New Laptop??

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys

So basically I am due for a new laptop to replace my old apple and am after some opinions on whats to get and what to avoid.

I have done a little research so far and have decided On a few things that are a must:

Windows 7(got sick of apple)
Core i5 processor
At least 4gb ram
No less than 14inch screen
1gb Graphics
About a 500gb Hard drive

So thats where I am sitting at the moment so If you guys with a bit of computer knowledge point me in the right direction that would be great. Also where to go to get the deals:D

Also budget is around $800

Cheers Chris

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mac's can run windows too...

I'd go an Acer. There decent laptops and they've got some pretty good laptops in your price range. Jump onto a computer shop website, MSY/Umart etc and just find the best Acer laptop you can afford!

What EK155 recommended is not bad. But check the bigger computer shops, the prices will be halved to what you pay in most retail shops.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go an Acer.
I am going to say the complete opposite of this, do not get an acer. I have had 2, both from school, and they were the worst laptops I have ever had. They kept breaking and always had to go to the school tech to be fixed, Motherboard carked it a few times, hard-drive spat the dummy, the screen cracked very easily.

I then wen't on to get a MacBook Pro, never looked back, you said you wanted to run Windows 7, you do can that with a MacBook and have the functionality of a MacBook and Windows, but with a PC you cannot run Mac based stuff. plus there computers are dirt cheap if you look in the right place, you don't need to get a brand new one, I picked mine up for $500 2 years ago, it's still going.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am going to say the complete opposite of this, do not get an acer. I have had 2, both from school, and they were the worst laptops I have ever had. They kept breaking and always had to go to the school tech to be fixed, Motherboard carked it a few times, hard-drive spat the dummy, the screen cracked very easily.
I have to agree.

My wife had two Acer laptops and had huge problems with both of them. Acers warrenty and customer service is the worst I have ever delt with.

I WOULD NEVER BUY ACER

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I then wen't on to get a MacBook Pro, never looked back, you said you wanted to run Windows 7, you do can that with a MacBook and have the functionality of a MacBook and Windows, but with a PC you cannot run Mac based stuff. plus there computers are dirt cheap if you look in the right place, you don't need to get a brand new one, I picked mine up for $500 2 years ago, it's still going.

Lol ! I farked up... I posted too early. I was thinking of Asus laptops, but I do have an Acer and it's not bad. Asus laptops are good gear! ROG anyone?

Macbooks are decent gear but there expensive and I don't think they fit in his $800 budget.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dell are really stepping up their game. not sure on their prices but for $800 your not going to get anything outstanding thing new.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you look in the right place (aka eBay) and sit there like a hunter and wait, a MacBook Pro, 2009-2010 Model will pop up, under the $800 budget, with more than the spec you want, it is about being lucky and being there at the right time, I am not pulling this FACT out of my ass, I have seen it so many times. You will be able to run Windows 7 with Parallels on it and if you look around there really is no better laptop's than MacBooks, I dont care how much your a PC fan. You said you had owned one in the past, why not get another one? I will be replacing my 06 one this year with a 11 one for 1300, brand new. 16gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, i7, all the good shit :)

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You do realise the 16gb upgrade kits are $1600 US............

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
$800.00 hey.

So what are you using it for mostly? Your suggesting an i5 so we're talking about a pretty low CPU speed / basic computer; email, internet, word processing, some graphic tasks in photoshop, gaming? 4gb RAM is pretty standard these days, but very important! Even more important though is the graphics card - aim for at least 1gb, makes all the diff.

For all my work needs (memory intense graphic design, CAD, 3d modelling) I have been using HP DV7's. Im on my 3rd one now and I swear by them. You should go to Office Works and have a good play with the laptops there; press the buttons, close the lid - give the thing a good fondle and you will soon realize the quality difference - HP is definitely up there.

So I suggest a HP DV6:

Specifications:
CPU: Intel Core i5-480M
Processor: 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB
Hard Drive: 640GB
Screen Size: 15.6"
Connectivity: Wireless N & Bluetooth
Graphics: 1GB dedicated
Optical drive: SuperMulti DVD
WebCam: Yes
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
12 Month Manufacturers Warranty

And your in luck because right now they are on special at Office Works for 800 bucks! thats a saving of almost 400 bucks!!! fark yer!

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Computers-and-Notebooks/Computer-Notebooks-and-Laptops/HEDV63204

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
If you look in the right place (aka eBay) and sit there like a hunter and wait, a MacBook Pro, 2009-2010 Model will pop up, under the $800 budget, with more than the spec you want, it is about being lucky and being there at the right time, I am not pulling this FACT out of my ass, I have seen it so many times. You will be able to run Windows 7 with Parallels on it and if you look around there really is no better laptop's than MacBooks, I dont care how much your a PC fan. You said you had owned one in the past, why not get another one? I will be replacing my 06 one this year with a 11 one for 1300, brand new. 16gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, i7, all the good shit :)
Bullshit at that price, unless it's hot. Also parallels is only good if you want to use Mac but need to use a windows only app. If you want to use windows just install windows

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
You will be able to run Windows 7 with Parallels on it and if you look around there really is no better laptop's than MacBooks, I don't care how much your a PC fan. You said you had owned one in the past, why not get another one?
Fair call; if you have owned one on the past and your happy with it, then perhaps you should consider another one. However, to suggest these days that a Mac is still better than a PC is a bit of a stretch.
The only reason a Mac performed better in the past was because it always came with a 64 bit operating system which crapped on Win sluggish 32 Bit platform. However, with the advent of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, PC performance is now on par with Mac, if not better in some instances. Did you know that Macs are produced in the same factories as HP, Acer and others? This is done to reduce costs through parts sharing because logistics is a major cost to manufacturers. So really, the only real difference is the aesthetic qualities of the laptop and the operating system - if I wanted to I could install a Mac OS on my PC, no problem.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
asus is the bomb. ive had mine for years, got it second hand, treat it like shit, leve it on for days at a time, cant kill it.