New technology - Is riding now too easy?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
all the trails are now made for geared 29ers and blokes in full racing kit strava-ing their imaginary mates :bored:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I have the latest garmin, latest carbon tech in my frame, wind tested world class wheels and I still ride like a bag of sh*t.
All the technology in the world will never make up for the fact that I have absolutley no natural talent on a bike.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Bigger Crashes

I think the improvements in bikes & trails simply allow the riders to ride faster & take on bigger risks.
It is true that it is allowing a lot more whimps to enter the sport however for the riders that don't mind having a go these improvements are resulting in bigger crashes making body armour & shin guards pretty much redundant.

markb84

Likes Dirt
In the mid 90's I rode a steel specialized hardrock with RST elastomer forks and magura hydraulic rim brakes, I used that bike for everything; trials, XC, jumps and what I considered at the time to be DH. Fast forward to today and I ride a carbon nomad with 6 inches front and rear and disc brakes.
I've got pictures of the stuff I used to ride, and it seemed huge at the time but is what I would consider to be tiny and easy now. The trails were great fun but badly built and didn't last through serious weather.

From my point of view the technology has helped me improve my riding past what previous bikes were capable of but the ground work that was done on the hardtails was essential to make me ride properly. I'm still not the fastest or best rider but I know how to hit a trail well, flow and enjoy myself. Starting on the latest and greatest is a breeding ground for poor technique.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I also wonder if 10 or 11 speed will make me a better person
You can only do so much with a pigs ear. :D

Tech- $6k to spend - would you rather the carbon bike of your dreams , or

8 days in Vancouver, whistler riding on current steed ?

Last edited: