New XT.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
^^^ I have the same driveside crank rub issue on my czar with the crank boots installed. I cut out the inner face of the crank boot which was enough to resolve my issue. Still has the 'end' section of the boot there to protect from rock strike.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Installed the new XT a few weeks ago, quite happy with it all in all, having the extra cog smooths of the ratio quite nicely.

Having some issues with the the chain falling off the big cog when back pedalling, if if do 2+ revolutions the chain will fall all the the off the 11t and jam into the frame.

Took a spacer out which made the chainline a little better, the chain will still fallout the 42t, but not nearly as bad. But, now under power the crank will hit the stays, poop.

So I'll have to put the 2.5mm spacer back in to the bottom bracket to space the cranks out, but now chainline is going back to really shit, rather than just put up with it shit.

Had a googles, does anyone make a direct mount chainring with offset to space the chainlin further inwards? It if was a standard 104BCD i'd just throw some spacers in, not sure spacing a direct mount out would work.

This didn't happen on 10spd with a OneUp 42t, the gearing limits are correct and the shifting is snappy and fine.

Not back pedalling isn't an option on some climbs, as I need to clear cranks/pedals as the frame it low.

Edit: oops, cranks are racafeace cinch, as far as I can tell, sram rings with 6mm offset aren't compatable with racefaces direct mount cranks.

View attachment 317824

View attachment 317825
Dont stress too much, chain falls out of 42t on back pedal with the complete XT drive including cranks too! Pitty, only flaw so far.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Dont stress too much, chain falls out of 42t on back pedal with the complete XT drive including cranks too! Pitty, only flaw so far.
Mmmmhhh... Hope T-Rex sometimes does the same. Not a problem for just backpedaling to clock the cranks, but if you give it like one or two revolutions, sometimes it does it.

May it be a limitation of using one ring to cover all cogs in 11sp set-ups and recent trends of short stays? The chain angles become quite extreme.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Gee I had this problem on the Trance from 11-36 cassette, haha.
If I backpedalled slow it would stay on, but fast and it would drop off the top pretty quick.
I bought 2mm chain ring spacers but never bothered to use them due to not having longer chain ring bolts sitting around.
Does it matter if the chain ring bolts are only single ring?

Some people say yes, others no...

M8000 gear should hopefully arrive today for the Spitfire, I'm hoping it's not too bad in the 42t without spacing the front ring... previous gen XT 2x crank up front.

Minlak

custom titis
Im getting the XT8000 11-42 Cassette today and the 8020 Trail Pedal as well. I will back pedal when I fit it and see as well.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Why would you NEED to back pedal several revolutions?

If it's falling off while navigating technical stuff with 1/4 turns then that sucks because you're headed to Tingly Fig town

BizL

Likes Dirt
My xt stuff arrived from wiggle yesterday.
Time to get it on the Spitty and take it for a ride at Hollybank tomorrow.
:)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Why would you NEED to back pedal several revolutions?

If it's falling off while navigating technical stuff with 1/4 turns then that sucks because you're headed to Tingly Fig town
I wouldn't do two turns ever while riding, but your second line is absolutely spot on! On a climb to suddenly clear the pedals over a ledge or rock I may need to back pedal usually not more than 90 degrees. The issue is if I do this rapidly, which is what will happen if I am trying to maintain momentum, the chain will drop a few cogs, then put the power down, crunching sounds and potentially snapped chain.

Removing the 2.5mm BB spacer seemed to help a lot - but I have put that on as the clearance, even without the crank boots is not enough, looks like wolf tooth do a direct mount ring with 2mm extra offset over the standard raceface ring, this is probably going to be the best option.

Might be able to space it out another mm on the crank as long as the lock ring can tighten enough.

My LBS supplied and installed the following XT gear on my Trance XO 29er 11-42, Mid cage RD, 11 sp chain, Hope 32t chain ring and 11sp XT bar mount shifter. I previously had XT 1x10 with a 32t widget. The new XT 11sp system works fantastic so far I haven't dropped a Chain, the gear changing is crisp and precise right across the range. It does require a bit more pressure on the levers to change gears especially going from small to large and it did get noticeable towards the end of the 4 hour ride that I did. I am very happy with this setup and it is definitely more versatile than the 1x10 I highly recommend it

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
Had put an order with CRC in early June, checked with them last night, now saying they won't have stock until Jan 2016.I cancelled that order and gone via Evans whomhave stock.One question is will the new cranks fit existing xt/xtr bottom brackets ??,

Haylex

Likes Dirt
I had a crc order and it seemed the I spec B shifter was the delay. I got them to remove and refund the shifter and I got a tracking number for the remaining items (42t casette, med cage, chain) within a day.

Will probably end up just getting a bar mount shifter locally.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My gear arrived from MTB Direct today... man that 11-42 cassette is huge!
I've never had a shifter with a gear indicator before... does it just come off by removing the screw?

Also with the chain, as a reminder... does it go like this:

Compress shock fully, wrap around front ring, wrap around largest rear cog, not through derailleur, and add 2 full links?

I plan to bump the front from 32t to 34t in the next few weeks, will the same length chain be fine?

Minlak

custom titis
I've never had a shifter with a gear indicator before... does it just come off by removing the screw?

Compress shock fully, wrap around front ring, wrap around largest rear cog, not through derailleur, and add 2 full links?

I plan to bump the front from 32t to 34t in the next few weeks, will the same length chain be fine?
Hahahaha I went to order that cassette from MTB Direct and it sold out whilst it was in my cart. I got mine from TBSM instead it also arrived today.

Chain wise that's pretty much what I did.

I am dropping the front to 28t and putting a 42t on the rear so my chain should be the right length going from 30t front and 40t rear.

When you fit it up don't forget to pedal backwards :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
One question is will the new cranks fit existing xt/xtr bottom brackets ??
Yes.

Supposedly yes
NO. You're better off waiting until you have the 34t
You could, but a better option is to chuck it on the small sprocket & pull sufficient tension so there's about a finger thickness clearance between the top jockey wheel & the lower span of chain (in this gear the derailleur cage sits basically horizontal). Given this method ensures sufficient length for multiple chainrings, it will allow you to play with chainring sizes and have enough to allow for suspension influence too.

DO NOT use the big sprocket/bypass derailleur + two links method if you're even remotely contemplating adding a bigger sprocket at either end of the system!!!! That method sets the chain for the biggest you currently have and makes no allowance for upward alteration.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
^+1 for the meister's method.

Ordered my M8000 stuff off Wiggle and ze Germans yesterday.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I think so, there should be a cover plate provided to replace the indicator pod too.

Minlak

custom titis
I think so, there should be a cover plate provided to replace the indicator pod too.
I didn't get a cover plate and it didn't look like you could remove the window to me. I hate it.... makes me look like a numpty (even more so). I will replace it with an I-Spec as soon as they are available though.