New XT.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Hmm ok, will add 2 links before the weekend.
Do it with the shock deflated so you allow for chain growth through the suspension stroke.

This is why I reckon the big/big (for when there's more than one chainring involved) & bypassing the derailleur method of chain measuring is a load of shit - it doesn't allow for the fact that the new crop of derailleurs are bloody massive! (And also doesn't allow for any increase in either chainring or sprocket size).

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
This is why I reckon the big/big (for when there's more than one chainring involved) & bypassing the derailleur method of chain measuring is a load of shit - it doesn't allow for the fact that the new crop of derailleurs are bloody massive! (And also doesn't allow for any increase in either chainring or sprocket size).
I'm with Duck on this. I always use the small/small method and size the chain so the slack is only just taken up by the cage. Never had any issues doing it that way.

Flint

Likes Dirt
Do it with the shock deflated so you allow for chain growth through the suspension stroke.

I now agree, that method is no good for new 1X11 setups. I have added 2 links and its all much better now. Concede I fucked up, move along nothing to see here....:whistle:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So quiet. Coming from a 2x the new xt is so quiet. I also have the dropping back cogs in the 42 when peddling backwards.

Very happy and is only going to improve my speed and fitness.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I'm with Duck on this. I always use the small/small method and size the chain so the slack is only just taken up by the cage. Never had any issues doing it that way.
Last night was the first time I went with it and I totally agree. It simply works, no fuss.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Okay, I got to install the thingy.

All in all, the set up is a whopping 15gr heavier than running the 1X10... which is impressive as it has 1 nice chunk of steel/aluminum more than the old set-up.

I'm getting the dreaded backpedal chaindown. I just think it is consequence of having a cog further inboard the wheel and the resulting chainline.
I run two rings on the same 2X crank. The issue is more present with the outboard ring. It almost falls off in one quarter of a revolution. With the inboard 28t it takes up to a full revolution.

The picture is pretty crappy, but I think it illustrates the point. Other than moving the cassette out OR the rings in, it is a bit too much to ask to a drivetrain. The chainline is a bit extreme towards both sides but the larger diameter on the cog makes the issue a bit bigger. Not a problem under load, pedaling forward apparently.

One slick feature from the XTR rear shifter (I don't know if it is present on the XT to be honest) is the 4 DOWNshifts and double UPshifts (or is it triple?). Two pushes on the lever and you're pretty much in the other end of the cassette. Not a trick you want to pull under load, but nice to have.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
Looks like a 2x11 without an FD?
That is what it is... 2X without the weight penalty (or the convenience of a FD).

Thinking about keeping it like that or going full XTR for the rest of the FD thingy.
For Darwin trails 1X is enough. With the 42, I could get rid of the small ring.

We'll see.

EDIT... My former post reads like if I'm high... making no sense.

I meant "XTR REAR Derailleur"
I meant "move the cassette out OR rings in".

Lo siento, no hablo ingles.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
That is what it is... 2X without the weight penalty (or the convenience of a FD).

Thinking about keeping it like that or going full XTR for the rest of the FD thingy.
For Darwin trails 1X is enough. With the 42, I could get rid of the small ring.

We'll see.

EDIT... My former post reads like if I'm high... making no sense.

I meant "XTR REAR Derailleur"
I meant "move the cassette out OR rings in".

Lo siento, no hablo ingles.
It's worse than that - you meant "XTR shifter" not dérailleur ( for the shifting that is)

Warp

Likes Dirt
It's worse than that - you meant "XTR shifter" not dérailleur ( for the shifting that is)
True... thanks for the correction. I guess it doesn't help to hurry up a post while your boss is coming to your cubicle...

Actually, I messed up with the downshift/upshift thing too.

All good. All corrected now.

Lo siento.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, the funkiness is in the shifter. XTR allows four shifts in one sweep of the main lever (that's downshifting, despite going onto bigger sprockets) compared to XT's three. Both have two-way release, but XTR allows two each way, while XT allows two on a pull of the trigger & only one on a push shift.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm getting the dreaded backpedal chaindown. I just think it is consequence of having a cog further inboard the wheel and the resulting chainline.
I run two rings on the same 2X crank. The issue is more present with the outboard ring. It almost falls off in one quarter of a revolution. With the inboard 28t it takes up to a full revolution.
The cassette is four millimetres wider than 8/9/10-sp, with all the extra width inboard. Changing offsets won't fix much, just move the problem - you'd get it ramping up to the second sprocket at the other end instead - 'cos it's such a massive bend across the system. Simplest solution is to not backpedal on the big sprocket.

moorey

call me Mia
Fitted mine finally. Been looking at it for almost 2 weeks. Xtr shifter, and X1 chain. Fuck, that's clean, crisp shifting :hail:

No dropping off the big cog during back pedaling for me so far, btw.

stirk

Burner
Fitted mine finally. Been looking at it for almost 2 weeks. Xtr shifter, and X1 chain. Fuck, that's clean, crisp shifting :hail:

No dropping off the big cog during back pedaling for me so far, btw.
Eagerly awaits a for sale thread once the kool aid wears off after one ride.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yep, the funkiness is in the shifter. XTR allows four shifts in one sweep of the main lever (that's downshifting, despite going onto bigger sprockets) compared to XT's three. Both have two-way release, but XTR allows two each way, while XT allows two on a pull of the trigger & only one on a push shift.
Far out, I love it when duckmeister is wrong.

XT 11 speed is 2 "upshifts" with a thumb push, not pull of the trigger: pull (forefinger) is one only

You're welcome...... ;)