New Shuttle Trailer design

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
Hey Mate,

Great design, you've nailed it!

I reckon your best way to make some money out of this would be to sell a detailed instructions booklet for, say, around $200.
This booklet would include a materials list, dimensioned drawings for each of the members to cut/fabricate, fabrication instructions, etc etc.

I see the pros of this strategy as:
Minimal effort required by you.
You could sell your design over the internet, with instant product delivery (pdf download). Thereby taking advantage of the "I'm drunk, I'm gonna order bike stuff on the internet" market.
If you were to just sell fully fabricated units, then you'd be pretty much limiting yourself to the local market only, as delivery would be quite pricey.
The customer can then incorporate any of their own ideas to customise the trailer to suit their needs (rather than you having to come up with every conceivable model type).

Cons:
You miss out on making some profit via the materials/fabrication process. But I think that the profits of this step would not be very much at all, given how much hard work it would be.
People are likely to copy your design and share it to their mates for free. There is software available to prevent sharing of PDFs (google FileOpen plug-in).

Not sure how the customer would register their finished product with the local authorities. Is it possible that they could register their trailer through you, and then you arrange for it to be registered with local authorities, thereby giving you a bit of control (i.e. you'll only register their trailer if they have actually paid you for the designs).
there's a big loophole here... but it's just a thought.

I reckon most people with some basic fabrication skills would prefer to have a crack at it themselves... rather than paying for a fully fabricated version.
And you're bound to get plenty of customers who never actually end up building a trailer.

Thats just some of my thoughts.
Good luck with the venture!
Hugh.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Hey Mate,

Great design, you've nailed it!

I reckon your best way to make some money out of this would be to sell a detailed instructions booklet for, say, around $200.
This booklet would include a materials list, dimensioned drawings for each of the members to cut/fabricate, fabrication instructions, etc etc.

I see the pros of this strategy as:
Minimal effort required by you.
You could sell your design over the internet, with instant product delivery (pdf download). Thereby taking advantage of the "I'm drunk, I'm gonna order bike stuff on the internet" market.
If you were to just sell fully fabricated units, then you'd be pretty much limiting yourself to the local market only, as delivery would be quite pricey.
The customer can then incorporate any of their own ideas to customise the trailer to suit their needs (rather than you having to come up with every conceivable model type).

Cons:
You miss out on making some profit via the materials/fabrication process. But I think that the profits of this step would not be very much at all, given how much hard work it would be.
People are likely to copy your design and share it to their mates for free. There is software available to prevent sharing of PDFs (google FileOpen plug-in).

Not sure how the customer would register their finished product with the local authorities. Is it possible that they could register their trailer through you, and then you arrange for it to be registered with local authorities, thereby giving you a bit of control (i.e. you'll only register their trailer if they have actually paid you for the designs).
there's a big loophole here... but it's just a thought.

I reckon most people with some basic fabrication skills would prefer to have a crack at it themselves... rather than paying for a fully fabricated version.
And you're bound to get plenty of customers who never actually end up building a trailer.

Thats just some of my thoughts.
Good luck with the venture!
Hugh.
Great idea Hugh. I had thought about this before however didn’t realize that there would be any way of protecting the PDF documents. I'm not much of an IT guru but that program seems like it would be great.
Thinking I may split it into 2 parts (say trailer & Wheel clamp) so that the guys that do fancy themselves as fabricators after a few drinks don’t loose too much if they don’t go ahead and only the guys that do manage to get out in the shed & have a go buy the full package. The first package would obviously need to have the materials list & for the entire trailer & clamp to allow the builder to buy all materials and give him an idea on what he is getting himself into.
Problem will be that most people will go for the trailer design with the most options and as such set the bar too high for themselves and never get the job finished. Would make more money for me however may leave a lot of sad riders.
Will definitely put something together though
Thanks again for your help

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Great idea Hugh. I had thought about this before however didn’t realize that there would be any way of protecting the PDF documents. I'm not much of an IT guru but that program seems like it would be great.
Thinking I may split it into 2 parts (say trailer & Wheel clamp) so that the guys that do fancy themselves as fabricators after a few drinks don’t loose too much if they don’t go ahead and only the guys that do manage to get out in the shed & have a go buy the full package. The first package would obviously need to have the materials list & for the entire trailer & clamp to allow the builder to buy all materials and give him an idea on what he is getting himself into.
Problem will be that most people will go for the trailer design with the most options and as such set the bar too high for themselves and never get the job finished. Would make more money for me however may leave a lot of sad riders.
Will definitely put something together though
Thanks again for your help
If you have Adobe Acrobat Professional there is file setting including password protection while you are opening (file)

Last edited:

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of free and open source PDF creators out there that allow you to lock the document.

