New South Wales with Family

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks again guys for all your help, booked in now - 19-22 in the CBD, 22-24 in Blue Mountains, 24-27th in Wollongong (staying at base of Mt Keira).

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A break from work and a coming down with a cold so a chance to look at my riding options, staying at a hotel in the city without a car for the first few days so I'll try not to push my friendship and do a trip out to Horsnby/Westleigh - looks like good bang for my buck timewise and maybe a spin around Manly dam. I can take the bike on the train if it's not too packed? Likely to be Sunday the 20th, so I assume should be fine?

Blue Mountains am staying in Blackheath, seems to be some stuff close to town on Strava and some close fire trails to look outs that would be worth a trundle, Mount York also looks interesting and not too far away, any locals know if there is phone coverage there? Conscious of the fact I'll likely be riding alone and I imagine it doesn't have much traffic, would exercise caution but you never know. Will need to wrap any riding around touristy trips to Wentworth Falls, 3 sisters, Jenolan caves, Scenic world.

Mt Keira trails seem to wrap around the place I am staying so should be playing there on the 25th before GreenValleys on the 26th :) should be a good way to finish even if there is plenty there I am not up to.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Westleigh and hornsby are both easily accessible by train/5ish minute ride if you change your mind.

There is an amazing network of trails around mt Keira and you would probably get the most of it with someone to help show you the best tracks to link up. That's no reason to abandon the trip mind you. Trailforks or strava heat map will get you most of the way there. I would have offered to show you the tracks at mt Keira but I'll be riding somewhere interstate (should we organise house swaps on here?).

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers LPG, am staying 3/4 way up Mt Keira Rd, so should have a reasonable opportunity to do a bit of exploring. no doubt some local knowledge would be a bonus as you say. Airmtbnb I think it has legs...or wheels...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There is riding near Mt Victoria but beware of climbs that follow any DH bits.

Lawsons Long Alley and Lockyers Road might be worth a look but Lawsons Long Alley is an out n' back.

The Glowworm tunnel at Newnes is worth seeing and follows an old mining railway in. You would need more time for this one.

I would suggest Narrowneck that goes south from Katoomba. It is not a techy nor hard trail and about 20kms out n' back but makes up for it with the best views bar none. Entrance point is in Glen Raphael Drive at Katoomba. Follow it up to the parking area and head out from there. You can't get lost on this one. Reminds me that I have to get out there again too.

The Hazelbrook St is worth a mention and is very twisty. I find it a pretty hard ride overall since it eats up your energy but is a bunch of fun nonetheless. Entrance point is on the corner of Railway Parade and Reserve road at Hazelbrook. The first drop in at the start is a bit unexpected.

Ctmtb link here has a list of trails near Da Gow......http://ctmbc.net/rides
Screenshot_20190101-215343.jpeg
Screenshot_20190101-215406.jpeg
20160806_121706.jpeg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can take the bike on the train if it's not too packed?
I take my bike on the train all the time. Other passengers are real wierd about it, mostly some hate bikes and others are really cautious of them. Peak travel times are not recommended. If you end up using the north shore line to hit Hornsby, jump off at Milson's Point on the way back and ride over the bridge. It delivers good vibes. Also...see how far up you can ride on the northern steps. I'm not much of a climber and can struggle my way up the first 3 flights. One day I hope to make it all the way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Awesome thanks
Add to that advice a stop off at the harbour view hotel on the way home...

https://www.harbourview.com.au

With the significant demographic change to that neighbourhood over the last couple of years I'm sure it won't be long before it cops a bland modernisation. The rooftop is a great slot for a rest. As a bonus when it's been busy the staff have let me stuff my bike in the store room away from busy eyes and fingers.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Blue Mountains trains for fine for bikes.

I think the end carriages and the ones in the middle are best for bikes and have a bike hanger in them not that I've seen many use it at all.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Bikes are ok on the train. Peak hour you need a child ticket for the bike.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
^^^ I think that all changed when they brought in the Sydney Opal card system...bike is free at all times.
I guess the bike wouldn't be holder af an Opal card nor will the RTA/Transit Cops have any way to police them either.

