Newbie - Reigniting the Passion - Decades in the Making...

B_P_J

Squid
Ok so I am obviously a newbie here... Firstly... Thanks for letting me join.
Now where to begin.... I guess maybe I can start with why am I here...
I am from the Central Coast and I last rode Mountain Bikes seriously (and with fury and confidence) around 18-20 years ago, when I was a wee 20-22 year old... (1980's baby) then at 23, it happened, my daughter was born, life changed, I got serious.... (and fat) and kicked away a lot of the "dangerous hobbies" and made a move on getting my career sorted, with plenty of wrong turns and set backs but hey, you don't learn without them.
Fast forward to today, my daughter is a lot older (as am I) and I felt the need to dust off the old legs and get back into pedaling (and no not the Road Bike kind) I am now about 6 weeks into owning a new (2nd hand) MTB, and absolutely loving it, so glad I made the decision to get back into it for exercise and social gatherings with old friends lost along the way, slowly building fitness, confidence, bruises and even more scars, but still getting up after those falls, smiling and brushing it off.
I must say this community is amazing, in the few rides I have had out at Ourimbah Mountain Bike Park there have been some amazing people, young, not so young, oldish and even olde... lets just say... even younger, yeah that should keep them happy. But I have been amazed at how great everyone has been, so encouraging, so keen to grow the community and help others out along the way, those little pieces of advice can sure help people who just aren't so sure on things. My confidence and skill levels sure aren't what they used to be, but with time and patience they will grow, and maybe, just maybe, I may be able to hit some of those larger gaps/jumps/features that at the moment I am pretty sure I would wet myself walking over/up/down them, don't get me wrong, I am hitting some of the features I thought would take me months if not years to build confidence to try and been happy when I get through them, but looking forward to developing away from the old dead sailor every time I hit the jumps that little to fast, my head keeps telling myself to relax but my stupid body just does what it wants to do...
Anyways enough of my ranting, I am so glad to be here and hope to get to ride/meet some of you along the way. I look forward to reading more about everyone and what this forum has to offer.
So as I said in the beginning, Thank you for letting me be here.

B_P_J

Squid
Nice. Got the daughter on the pedals with you? Nothing better. Welcome.
Unfortunately no she doesn't ride, the wife and her are way too unco and clumsy to put on two wheels, not sure what happened, she used to be a really good bike rider when she was young, I kicked around on an old BMX with her, lol.

moorey

call me Mia
Cool. Once you get riding more, she may pick up on it. Offer, don’t push, and she/they might surprise you. The down side is spending more on their bikes than yours...but still.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unfortunately no she doesn't ride, the wife and her are way too unco and clumsy to put on two wheels, not sure what happened, she used to be a really good bike rider when she was young, I kicked around on an old BMX with her, lol.
Sounds like she is just out of practise.

Welcome aboard. You been riding much else around your 'hood other than ourimbah? You're exposed to a lot of trail options.

ausdb

Being who he is
Welcome aboard/ back there's a lot of us here in your situation. I started with MTB, went roadieing for a while as that's what my mates rode, had kids and stopped riding and now as my son is older (9) he's shown interest in MTBs which has rekindled my enthusiasm. The main thing as @moorey says is don't push, what I am finding is something that is easy for me and brings back old memories is scaring the crap out of my young guy so I need to be more aware of this.

B_P_J

Squid
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I would love nothing more than to have her riding with me, but she is at that age where she just wants to spend time with her friends and her boyfriend.... she will have her P's within the month and then we are never going to see her... well that is until she wants money... lol... but I am happy she is happy, and even still without her I am sure to enjoy the rides... and if the wife was to ever ride, lets just say I would be spending more time in the emergency room than on any bike or trail, scary enough with her behind the wheel of a car, can only imagine the carnage she would cause on a MTB... ;);)

danncam

Likes Dirt
If you get your daughter out on a mtb ride, spend a little time first on brake control... otherwise they might go otb within the first 10 minutes and fracture a vertabtae. I have not tried to her back on since and neither would I be allowed