For a club shuttle trailer I think it is awesome, but for personal use (6 or less bikes), I like the idea of the North Shore Racks.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of free and open source PDF creators out there that allow you to lock the document.

For a club shuttle trailer I think it is awesome, but for personal use (6 or less bikes), I like the idea of the North Shore Racks.

They are great and very simple. only one thing i dont like, how the rear wheels are tight with ropes to rack.

Mr_Gareth

Likes Bikes
duuuuude that ns rack is wicked! so simple but for some reason those kinda things just doesn't occour to people sooner. cept for they are milking it way to hard.. prices are way to steep for what they are. poor grip lol. id be tryin to hush that up.

Unitec you are a legend,

After seeing the video Iwas pretty impressed and after seeing it unfurl to what you have made and how many bikes it can easily and safely carry, I commend you on the practical versatility and design thought.
Again well done and anyone who wants a great setup please harras unitec; it is well worth the money.
See it for yourself.
Well done.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dunc,

i reckon you need to build me one of those North shore racks! i reckon that is the answer to everyones problems.
* easy storage
* fit any vehicle with a tow bar.
* seem to be fairly solid from what i saw in Canada.
* wont suffer from trailer-itis. (the cons of shuttling with a trailer)

sorry to jack the thread...

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
Hay bud, you need to think global if your serious about your idea. I have contacts that may be interestd in asisting you with your idea. PM me if your interested.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
dunc,

i reckon you need to build me one of those North shore racks! i reckon that is the answer to everyones problems.
* easy storage
* fit any vehicle with a tow bar.
* seem to be fairly solid from what i saw in Canada.
* wont suffer from trailer-itis. (the cons of shuttling with a trailer)

sorry to jack the thread...
I drew up the plans a few months back to make one of these. The next step for me was to build a scale version out of wood to make sure my calculations were correct. I never got round to doing it though :(

Im not sure what the legal side of using a design as inspiration for personal use is. You couldn't sell them though.

Maybe the best idea is to become a aussie distributor for the NS racks.

BT146

Likes Bikes
Great design! However, I don't think the "sell the detailed plan" model will generate as good a return as:
1. there are probably very few mountain bikers who have the capability or time to actually build the trailer.
2. it is more likely that some manufacturer will buy the plan, copy it and start selling the units.

I think you might be better off investing in a lawyer to see if you can patent the design, and help you to licence the design to a manufacturer / fabricator. Once that is set up, all you need to do is collect a royalty payment everytime your trailer is manufactured / sold. No need to set up a web-business to sell the design, maintain the site, pay to draw traffic to the site, etc etc.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Hay bud, you need to think global if your serious about your idea. I have contacts that may be interestd in asisting you with your idea. PM me if your interested.
Thanks
I would if I could however was unable. Seems that you may have to change some settings to allow people to PM you.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
bah ... where do the Bikini clad Bike Loaders sit ??? obviously they can't fit in the shuttle truck as it will be full of my new mates who want to shuttle with me 24/7.

Where does the stretcher go for the mate you have to pull out whilst you wait for the Westpac heli-chopper to return the second and third time round. ???

Finally where's the minibar ... please use these helpful suggestions for future design innovations.

BOT: I like the fold up idea and the retractable bits ... particularly for my current garaging situation. Bit exccy ... but driving down the material costs and getting some Oompah Lumpas would help there.

nathanC

Likes Bikes
top design mate , looks like it will work great .

maybe a ute back and a trailer design for exsiting trailers would sell more.
less work for you and you dont have to worry about rego .

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
Mate, you hit the nail on the head, and did it bloody well, looks amazing and simple, if you when into mass production i would buy one.

datnat

Likes Dirt
Nice work there mate. A real credit to you!

I too can see the advantage of the clamping system to be adapted to existing box trailers, in fact I would buy one right now if the price was right and they were available ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your idea develop and hopefully sell!

Tommo