NSW New trail near Ballina (Uralba)?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Obscure one, probably of little interest to 99.9% of 'burners...

I was driving from Lismore to Ballina over the weekend and noticed some newly cut mtb trail on the northern side of the Bruxner highway here. There looks to be an old quarry just NE of this location and a dirt road leading off the highway a little further on.

Wondering if anyone knows any more about it - is it private land? New local club? You're local aren't you @safreek - heard anything on the grapevine?

safreek

Obscure one, probably of little interest to 99.9% of 'burners...

I was driving from Lismore to Ballina over the weekend and noticed some newly cut mtb trail on the northern side of the Bruxner highway here. There looks to be an old quarry just NE of this location and a dirt road leading off the highway a little further on.

Wondering if anyone knows any more about it - is it private land? New local club? You're local aren't you @safreek - heard anything on the grapevine?
Hi mate, if it's about halfway to ballina from lismore it would be the new duck creek tracks, at the moment I have only had a look from the car park, to many people that day for me to ride the beast around, apparently there is a fair few climby bits so am going to wait til there is less people to impede, if I wasn't going to the dentist tomorrow I would if had a ride on the mouvasi around there.
Will get out on Thursday and let you know a bit more.
It was built by the nrdr, I think that's their name, I will check and then give props to the correct name of the group.
They are a real pack if goers, this is the second lot of tracks they have got built in the last couple of years. The other one is at new Italy. There is some sort of race out there in the near future. I will get more info and get back to you in the near future, thanks for bringing some notice to the tracks in the northern rivers, we have more than weed and ice problems here.
We also have a rainbow crossing in tiwn

Nambra

That’s the one @creaky, and thanks for the other info @safreek, sounds like the northern rivers is finally starting to get some local ride locations. It explains the bike I saw on the back of a local’s car in town.

I had heard about the New Italy tracks, as well as some near Grafton (Bom Bom?) and also Kyogle. I grew up in the area and still have family living locally so I’m down that way fairly often. I’ve got more reason now and will definitely take a bike with me next time and check Duck Creek out. Northern NSW has so much potential as a mtb destination - I hope this is the start of many more to come.

Nambra

Necroposting my own thread with an update.

I finally got a chance to go check out this Duck Creek mtb park last weekend. It's very a compact park with lots of short ups and downs, mostly steep flow / tech trails with gaps, table tops, jumps into berms and some decent drops including the odd ramp. There's twenty odd trails in a 500m x 500m area - definitely not the place for a lazy XC ride as most tracks are only a few hundred metres long. It's all well-built (Trailworx?) and is the sort of place you could go to session some technical stuff to develop your bike skills. Does that about sum it up @safreek?

If you're planning on a holiday in the area, definitely take a bike. If you live in SEQ and want to try something new, it's worth the ~2hr trip.

Random YT video I found of one of the trails to give you an idea:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Thanks for the update. Looks like a bit of fun.
I'm down that way for work at least five times a year so will get out to these trails next time.

Nambra

Actually the climb that was recommended to me by a couple of locals is quite pedestrian, just a one way trail with a bunch of switchbacks. There’s a couple of other one way up options that take a bit more effort with a more direct (steeper) route, one of which I did try but it wasn’t that bad either. The thing is that the tracks are that short that before you’re too cooked, you’re back to the top and coming down again.

It’s definitely has a “built for fun” theme, with some more advanced features for the better riders. Fortunately for me trying them out for the first time (and I’m a hack), most of them are rollable - challenging but forgiving at the same time. Great for building confidence.

Details and trail map can be found via @creaky’s link above.