New Phone: Currently on iPhone.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The little Sony RX100s look appealing for a small camera you could take on cycling/hiking adventures.
I own a $700 brick, they are an awesome camera while they work. Quite fragile and not waterproof... we got about a year out it.

Mine died due to dust in the telescopic lens, it got sticky and wouldn't come out, I was able to help it out on many occasions until it jammed. I applied a little more help and it died in my hands.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
For those wanting an iphone and not after the newest model, the US Apple store does refurbs - they're essentially NOS and/or extra units in plain boxes intended for warranty swaps and are always literally new. The Oz Apple store doesnt do refurb phones.

US store of course wont post to Australia, so I had it sent to a freight forwarder in Florida and sent on. I got a 256 GB Iphone 7 and it ended up delivered for about $200 cheaper than buying here. And still has a 12 month warranty the Australian stores will honour.

When I was buying there were assorted 8 and SE available too.

Was nervous about going from the super convenient SE to the larger 7, but so far so good. Its not a one handed phone though...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The iPhone SE 2 might now be called the iPhone 9 - roughly same exterior as an 8 but with updated internals.

Expected around March and should be cheaper than the ridiculous prices of current lineup.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Swapping the battery on my non-iPhone Sony was dead easy in the end. It didn't require a full teardown despite what the youtube videos showed.
I can do it in a few minutes now. The 3M adhesive that holds the battery in is truly sticky stuff and the hardest part was pulling out the older one after being in there for a few years. It just hangs on really well and half the recommended adhesive is all you need IMHO.

Worth learning and getting familiar with it if you intend on keeping you older phone for longer.
Saying that, telco's don't make it an attractive idea since most longer term plans will happily thrown in a handset upgrade to keep you locked in for longer.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Screw plans though. well, depending on usage I guess :)

I pay $150 for 12 months and get 80gb data over that time which seems to be more than enough (6 months in I'm 30 gb down)

I agree, avoid plans if you can. Even prepaid offers a lot these days. Mrs has Amaysim $10 per month which is cheap as it gets and just works for unlimited voice + text +2Gb of data. It is a commodity now.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
"Rumour has it..."
ALL plans/deals/contracts etc will soon be unlimited data.
The race to offer more & more for less has a logical conclusion.