New street/ jump/ general cruise around play bike. Last Rufus or Leaf D.2...

Damienp

Likes Dirt
So here's my next dilemma.

I am interested in getting a Street/ DJ frame to build up to be a jump/ street/ everything around the place bike.
Some new information in the later posts below which now are the focus of this thread.

Essentially i have 2 frames that will be here sometime this week, A Last Rufus in Scarab Black and a Leaf D.2 in Raw.
One of these will have to go so i need some help with which one to keep!

Need some help with this one guys, any advice, reviews or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

Damien

Last edited:

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
I just did the same thing as way your doing basically.I got a dh and screw jumpin that n shit so i built a bike lyk u want.I used a dmr transition frame though

and what did santa cruz do to the jackal frame.the old version looked way better.I wouldnt be gettin one...I lyk the transition park-street or wateva it is though.I recon would be a great frame to build off of.

Single speed all the way to mate.I was tossing up between both and ended up goin single with 28-13 gearing.its perfect.i never feel lyk i have to hard or soft of gearing.Greatful i went single speed way.Also dont get a front brake.You really dont need it and it saves you money and weight.If you are planning to do tailwhips and barspins etc go cable cuz the brake line gets qinked.If you arnt doin them go hydos'.Keep the bike simple as.

good luck mate

Staunch

Eats Squid
As the proud new owner of a Transition T.o.P. (thanks again Cedel :)) Iwould highly recommend one, they're a great frame. Also I would go with a mech brake, I run an 08/09 (dunno which) BB7, very good and easy to adjust, I prefer it much more over a low end hydro like a juicy 3.
Also as dhDRucer said, a DMR transition frame would be a good choice for a general much-around bike, Bart Man is selling one, contact him for info :)

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Yeah, i am not a fan of the DMR transition frame. Just something about it just doesn't agree with me.

This years jackal looks heaps better IMO than the year before. Saying that the previous model looks like it could be ran over by a mack truck and still survive.

I guess i am more leaning towards the Trail or Park or the Bank frames.

Componentry wise however it will be the best that i can afford with choice parts being obtained SH.
Brakes i will probably still go hydro, with an elixir set up of some description probably CR's. Just like the feel of a hydro brake, plus am considering giving one of the new hydro detanglers a go for shits and giggles. Not that i see myself doing any whips and stuff but you never know, this old guy might learn some new tricks.

probably some deity cranks, stem and bar setup and some hope hoops for wheels or maybe some of transitions own offerings.

This will be a little pet project for me this year i think so i am not too focused on the cost of things.

Last edited:

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ToPs are massive in North America, they're the equivalent to Suburbans here.

That being said, the Bank looks pretty decent as well, although it's a brand new model, so in-depth reviews will be hard to come by. The Santa Cruz is a nice frame, but it looks a little more 4X-ey than street to me, and you pay through the nose for SC anyway.

Of those you mentioned, my recommendation would be either the ToP if you want to run exclusively 26" wheels, or a 24" Suburban if you want to be able to run either.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
The ToP was the frame that i had initially decided on when i first started looking around getting ideas... But then i really started looking around and thinking, and there really is soo much out there.

I am keen to check out a built up bank soon, TBSM think they should have some in soon so i will have to make a trek down there and check one out.
Hopefully one of the guys has their ToP there as well.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Small grave dig i know but you get that from time to time...

So i have a Leaf D.2 and a Last Rufus that will be sitting beside me shortly...
Which would be the better frame for street/ jump/ a bit of everything and could be converted to a 4X weapon if needed??

Which ever gets the no vote gets put up for sale!

Cheers

Damien

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I vote Rufus. Last bikes are insane. I had a Raffnix and loved it. Can't speak for Leaf Cycles though.

Trialsguy

Rhythm Imports
Yeah if you want to go something a little special check out the Last Rufus or something thats going to set the new standard for cromoly frames check out the new NS Majesty (arriving next week!)

If you can afford it, go the Majesty for sure! its made out of an extremely high grade Sanko cromoly with triple butted down tube. The whole frame goes through a patented heat treating process after welding. The frame is then black-oxidised internally and externally, which means it will never rust!
NS claim that this and the new Capital 2 are the strongest frames they have ever built at only 2.2kg!

NS Majesty: $999 Specs HERE

Last Rufus: $799 Specs HERE

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I am well versed on the greatness of the of both those frames presented Trials guy. :)

However, this doesn't help me with my quandry, see at some point this week there will be both a Rufus frame and a Leaf D.2 sitting in my house and i will need to decide which frame is the frame to build up and which one i will need to sell.

I might change the title of the thread to reflect this a bit more as the thread has moved in this direction.

any more help would be most welcomed!

Cheers

Damien