New XT.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How does that break a tooth off? ...... Serious question I can't fathom a situation where a clutch can break a single tooth.
Also very curious about this too. Having only used Sram clutches, having to be mindful of tension makes me nervous now.

Minlak

custom titis
Also very curious about this too. Having only used Sram clutches, having to be mindful of tension makes me nervous now.
Never heard of it myself a too short chain sure.... Or even tension was too tight I broke my dérailleur but not current scenario.... Keen to know as epic this weekend

Warp

Likes Dirt
I'm not even sure the clutch is needed at all. I never use it and I haven't had a single issue with chain drops on n-w rings.

Maybe out of pure luck, but I ran a 10sp non-clutch rd on a 1x10 set up with zero issues. To me it's just additional weight.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm not even sure the clutch is needed at all. I never use it and I haven't had a single issue with chain drops on n-w rings.

Maybe out of pure luck, but I ran a 10sp non-clutch rd on a 1x10 set up with zero issues. To me it's just additional weight.
1. Chainslap.
2. Get off the perfectly groomed trails. Bouncing off bumps while pedalling will throw it off occasionally. You really worry about that weight? Would it be 20g? Do you run a guide?

edit. Add 15g for clutched XT over non clutched.

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
1. Chainslap.
2. Get off the perfectly groomed trails. Bouncing off bumps while pedalling will throw it off occasionally. You really worry about that weight? Would it be 20g? Do you run a guide?
Chainslap for sure is the biggest benefit I've found. I've gone on rides where something's just felt a bit off. Bike seems noisier, not as tight. Get home, to realise that the clutch was off, and it all makes sense. Never dropped a chain either, but I'd never go back to a non-clutched system.

Flint

Likes Dirt
How does that break a tooth off? ...... Serious question I can't fathom a situation where a clutch can break a single tooth.
Yeah I don't know how I managed it. The chain was sized as per every other chain I have ever used and its never been an issue, that's wrap it around the 2 biggest cogs excluding the DR and add 2 links.

Up on the work stand when up-shifting to the last 4 cogs it got progressively harder to pedal until I turned off the clutch at which point I turned it back on and felt the clutch tension and it was pretty hard move the cage at all. With the clutch off it was fine as per my 1st 2 rides on the setup.

I guess its possible I hit a rock but I think that's unlikely as I ride very carefully as I am recovering from a broken leg, I cant afford any kind of fall. Surely if I hit a rock there would be DR damage as well?

Just have a play with it yourselves or leave it off.....

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I have 3 rides on my new XT 1x11 now. The 1st 2 were fine but just before the 3rd I noticed I’d left the clutch off. So I flipped it on and off I went. The clutch was way too tight and I broke a tooth of my 42, it’s now a 41 :-/

Make sure your check and adjust your clutch tension before riding. I now have mine set very light.

Cheers
Hi flint,

I discovered last night, after 9 months of abuse, my rear mech's clutch was tighter than a teens grip on a boner. It's an SLX shadow plus. Still worked ok but was adding pressure on the drive train.

I greased up the clutch and cam and now its running firm but butter smooth.

It's not so easy to adjust the tension on the shimano gear without semi dismantling but I found lube makes the difference between a tight cranky clutch and a sweet smooth one.

The factory skimp on lube, bored worker, dab dab that'll do.

Lube it up, a tight but smooth clutch is so quiet.

Warp

Likes Dirt
1. Chainslap.

edit. Add 15g for clutched XT over non clutched.
AH, chainslap... never too bothered with that.

Our trails are not groomed but as long as the RD wasn't actually hitting the chainstay I never bothered with it.

I don't run a guide, I haven't had chains falling off. Previous XT version was lighter and didn't gave me headaches (even on a 1x10 set up), so that's why I think saving a bit of weight was good.

Hey, I care so much about the extra weight that I bought the porky 11sp version. :D

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah I don't know how I managed it. The chain was sized as per every other chain I have ever used and its never been an issue, that's wrap it around the 2 biggest cogs excluding the DR and add 2 links.

Up on the work stand when up-shifting to the last 4 cogs it got progressively harder to pedal until I turned off the clutch at which point I turned it back on and felt the clutch tension and it was pretty hard move the cage at all. With the clutch off it was fine as per my 1st 2 rides on the setup.

I guess its possible I hit a rock but I think that's unlikely as I ride very carefully as I am recovering from a broken leg, I cant afford any kind of fall. Surely if I hit a rock there would be DR damage as well?

Just have a play with it yourselves or leave it off.....
The single tooth breaking off has me more perplexed... weird..... got me checking mine now but.

Flint

Likes Dirt
The single tooth breaking off has me more perplexed... weird..... got me checking mine now but.
Maybe it was the 11 speed suntour quick link I used.... The bike shop assured me it would be fine despite it's odd shape. Perhaps a combination of very tight chain due to the clutch and shifting up just as the link was meeting the cassette caused it. Thoughts?

Attachments

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stoopid shift window..... The look of it doesn't phase me, but it screws with the position of my brake lever.

Have to put shifter in board, but also move my brake lever out... Poo.

moorey

call me Mia
Stoopid shift window..... The look of it doesn't phase me, but it screws with the position of my brake lever.

Have to put shifter in board, but also move my brake lever out... Poo.
If you ran shimano brakes......