new rider with a question about transportation of bike

jheeno

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
Just purchased a bike recently and getting into cross country.
Tried Loftus oval track a few times and I think I''ll make it my go to to develop my fitness and skill.

Just a question about transportation of my bike.

I will eventually buy a rear mounted rack or roof racks but I haven't decided which one is best for me.

In the meantime to get around I need to remove my front and rear wheels to fit the frame in my book.
Question: Is this an okay practice or is it a no no to always remove the wheels ?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Get a Hilux. Easy.

Now seriously, here's nothing wrong with removing the wheels each time, the only downfall is the time it takes. However, if you're new and you have hydraulic disc brakes you should always put something between the pads as to prevent them from engaging, which can cause big hassles if there isn't anything between the pads. I usually use folded train tickets, just anything to keep them apart.
As for racks, it's up to you. Price and ease of use is a big part really. What is your budget, and how many times a week (or month etc etc.) are you planning to go for a ride you need the car to get to? You may find some racks will fit more bikes and you can take mates out for a ride too.

What car do you drive? I could fit my DH bike (see sig. link for reference to size) in the boot of our old Ford Falcon with the back seats down by only removing the front wheel. You'll probably find a certain method to packing your bike in your car really fast and efficiently after a little while.

EDIT: Falcon was a sedan, not a wagon.

Last edited:

jheeno

Likes Bikes
Get a Hilux. Easy.

What car do you drive? I could fit my DH bike (see sig. link for reference to size) in the boot of our old Ford Falcon with the back seats down by only removing the front wheel. You'll probably find a certain method to packing your bike in your car really fast and efficiently after a little while.
Hey mate yeah I am contemplating getting a Ute or SUV
I drive a 2006 impreza. Will only fit in the rear seat or boot with both wheels off.
My budget is about $300 prefer less.
I might have to revise that if I want roof racks.

I plan on riding cross country ... mostly national park trails
Once a week on the weekends is what I think I can fit at the moment
I have discussed with my two mates and I think our deal is I buy the roof racks
and they will pay for their rails.

fleebag

Likes Bikes
no problem removing wheels. To make life easier always put it into smallest cog at the back before removing wheel.

Get a roof mount carrier, check ebay or put a wanted ad on here.

Sammy86

Squid
Honestly I think the rear mounted racks are a pain, especially if you have a hatch back! I have a towbar mounted rack but only use it if I have to, I find it takes less time to take off my wheels and put a sheet down in the back of the car that putting the rack on.

Some cars you can't open the boot when the racks on on too, I'm currently looking at getting some roof racks.

Hope this helps

jheeno

Likes Bikes
think I am leaning towards the roof racks just need to see how much over budget I will be. Also considering the Saris Bones

I've got a sedan so the seats don't fold
Frame can fit in the boot with the wheels off

Sammy86

Squid
If you have a tow bar already fitted check out what gripsport have to offer http://www.gripsport.com.au/ they seem to be pretty well priced.

From my limited experience i would steer clear of the racks that you hang your bike on. The systems that support your bike from the wheels seem a lot better. I just got a new bike and because of the way the frame is designed it wont fit onto any of the racks that hang your bike by the frame. IMO its worth getting something thatyou wont need to upgrade when you upgrade your bike.

The saris bones system will prevent you from opening your boot, and given your back seats dont fold down you might want to think twice about one of these.