new hfx9's whats wong

MaCa

Likes Bikes
hey guys i just got me a new set of hfx 9's and they are worken all good llike heaps good actually but the onli thing that is happenen is that when i pull the back lever in a tiny bit so that it is just catching **SQREEEEEEEEEECH** i have lost no breaking power and waz jst wondering what i could do to stop it!?!?

cheers, adam

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is nothing you can do to stop it unless you spray some form of lubricant on your pads, you wanna do that?

Didn't think so

tu plang

knob
hah... complaining about squeeling brakes, i did that once when i first put on my spanish fly pads, going down a huge hill decided to brake near the bottom... suffice to say people were coming out of their houses.

its something you grow to appreciate :twisted: . it inspires me to clean my rims frequently just to keep them noisy... its why i wet my hopes when riding around the CBD. LOUD = POWER!

oh and yeah... sorry i cant help. :wink:

MaCa

Likes Bikes
hey guys its not that new pad sound its totally different!!!! i have run it down hills etc!!!! its onli when i slightly pull the trigger! it can happen going 100 miles an hour or 0.5 miles an hour! as i said it aint the new pad sound!

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i used to get a screech when my rotors were cold
it hasnt happened much recently since the weather is warming up.

Regan

Eats Squid
MaCa said:
its onli when i slightly pull the trigger!
Yeah... It's more a vibration right?

Vibration at the first point of pad contact is both very annoying and hard to get rid of. It's usually due to something being out of alignment or a bolt being loose. The brake mount on the frame may need to be faced with a proper tool.

Check all rotor and caliper mount bolts for proper torque. You could even go a step further and remove the rotor and caliper, clean all surfaces and then reinstall and tighten to the correct torque.

Then try aligning the caliper...

1. Make sure the wheel is properly seated in the dropouts
2. Check the pads to be sure the pistons are pumped out of the piston bore by an even amount.
3. Loosen the caliper alignment bolts just enough to allow horizontal movement with force. This will minimise/prevent the caliper moving when the alignments bolts are tightened. If you do what's in the manual, you'll tear your hair out...
4. Align the caliper centrally over the disc.
5. Tighten the caliper alignment bolts.

I hope this is helpful.

DiMmY

Likes Dirt
tu plang said:
hah... complaining about squeeling brakes, i did that once when i first put on my spanish fly pads, going down a huge hill decided to brake near the bottom... suffice to say people were coming out of their houses.

its something you grow to appreciate :twisted: . it inspires me to clean my rims frequently just to keep them noisy... its why i wet my hopes when riding around the CBD. LOUD = POWER!

oh and yeah... sorry i cant help. :wink:
Sorry for going offtopic:
Haha.. i love loud brakes, pisses everyone off. Brake infront of a crowd.. *squeeeeeel*, everyone just looks at you

smarty

Likes Dirt
just a matter of natual frequency, some sort of vibration frequency of the disc is matching the pats, or otherway around :roll: anyway, it won't break anything but it makes a very large noise, you can not stop it untill you fully changed the design, thats why it will only occure under certain condition, such as @ a particular range of speed and force applied.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
just a matter of natual frequency
yeah what smarty said..... :p
hayes HFX-9's are noisy, iv got a set and they always squeal, im not surprised that if you lightly apply ur brakes u get a noise. but i could be wrong....worth checkin out

if it works, its all good :lol:

MaCa

Likes Bikes
Regan said:
MaCa said:
its onli when i slightly pull the trigger!
Yeah... It's more a vibration right?

Vibration at the first point of pad contact is both very annoying and hard to get rid of. It's usually due to something being out of alignment or a bolt being loose. The brake mount on the frame may need to be faced with a proper tool.

Check all rotor and caliper mount bolts for proper torque. You could even go a step further and remove the rotor and caliper, clean all surfaces and then reinstall and tighten to the correct torque.

Then try aligning the caliper...

1. Make sure the wheel is properly seated in the dropouts
2. Check the pads to be sure the pistons are pumped out of the piston bore by an even amount.
3. Loosen the caliper alignment bolts just enough to allow horizontal movement with force. This will minimise/prevent the caliper moving when the alignments bolts are tightened. If you do what's in the manual, you'll tear your hair out...
4. Align the caliper centrally over the disc.
5. Tighten the caliper alignment bolts.

I hope this is helpful.
hey thanx for that you are right about it! i am gunna check it out tomorow seeing as im a rower( :? ) so i have like no god damn time to do anything! but yeah thax for ur help!!!!!!

stp

Likes Dirt
MaCa said:
new hfx9's whats wong
well id say you just need to look at all the complaints everyone as with these brakes, they seem to have many problems popping up with them.....

happy breaking!!!!

DYJK

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is just one of those things you have to enjoy like the sound of a razor rock hub or a loud chainguide! You should usally wear them in before hand by doing about 30-40 panic stops down a heaps steep hill! then afterwards they will work fine! :D