New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Bloody hell, are they serious?

And how long should a cyclist wait at a set of traffic lights at 5am when it won't recognise that there's anyone there?

Duncan gray sucks balls

John U

MTB Precision
New laws:
Need to carry photo ID
Passing distance law of 1m <60kph, 1.5m for >60kph

Fines:
Not wearing a helmet: $317 :yuck:
Running a red light: $425 :yuck:

Must add more steel to roadie so it trips the lights now I guess!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-...ig-fines-under-new-rules-20151221-glsfo6.html
If these rules were implemented at the same time as allowing cyclists of all ages to ride on footpaths (subject to guidelines) as done in S.A. then it wouldn't be such an issue. You could use the pedestrian crossing if the lights wouldn't change.

$317 for not wearing a helmet seems a bit steep.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Blah blah blah. There should be more roads that cyclists aren't allowed to ride on instead of allowing people to ride on dangerous roads. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a nice scenic ride but I choose the places I ride very carefully so I know I'm not being that cyclist that puts himself in more harm's way than necessary.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
all this will do is force more roadies doing stupid speeds on paved sections like the fernleigh track, time to start walking with a broom stick!

wilso1

Likes Bikes
So from what I can quickly digest, there's two main changes in this package:
- the fines for cyclists breaking certain laws have been increased, including the requirement to carry a licence
- minimum passing distances between bicycles and cars have been introduced.

The pairing of the changes will give the government a chance to say the package offers some quid pro quo. However, I reckon the passing laws will only be enforced where there is a non-fatal accident ie the police will now have an additional tool to charge a driver with. However, that doesn't help the cyclist if it was a fatal accident. But that's the way law enforcement works in Australia - it's more about having tools to penalise people ex post, rather than serving to modify behaviour ex ante.

On the equalising of fines, being brought into line with those imposed on drivers makes it a bit hard to complain against them. But I'm against the one on carrying a licence however, as I will regularly switch between bike and car over the course of a weekend. If I forget to take the licence from one vehicle to another (bearing in mind I'd prefer to ride and sometimes drive carrying minimal gear) I'm potentially up for $106??!! It was introduced to end the situations where a cyclist gives false information to police in the event of an accident, but there are already laws against this.

Alan Jones and Harold Scrubby have too much power.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So with running a red light, do you reckon it's also $425 to go across a traffic lights pedestrian crossing with the red man or bike active?

I do a fair bit of "jaywalking" on the bike like this, might have to stop it!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So with running a red light, do you reckon it's also $425 to go across a traffic lights pedestrian crossing with the red man or bike active?

I do a fair bit of "jaywalking" on the bike like this, might have to stop it!
Look, the main thing is, to have a getaway plan.

I've only ever had one interest from the cops, and the timing was rather close to an awesome downhill bit of single track.....

redbruce

Eats Squid
Bloody hell, are they serious?

And how long should a cyclist wait at a set of traffic lights at 5am when it won't recognise that there's anyone there?
I used to go over to the crossing and push the pedestrian crossing button for the other road. Works fine and is legal.

My view is a red light is a red light. Once you start justifying illegal (ie socially deemed unacceptable by the masses) behaviour, it's a slippery slope littered with incremental, self serving and irrational thinking that can and does end up justifying anything.

Traffic lights are not set off by steel induction loop, they are set off by weight. So try bunny hopping on the square pad section.
Maybe Sydney is special.

Everywhere else induction loops are used which is why they are in the centre of the lane and not under the wheels.

They are laid as two adjoining loops, so the middle line has two lines and is most sensitive. We motorcyclists make sure we run up that middle line to trigger the lights.

Not sure if that works with a pushy as I generally avoid riding on the road.

Last edited:

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
extremely disappointing that it has come to this. sydney's war on cycling clearly continues
one of the great parts of being a cyclist is the comparative freedom - you can just pick up your bike and ride without having to worry about having to take your wallet along. requiring documentation before you jump on a bike may discourage many cyclists

and while cycling with a helmet is most certainly a good idea, harsher penalties for those who choose not to will also discourage more people from getting on a bike

all the while they rip up cycle ways in the city, where it is already a dangerous and intimidating place to be on a bike
thanks nsw government. top work. please, encourage driving, congestion and obesity some more

appears that the cyclist hate is def still alive and well among smh readers - far more anger towards cyclists in the comments on that article than support

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Traffic lights are not set off by steel induction loop, they are set off by weight. So try bunny hopping on the square pad section.
Obviously you have never watched them install them - they just get the cutter out, cut out a few squares and a cable is out in, then mastic over - they are indeed an induction loop. If you want to test, go jump up and down on them a few times and see fi they set off . Then go put some cleats on, and lightly brush the cleat straight over a line cut in the road and voila! The lights will change for you.....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Induction loops on my commute. The old all steel Peugeot 10 speed and the alloy Mongoose hardtail pretty reliably set them off if I stop in the middle. The carbon defy with alloy rims is a bit hit and miss and the carbon Anthem with carbon rims never trips them.

Seriously, who votes for these idiots...?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
While I get the sentiment and frustration, I think not.
Agreed. But also struggle to disagree with the "its a slippery slope" sentiment really being expressed here.

But then again suspect this suggests a level of thought and guile overly generous to these tools.