New Rotecs in the near future

driftking

Wheel size expert
Just a observation when i rode a mates older rotec, the thing had traction beyond anything iv ever felt when cornering but it felt like the bike lost speed into the corner? as soon as the bike compressed into the apex it seemed to slow down and slug into the corner. By no means was the bike slow but wasn't a fan of loosing speed mid corner.

No idea if this was a set up thing he had going on or if the design had something to do with it.

Even after that though i still considered buying one.

DirtDiggler

Likes Bikes
Just a observation when i rode a mates older rotec, the thing had traction beyond anything iv ever felt when cornering but it felt like the bike lost speed into the corner? as soon as the bike compressed into the apex it seemed to slow down and slug into the corner. By no means was the bike slow but wasn't a fan of loosing speed mid corner.

No idea if this was a set up thing he had going on or if the design had something to do with it.

Even after that though i still considered buying one.
Perhaps just the weight not really wanting to change direction? I really enjoy my RL9, but by today's standards 17-18kg is easy/cheap to come by...I think I'm doing well with my RL9 to get into the low 19's with a pretty light build.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Perhaps just the weight not really wanting to change direction? I really enjoy my RL9, but by today's standards 17-18kg is easy/cheap to come by...I think I'm doing well with my RL9 to get into the low 19's with a pretty light build.
Not sure at the time I had a glory at 22kg so i don't think the weight was the problem.
I'm leaning towards not enough dampening though I was running almost no dampening on my own bike too so that's why I was questioning if it might be the nature of the design.

After writing the above it just occurred to me it could very likely be a slow rebound.

DirtDiggler

Likes Bikes
Not sure at the time I had a glory at 22kg so i don't think the weight was the problem.
I'm leaning towards not enough dampening though I was running almost no dampening on my own bike too so that's why I was questioning if it might be the nature of the design.

After writing the above it just occurred to me it could very likely be a slow rebound.
Fair call on the weight comparo.

A rebound thing could make a lot of sense. I run a lot of rebound on my bikes, whereas my riding buddies don't...their bikes definitely feel more poppy, but I like the stability in the chop that I get with more rebound.

I'm still running the Roco WC that came with the RL9s, but I'd love something a little more tuneable...a CCDB perhaps. I feel the Roco needs a bit more low speed compression.

If the RLi happens, it'll be interesting to see what shock they package it with.

bellsy

Likes Dirt

A stiffer low speed compression setup will reduce the bike going into its travel on change of direction, so it should be more responsive through the corners.
Too soft a low speed compression setup will mean the suspension is still compressing through the turn instead of helping to support your weight during the direction change.

Rebound will either pop you our of the corner (or over the bars lol) as the weight unloads if your running it too fast, or it'll feel a little boggy if it's too slow.
Best to run it as fast as possible without it ejecting you over bumps/jumps so the suspension can get back to it's natural sag level quickly in preparation for more impacts or loaded up turns.

Relative to the RL9 though, I haven't noticed this, boggy mid-corner feel so much. Although I've always ridden Lawwill designs since the old Schwinn days.
It took me quite a while to get a neutral setup between front and rear though. I think the previous owner had it setup a bit funny, but it's sweet now.

I can change front and rear spring stiffness for different tracks, make 1 or 2 minor tweaks to the damping, and the balance feels spot on.

1 minor complaint is that the rebound damping on my Vivid could do with a custom tune to get a little more rebound damping out of the shock. With my stiffest spring, I've almost maxed out the adjustment.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Bellsy the LSC dampening was my first thourgh but as I mentioned I was running little to no compression on my own bike and the feeling was still not so pronounced. I think it may have been the rebound as the bike settled in it held in too long and it wasn't pulling back out or popping as it should from the apex

Anyway doesn't matter I don't own the bike it was just after a ride in a mates.

barron

Likes Dirt
Would have to agree with doing good at low 19's. My '08 RL9 tops out at over 23, was far from a high spec build though. I've switched to an integrated stem and in process of fitting up a crank bro cobalt wheelset to try and lose some bulk. We're talking grams when it needs to be kilo's but bit by bit......

DirtDiggler

Likes Bikes
Would have to agree with doing good at low 19's. My '08 RL9 tops out at over 23, was far from a high spec build though. I've switched to an integrated stem and in process of fitting up a crank bro cobalt wheelset to try and lose some bulk. We're talking grams when it needs to be kilo's but bit by bit......
When I first got my new-to-me RL9 it was just over 22kg. The previous owner had spec'd it with pretty much the heaviest duty parts out there as he was a pretty big guy. So the major changes to get where it is now were:

'08 Marz 888 to 2011 Boxxer WC
Double track rims to Mavic 823's + DB spokes
2.7" High Rollers to 2.5" Minion super tacks now tubeless (except for the rear atm)
Flogged a light surplus XC saddle of my wife's XC bike
Cut down the seat post (Thomson Elite)
Ti coil on shock.

I'm heading to Thredbo at the end of month...I will probably do a full rear end rebuild and chuck some ti bolts in...that'll be about all else that can be done sensibly.

ronin75

Cannon Fodder
The new RLI 275

Hey everyone, been working with sully on the new rli we have been calling is the rl275 in reference to the 650b/275 wheel size. RL275  iso side view.jpgRL275 full render.jpg

just a little peek for everyone

driftking

Wheel size expert
This is exciting :)

Any general hints about changes.

Lower and slacker?
Weight drop?
suspension curve changes?

Come on man Im in suspense lol

ronin75

Cannon Fodder
working on the geo right now, ht angle 64 with 275 wheel the bb is right about 13.875, rear chainstays around 17.12, according to my cad data we have dropped around a half pound off the yoke by itself. :whoo: we are aslo looking at going to the press fit bb30 on the bb shell. replaceable der. hanger, the floater arm is now tucked in closer to the chainstays.

driftking

Wheel size expert
working on the geo right now, ht angle 64 with 275 wheel the bb is right about 13.875, rear chainstays around 17.12, according to my cad data we have dropped around a half pound off the yoke by itself. :whoo: we are aslo looking at going to the press fit bb30 on the bb shell. replaceable der. hanger, the floater arm is now tucked in closer to the chainstays.
I'm liking those numbers :D

Ill happily test one for you ;)

jrewing

Eats Squid
Pffft. C'mon... I've been waiting 2-3 yrs on this. Start planning on 28.25 wheels. That's what they'll be by the time this happens.

Any chance of an enduro bike?

Edit- 3-4 yrs