Newbie here :)

sammo72

Cannon Fodder
I am new to the mountain bike scene and found this forum by accident.
I'm 48 (wow that is hard to admit), an ex Cop and battling the demons of PTSD and suicidal issues.
I purchased my Norco FS 9.2 in 2018 and it sat in the garage until I recently started dating a girl who's 2 boys are mad mountain bikers.
It's been a great way to get to know them and build our relationship.
So I dusted off my bike and have been running the local beginner lines, whilst watching the boys tear up the hard stuff.
I will apologise now for all the newbie questions and dumb comments.
I am your classic 'all the gear and no idea' candidate, but keen to learn more and enjoy this sport.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm 48 (wow that is hard to admit), an ex Cop and battling the demons of PTSD and suicidal issues.
I purchased my Norco FS 9.2 in 2018 and it sat in the garage until I recently started dating a girl who's 2 boys are mad mountain bikers.
So I dusted off my bike and have been running the local beginner lines, whilst watching the boys tear up the hard stuff.
I am your classic 'all the gear and no idea' candidate, but keen to learn more and enjoy this sport.

View attachment 363761
Welcome aboard. I found mountain biking and this forum at about the same age. I now have more issues than before but would never go back. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No such thing as a dumb question, not until you should know better. Ask away!

Where are you located?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

View attachment 363761
Welcome to the party!

Amongst all the name calling and general BS, there is a shit-tonne of information on here, and even more real world experience.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Welcome sammo. I reckon there's not much better for finding a bit of mental breathing space than getting out on the bike and enjoying the simple pleasures of the great outdoors. Glad to have you here.

Threads tend to go sideways quickly, but like @Cardy George says there's plenty of info to be found once you get used to all the characters!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome! Riding is top fun and can be as thrilling or as chill as you want. Make sure you've some decent protection (knees / elbow / gloves) to work with your helmet and get to new trails when you can.

Well done on getting into it before too long. 48 is plenty young enough.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'd go no sleeves.
Aaaand we’re derailled already...

Welcome @sammo72 - 48 puts you among many others of a similar vintage here. Thank you for your years of service as a cop too, it’s got to be a tough gig. Fortunately you will find both frivolity and genuine support here - think of it like a Men’s Shed without the woodwork.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Welcome sammo. 48 is definitely the correct age to get into it. I started a bit over a year ago at 47. Love my hardtail, and bought the obligatory mid life crisis FS. Love that too. Gotta be better than a convertible red Ferrari, right?

Regarding our aging bodies, I am now about three years post spinal surgery, and my back handles the gnar, thanks to my rehab gym program.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
there is heaps of other Mountain bike based forums out there that you can gain a wealth of knowledge and information from too, you will find out soon enough that Rotorburn is strictly for "Virtual Riders" and most of what we say is total bullshit and bollocks, but we have a great time doing it..
it is a great community, welcome aboard....New Bike Time!

moorey

call me Mia
Welcome cobber. Your age is on point here, as is your struggle with the black dog in many of us. Do what the doc says, take meds if prescribed, eat well, talk to friends, ride lots, update your bike regularly, be good to people (other than the people on here)....that worked for me in dark times and still holds*

As above, any helpful advice or technical support is incidental.

*not a doctor, just a jerk who found what works for him.

Brow

Big Block
Welcome Sammo, now you are part of this sometimes disfunctional but wellcomming family, what bike are you getting next? The answer to most bike problems ends up being-time for a new bike, n+1 is the rule.
See you on the trails - well in spirit anyway, I live in Qld and for now we can't leave.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Welcome. Ask away, you will get good answers. And probably plenty of others for your amusement. Keep that dog in its kennel and live life.