Newb question

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to all who read this and think " well, durr... that's easy". Can this bracket be replaced easily with one that raises the front derailleur a smidge?

The adjustment is maxed out and as a result the front derailleur cannot clear the big dog..
The result is the bike is effectively a 1x9..! 53x26 I think is the gearing?

Now, this is a Frankenstein that was a 3x and now is a 2x using 10 speed ultegra cranks with a 53 tooth chainring.

First road bike and a steal at $250!

Cheers for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you'd need a custom one or file/elongate the hole - its not far off getting proper clearance

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Looks to me like it's a Giant OCR or Defy from between 2007 & 2012-ish. The hanger is optimised for a 50T max big ring; try replacing it with one from an '08 or earlier TCR, which kicks up a bit higher to give more clearance, or just file the top of the slot out a bit, but be careful and keep an eye on it, because they can be prone to splitting.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks to me like it's a Giant OCR or Defy from between 2007 & 2012-ish. The hanger is optimised for a 50T max big ring; try replacing it with one from an '08 or earlier TCR, which kicks up a bit higher to give more clearance, or just file the top of the slot out a bit, but be careful and keep an eye on it, because they can be prone to splitting.
Good spotting.. its a OCR from 06-07 i was told.

I suspected that you could swap it out. Thanks for narrowing it down.

Mica

Likes Dirt
If you can remove the bracket you could alway use a clamp on bracket (see below) which will allow you to put the front derailleur anywhere you like. Pretty easy and cheap item to find online or at a decent LBS, just make sure the clamp is the right size for your frame.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can remove the bracket you could alway use a clamp on bracket (see below) which will allow you to put the front derailleur anywhere you like. Pretty easy and cheap item to find online or at a decent LBS, just make sure the clamp is the right size for your frame.

lovely.

so,...that is a clamp on derailleur bracket as opposed to a braze on?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
lovely.

so,...that is a clamp on derailleur bracket as opposed to a braze on?
It's a clamp-on adaptor for a braze-on derailleur....

Problem with such a beast in this case is that the existing mount bosses may interfere with the clamp band & prevent it being fitted.