New XT.

will2

Likes Dirt
^^ have you got your chain routed correctly between the two jockey wheels ? Probably do but it just looks like it's taking a strang angle between them.
I thought that but was too afraid to point it out. It does look odd.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look at the first pic, the chain isn't coming off the bottom of the top jockey wheel straight down to the lower jockey wheel. Chain is most definitely on the incorrect side of the spacer tab on the cage.

Minlak

custom titis
Well you are all right.... The chian wasn't mounted for those pics I roughly routed it to get the pics done and had the chain held with my hand out of shot :)

Yes its routed properly NO its not routed properly in any of those photos.....:whoo:

So rode for a few hours this afternoon. Never missed a shift even multi shifts and never dropped a chain. Was XC riding and I don't jump so would have been surprised to lose a chain. Rode with a couple of guys that have last gen XTR shifters and the shifting is definitely heavier on the XT-8000 stuff. Am I happy I bought it? Sure the 11 speed makes for a much smoother transition and being built specifically to do just that works great. I had no previous issues with the One Up Stuff shifting either but did notice the tooth gap when changing from 13 to 16 to 19. I was found wanting on a couple of climbs today it seems those extra 2 teeth I had before did make a difference. I didn't walk though still pushed through so I am sure its something I will just get used to.

*Just to qualify its only the front lever that feels heavy. So going down the cassette from 40-11 I didn't think to try pushing it forward instead was too bust waiting for my bike to spontaneously combust after so much work.

Minlak

custom titis
Is it lighter than the superseded XT shifter, or about the same?
Bear in mind I hadn't ridden the MTB for 2 weeks in my opinion only its certainly no lighter on the front lever and I think about the same on the other lever. If I had a knife held to my balls my answer would be its heavier. It feels crisper and more precise but certainly not as light as last 10spd XTR. On our next club ride (next weekend) some one will have an XT I will try them back to back.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I certainly found the m785 shifters heavy, the Saint shifter was an improvement. Shimano claim the m8000 has a longer lever for a light feel so will be interested to see if it's spin or not.

Ivan

Eats Squid
IMO the new XTR has a heavy action too, so that may not be a solution. Maybe the dérailleur spring has been beefed up for the Wide Range cassette...

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or all the derailleur clutches are really tight from the factory and take a while to break in?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Shifting is super smooth with the clutch off.

You can adjust the clutch strength externally with just a hex key. I think getting this and b tension just right will determine the shifting action.
One thing we have noticed during a few installs, chain stay cable routed frames end up with a bit of a funny loop to the derailleur to get the right angle. Be sure to leave plenty of cable there to allow for stretch during suspension action.