Viva Opal......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bikes are ok on the train. Peak hour you need a child ticket for the bike.
They ditched that with the opal cards. Plus I have never in all my years of using trains and taking my bike been asked about having a ticket for it, despite being hassled by the authorities quite regularly.

For all those interested, nsw has just introduced paying directly with some credit cards. You tap on and off just like with opal, without the hassle of loading money onto your card. Currently the police are unable to assess if you have actually tapped on or off with your card though this is expected to be resolved around March. Not sure how this works if mum and dad decide to take the family out for a day. Will each family member need a credit card? Just imagine if there was an simple way...like having a ticket. Opal was a shit system and I'm glad to see an alternative being put into play.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They ditched that with the opal cards. Plus I have never in all my years of using trains and taking my bike been asked about having a ticket for it, despite being hassled by the authorities quite regularly.

For all those interested, nsw has just introduced paying directly with some credit cards. You tap on and off just like with opal, without the hassle of loading money onto your card. Currently the police are unable to assess if you have actually tapped on or off with your card though this is expected to be resolved around March. Not sure how this works if mum and dad decide to take the family out for a day. Will each family member need a credit card? Just imagine if there was an simple way...like having a ticket. Opal was a shit system and I'm glad to see an alternative being put into play.
Cheers didn't know about the use of regular credit card (or phone) works well for blow ins like me who don't have an Opal card! They should do that here (Perth) I think everyone has this kind of RFID system now don't they? We have had it for ages more than a decade according to Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure you can still buy a ticket here though if you need to. No public transport close to riding here though so I never take my bike on the train.

Thanks Mr Crudley for all your Blue Mountains help, looks like I should get to use my bike to get great views and get a fund ride in up there, have to make sure I don't ride off a very big cliff!

Shame the new bike park won't be open when I get there but will be an excuse to do another trip with Thredbo, Canberra, etc, good to see the country heading in the right direction, shame we seem to be getting left behind a bit in the West however I am heading down to some new trails tomorrow and I rode some others last weekend, there are bits and pieces, just not quite the same as Tassie and Victoria and seemingly NSW now too potentially.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You mean the Gosford bike park? I'm pretty sure that won't be very easy to get to without a car.
Would have picked the hire car up a day earlier if I needed to :) am driving from CBD to Blue Mtns then to the Gong. Just no car while staying in the city as I didn't see the point.

Cheers

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out to Hornsby this morning if there are any of you Sydney crew out there this am say hi! Better than 40 degrees at home! Wearing same helmet as profile pic riding red and matt grey 2015 trance adv with Pike up front.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the airport waiting for the plane back to Perth, had some good riding in NSW thanks all for your help, enjoyed Hornsby, not huge as people mentioned but gave me the chance to do several runs so got to know things than made it fun, climbs are steeper than I thought and a rockier than I thought it would be too. Rode some cool old school single track near Blackheath and also out to Hanging Rock and back, had to skip heaps of the single track as it was getting dark and I was late for dinner. Plan was to ride out to Narrow Neck the next day but we went to Scenic World and there was an almighty thunderstorm so we were stuck there a fair bit longer than planned on the plus side the waterfall went from a pleasant flow to a raging torrent, anyway I ran out of time and didn't much like the thought I may get struck by lightning so that was it for the Blue Mountains. Mt Keira was great, my slack legs didn't enjoy the climb all the way up the road but it was worthwhile, would have been even better if I had more legs/time to do multiple runs and know the trail and hit a few more features. Final day yesterday at Greenvalleys, great fun, got a bit lost trying to follow the trails some times but enjoyed all the runs I did, seems like a huge amount of work maintaining the place with all the dense growth and heavy rainfall. Again not knowing the trails is fun but doesn't really allow you to fully enjoy them, Sam Hill I am not! Second and third time down was getting into the groove, was hot though and I was pretty spent before 2pm. So back on a plane to Perth, look forward to seeing the Illawara escarpment plan come to pass, great dirt there it will be awesome. Just need to lose about 10 degrees or about 80% humidity from when I was there, maybe winter is the time to go, same as Perth. Thanks again see you next time NSW.