New roadie, first timer with a twist... Well, not really.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Gents,

After the last 12mths or so of not riding after selling the bikes to fund work to the money pit (read - House) i am getting the bug again big time and am looking at road bikes as the chances of me hitting the trails regularly is pretty slim at the moment.

Now this will be my first road bike and have a budget of max 5K to spend. I am sure a lot of you will be thinking that I should buy a cheaper road bike first then upgrade later.

I am not really interested in walking that line. So. To give a bit of background I have been looking at the following bikes. Looking at Ultegra spec or perhaps Campy Chorus??? If any of you have some experience or some advice on the following or even a suggestion or two more it would be greatly appreciated.

Giant TCR Advanced 1
Giant Defy Advanced 1
EMC Equip 1.4 or 1.2
Pinarello FP Quattro
Pinarello FP3
Felt F4

Originally I had my head set toward the EMC Equip 1.4 and I guess it would still be slanted toward that as i can get a great deal on it at the moment.
Then as i walked into the same LBS the weekend just past and saw the Pinarello FP Quattro and now its what I lust for. Especially in the Black On Black colourway. The FP3 piqued my interest as being a more affordable Pinarello with similar design intent.

The Giants were in there as they are the go to in terms of price and value. Plus if i bought one of those it would be a great deal as I worked at the LBS that sells them locally many moons ago and have bought all my bikes there since.

The felt is in there as I think they too are great value and have been producing some great bikes as well.

So even though the heart pines for the italian designed should i let my head rule and head down the EMC or Giant route???

markyh990

Likes Dirt
IMO, the giant, felt and EMC will be the better frames, running the same geo as their top of the line bikes, just different carbon, and i think the pinnarello would be build to a budget, just fit in the line as affordable bike with out much R&D into it. I was in christchurch recently and looked into EMC range and there was nothing but praise. Not the lightest bikes but are build for NZ roads which a rough and bumpy so suit Australia well.

I been doing a bit of research as im going to make a purchase soon, and once the pennies are saved will get either a 2011 Agron 18 Gallium with force or 2011 Focus izalco running force. The chase is nearly more fun as the catch. Im going to wait till the end of winter though, bought a turbo trainer for the MTB until then

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your reply. I would have thought a few more heads would have popped in by now but I am sure they will make an appearance.

Not sure about the Pinarello comment though. It could be valid with the FP3 but the Quattro uses the same mould as the paris just 30t carbon as opposed to 50t. Full Ultegra grouppo and pinarello's house brand MOst componentry. Obviously the Quattro is at the upper end of my budget but its just so damn nice.

The EMC bikes are great value I think and a real competitor for Giant in that market.
The 1.2 is probably what i would look at as a better comparison to the Quattro but I imagine that it would be a little lighter due to the higher quality carbon but not having weighed one side by side it's pure speculation. I love the colourway of the 1.4 and am seriously tempted by it as I think its great value.

Not having ridden them either makes the comparison harder again. Hence the thread.
Halp!

Last edited:

Damienp

Likes Dirt
The Merida's have always been high in my mind as well.
I am just not all that fussed on them this year for some reason. Last year I was all set out to buy a 907 evo and a few financial issues meant I couldn't go through with it. Spewing as I really loved everything about it. This year the EMC is looking great value and then there is the beauty and pedigree of the Pinarello.

Someone must have some experience with the EMC around here??

G'day Damien,
I'm also from Newcastle and I am about to sell my current race bike.
It's a Argon Gallium Pro with Campag record.

If you're interested let me know and I will give you the full details.
Understand fully if you are set in getting a brand new bike. There's nothing like it!

Cheers

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Argon is a brand that i had not previously considered.

Previously I had thought they were a little expensive. That said my budget wasn't quite what it is now.

How tall are you??

I am keen on a new bike however my brain and wallet likes the potential cost savings in buying second hand.

Argon might be another brand to consider.
I haven't thought too much about the Campagnolo stuff other than if it were on an Italian designed bike it would seem a little more complete if that makes any sense? Thus far I have used Shimano since I started riding as a young teen. Which I guess of the grouppo's I am leaning to Ultegra 6700.

I really need to get some saddle time on a few of these but how will this be a true reflection of the ride unless the bike is fitted to me? This might be difficult with the Pinarello, probably not so with EMC and the Giant. Argon I am not sure who sells it up here new.

I'm 181cm or 5'11''.
Active Cycles up at Raymond Terrace is the shop in the area that sells them. It's also where I got mine from.

As for Campag on an Italian bike. The campag on the bike i'm selling was originally on a colnago!

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I would say your frame would be too big for me as I am only just 5'9" i believe.

I have been recommended Clarence St cycles as somewhere to potentially look with a good deal in mind. Any feedback on these guys?

scblack

Leucocholic
Not sure how good any deals would be at Clarence St Cycles. For a roadie, including Argon, I would look at BikeBug in North Sydney. Had a couple of dealings with them, which all went well.

No worries.
The frame I have is only a medium and just get away with it. I could've got a large.
They are good frames though and definitely worth checking out.