solid steel
That's a touch better than my dmr transition which is at the 13-14kg range. Everything on it it completely bomb proof, but unfortunately still quite heavy

el~rio

Likes Dirt
They look ok, but 15.4 / 16kg seems a bit much for a hardtail with a 120mm fork.. those frames must be solid steel
I was thinking that as well, but the weight penalty comes with that type of bike. Plus, those bikes are probably indestructible :O

Maybe some lighter wheels down the track? There's plenty of scope for dropping weight on both bikes.

davemchenry

Likes Bikes
Stylus!

I would buy a chromag Stylus or monk depending on how specific you want to go. I used to own a stylus and it was an awesome all arounder.