New South Wales base confirmed for Repco Rally Australia.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty happy to hear this news. Having the RWC held in my local area will be nothing short of awesome.

10/9/08
New South Wales base confirmed for Repco Rally Australia

The organisers of Repco Rally Australia have revealed the brand new location for their event which returns to the WRC calendar in September 2009 and will be included every second year from then on.

Last run in Perth in 2006, the rally’s new base is 4000km away on the east coast in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales (NSW), with the majority of competition taking place in the Tweed and Kyogle Shires. Rally headquarters will be the Salt Resort complex in the town of Kingscliff, while the service park will be constructed on the beach nearby.

Details were announced in Sydney today by the organisations that will run the rally - Events NSW and the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS). The deal with Events NSW is for an initial five events, taking it through to 2017 with an option to extend for a further five events.

Exact route details will be confirmed in the coming months but there are provisionally 16 gravel stages in the Kyogle, Murwillumbah and Mullumbimby areas. As well as the competition stages, all the major teams will take part in promotional activities in Sydney to kick-off the rally week.

Subaru World Rally Team driver Chris Atkinson, a native of Australia’s Gold Coast, said he approved of the new location. “From a competitors’ point-of-view they have chosen a region that offers outstanding rally roads and the very best infrastructure for all the teams,” he said. “From a fan and sponsor point-of-view, it really is going to be excellent with all the action of the rally plus first class tourist facilities.”

Atkinson said he hoped to give his home crowd something to cheer about next year: “I give it everything at all the WRC rounds, but maybe with all the local support at Repco Rally Australia 2009 I could be looking at the top step of the podium.”

As the last man to win Rally Australia in Perth, BP Ford Abu Dhabi team driver Mikko Hirvonen will have a unique opportunity continue his run of success in the Northern Rivers region. “That certainly has a nice sound to it,” he said. “All rallies offer a different challenge and I’m sure Repco Rally Australia 2009 will bring out the best in all the teams.”

Hirvonen said he was looking forward to returning to the country. “The welcoming nature of Australians has always impressed me and I’m sure the rally will further underline that. The opportunity to also spend some time in Sydney is sure to be a highlight. I am sure that those who attend and follow the rally will be rewarded with a great event.”

The CEO of Events NSW Geoff Parmenter said he was delighted to have beaten three other competing states to secure the event for his region. “Hosting the World Rally Championship - the highest profile four wheeled motor sport championship after Formula One - on a regular basis in Regional New South Wales will drive tourism, create jobs and deliver major economic benefits to the community,” he said.
Parmenter estimated that hosting the rally would generate more than $100 million of direct economic benefit over the life of the agreement. “And the event provides a unique platform to showcase Northern New South Wales to the world. Last year more than 816 million people in 180 countries watched the World Rally with around 51 million viewers per round.”

CAMS President Colin Osborne said he was thrilled that the rally would visit one of the most spectacular regions of New South Wales and added that more than 2,000 volunteer officials would ensure the event was run safely and successfully.

The rally will be sponsored by Australasian vehicle parts giant Repco, the company which also supports Rally New Zealand.

“Our involvement with motor sport dates back to our partnership with Sir Jack Brabham as he conquered the World Formula One Championship,” said Colin Daly, the company’s general manager. “More recently, our sponsorship of World Rally Championship events in New Zealand and Australia fits perfectly alongside our core business as Australasia’s preferred supplier of vehicle parts, solutions and accessories. We look forward to working with Events New South Wales and the Repco Rally Australia 2009 team to create an exciting and memorable event that will showcase New South Wales, Australia and Repco to the international motor sports community.”
With the much loved 'Speed on Tweed' ending this year I think this is music to the ears for alot of punters. Even if you're not particularly interested in motor sports or rally in particular I think alot of people will really appreciate an event such an event being run in their local area.

Definately raising my hand as a volunteer.

Taken from the WRC website. Link here http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=2590&desc=New%20South%20Wales%20base%20confirmed%20for%20Repco%20Rally%20Australia

n00b

Likes Dirt
Fuck yes!
Ive always thought some of the quiet back roads around the northern rivers would make excellent rally stages!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Exact route details will be confirmed in the coming months but there are provisionally 16 gravel stages in the Kyogle, Murwillumbah and Mullumbimby areas.
Oh fuck yes, this is about fifteen thousand kinds of awesome!

The girl's folks are 5 minutes from Mullum'! Guess where I'm holidaying next semptember!:D

floody

Wheel size expert
Speed on tweed , how is a club level street sprint event even remotely related to WRC?

Good to see a fresh venue, lets hope it can kick off now dilemma is gone.