Newbie - Gloves ?

black4tress

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Just slowly getting into mountain biking - have done the oaks a couple of times and also did the dirt works 50k this year. Was wondering what gloves to use. Currently using road gloves with exposed fingers but I feel if I come off, it won't protect me all that well.

Can you guys recommend a value for money glove, well ventilated yet have enough protection should I fall (I assume all fingers covered, whatever that is called). Btw, I won't be racing, just more recreational riding.

Thanks in advance.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of Specialized Enduros (is that their name for everything??) and they are a good glove but not worth $55.

I also have a set of Fox Inclines, very good value glove at around 30 bucks, they are comfy and have done 800 odd k's with no probs or unusual wear. Check out Fox Digits if you want something with a little more rubber and padding.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im using black Fox bombers MotoX gloves. I got them from a Moto store. They are pretty good for ventilation, with a breathable material in the area between wrist and knuckles. They have some really good knuckle protection (Kevlar which looks llike Carbon Fibre :D).They have a triple layer protection/padding around the palm incase you come off. I would recommend them but they are on the expensive side of gloves. My firend has some Tioga XC gloves (*i think) and they are just a single layer all the way around except on the palms where it is 2 layers.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Troy lee XC (I've got the 07's) gloves are the bomb. Very comfortable and grippy not to mention they look awesome too. Their well vented and breathable but can still get pretty smelly after a few longer rides but they aren't hard to hand wash.

cheers,
Nathan

Viv92

Eats Squid
Troy Lee XC or GP gloves are the only gloves I would ever used. I recently lost my 6 month old pair of red XC's. :( Now I have a new set of GP's. :) I'd personally rather the XC's. Both are as comfortable as each other (same design I think) but the XC has better ventilation because it doesn't have as much protective stuff on top of it. I've tried on a few other gloves recently as lends because I lost mine, and at my LBS when I was getting new ones, none are nearly as good as the Troy Lee ones.

patto94

Likes Dirt
Troy lee XC gloves.

Yep, go the cross country gloves because i just got a pair and they fell really good and from what i have been told they dont wear down too fast, but they also give you great protection. Money wise they are good for 50 bucks, or if you want you can go the down hill set which are an extra fifteen bucks, but they have the rubber stuff on them, and i think that makes it wear down slightly faster from werar and tear from the rubber.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I have some fox digits they are awsome gloves. have stacked several times and the gloves dont even have a single rip or tear. i think i payed $40 for mine they are well worth the money.

black4tress

Likes Dirt
Thanks fellas - that was quick.

Ok, tossing up between Troy Lees XC and Fox Digits. Looks more like Mr Lee :D at this stage.

Thanks again.

ridefreecitizens

Likes Bikes
+1 more for Troy Lee XC's, I had some 07 Fox sidewinders but they didn't fit properly, so traded them for some XC's which fit great and breathe really well.

black4tress

Likes Dirt
How much are you guys paying for these Troy Lee XCs and any where can I get some. I'm in Sydney City or South West Sydney

Thanks

mushroom

Likes Dirt
I can't comment on the TLD gloves, but the Fox Digits are great. I chose the Fox gloves because they appeared to be a little more durable. This comes at the expense of ventilation, particularly compared the TLD gloves.

The Fox Digit gloves also have rubber knuckle protection, which is just one more bit of protection. Mine have paid for themselves in encounters with thorns, barbed wire and trees.

You'll most likely end up with a couple of pairs of gloves anyway- they get pretty festy if you need to wear them a twice in a row, so try both!

Arete

Likes Dirt
I use tld XC's for riding, and I have a pair for scuba diving too (they offer heaps more feel than a pair of scuba specific gloves, and are half the price). I used Raceface gloves for diving and they fell apart after 10 dives (didn't like salt water I guess). The TLD's are kickin' along fine after around 120 dives, if that's any indication of the build quality.

Also, for riding, the TLD's offer great "feel". I like them better than any of the competition due to the fact you can just feel all the controls better.

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Fox Digits. Had mine for ages and they've worn well. Not too hot in summer and have been tough enough to handle anything I've thrown at them.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go the fox. I had some TLD's and the didn't last, which surprised me! Paid half what the TLD's were for some fox at a moto store and haven't looked back. $30 and last years of riding at least 5 days a week.

takai

Eats Squid
I have a pair of 1997 Fox Pawtectors. Only just now started to wear through on the middle finger... Bloody good build quality.

That said, a friend's Fox Digits wore out in about a year and a bit of riding, and we mostly rode together so they got 1/10th of the wear of mine.... :confused:

I think im going to have to go have a look in the MX shops again for new gloves.

Oh yeah, i use a pair of 661 Raji's for photography work, and love them for that.

taibo

Eats Squid
ive got both the TLD XC's and the 661 raji. Both are awesome gloves but the TLD's are a bit more hard wearing then the 661's. In saying that the 661's give a great feel. 661's are also a bit more breathable on top as they have a mesh type material, whereas the TLD are a bit thicker on top.