New Phone: Currently on iPhone.....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
maybe when 5G is rolled out, that would be a good business move
Yes, part of the 5G specifications is to provide differing levels of Quality of Service for different market segments. Guaranteeing bandwidth between remote sites in a larger corporate network and low latency slices for gaming as examples.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Finally the admission that it's your data they want, not your money...

Roll out the mass population control grid.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
It seems the battery on my current phone has gone kaput. Is it possible to buy a new phone these days that doesn't have a hole in the screen or rounded edges on the display?

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
It seems the battery on my current phone has gone kaput. Is it possible to buy a new phone these days that doesn't have a hole in the screen or rounded edges on the display?
It is very possible, but you'll lose all your bro-cred at the cafe.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Need a new work phone and hoping to get something that gets through more than 2 years or so...

Recent phones have been Nokia 7plus (great phone aside from an issue with charging port that was repaired twice), Motorola G4 Plus (good, but a bit flimsy), Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, and iPhone 4S.

Prefer the stock Android I've had in Nokia and Motorola, but both handsets have barely got through 2 years.

Pixel 4a interests me but don't know anyone using them and don't have a feel for whether they can match the iPhones for longevity. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Looking to buy the phone outright so I can continue hopping around the cheap reseller plans. Don't want to spend a fortune so around $1k absolutely max and ideally less. Want a camera that can take decent snaps but don't need flagship features (both Pixel 4a and iPhone SE would be fine camera wise).

Minlak

custom titis
Need a new work phone and hoping to get something that gets through more than 2 years or so...

Recent phones have been Nokia 7plus (great phone aside from an issue with charging port that was repaired twice), Motorola G4 Plus (good, but a bit flimsy), Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, and iPhone 4S.

Prefer the stock Android I've had in Nokia and Motorola, but both handsets have barely got through 2 years.

Pixel 4a interests me but don't know anyone using them and don't have a feel for whether they can match the iPhones for longevity. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Looking to buy the phone outright so I can continue hopping around the cheap reseller plans. Don't want to spend a fortune so around $1k absolutely max and ideally less. Want a camera that can take decent snaps but don't need flagship features (both Pixel 4a and iPhone SE would be fine camera wise).
Honestly if you want to know you will last 2yrs buy an Apple they have the best warranty and if you want can even take advantage of Apple Care.
By default Apple will tell you 1yr warranty that's crap they will happily repair for up to 2yrs. All you have to do is mention ACCC says and they tick a box on their system that say ACCC and it gets repaired. Apple Care will offer cheaper repairs if you physically damage it. Apple are normally super quick on repairs too. However depending on where you live Apple Repair Centres are not everywhere.

Second choice Samsung they have 2yr warranty and more repairers than you can poke a broken phone at. Depending on the repair centre can take a bit longer on the repair. No option to add extended cover on them though for damage liquid ingress etc

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Pixel 4a
can’t go wrong w pixel, fast charging is great, stick android fast
what is happening to phones you can only get 2 yrs out of?
i don’t like samsung, run slow w their own bloat, every samsung i have pulled apart is made cheap
apple are solid choice, decent inside build takes more punishment than most others

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've gone on about the iPhone SE before - got 4 years out of mine, donated it to a family member, and now have the 2020 version.

Still small enough to carry in pocket when riding etc.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
My other half is at around six years out of an iPhone 6, I'm on nearly five years on an iPhone 7.

They'll fit a new battery for you when they inevitably start running out of guts.

Never tried another type of smartphone because these just keep on trucking, but if I was to try something else the Pixel does look nice.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Just got a pixel 5 during telstra black Friday sales. 300 off. Read all about the screen gap non issue. I run a cover anyway. Will see how many times i can drop it before it dies. Currently on a my trusty sony xz1 compact, still works fine but the battery is dying.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've got a Pixel 4a recently, switching over from a Gen 1 SE. The SE did sterling service, probably got 5 years out of it with one battery change, but the whole Apple ecosystem shits me with music etc, and after seeing the photo quality from a mate's Pixel compared with the new iphones I decided to make the switch. Reasonably happy so far. Photo quality is awesome, but I would say there are a few more software bugs when compared with iOS, and there are odd quirks such as you can't share WhatsApp content to Skype, the photo uploader in Tapatalk is flaky and the interface is less immediately intuitive. I'm not a massive user of phone features though as I'm no gamer and I don't watch videos etc.