Newbie upgrades advice

Belhamel

Squid
I know there is a lot of opinions about brand names etc., but how do I know what is 'good'. How do i know what i have is good or what to look for. I'm talking drivetrain, forks and brakes. I'm riding trails at the moment and am going to start doing XC soon. I hope this is detailed enough.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the best way to get to know the ins and outs is start reading the mags any of the Aus mags are filled with product and bike reviews that discuss the quality of the product or in the case of bikes componatry. By reading the mags you'll start to pick up on the lingo and you'll know whats going on before you know it. Also check out the parts n stuff section of the forum read all the old posts usually whatever question you have has already been answered

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I know there is a lot of opinions about brand names etc., but how do I know what is 'good'. How do i know what i have is good or what to look for. I'm talking drivetrain, forks and brakes. I'm riding trails at the moment and am going to start doing XC soon. I hope this is detailed enough.
You either go and talk to your local bike shop guy or read a lot of forums/product reviews/etc... have a look at what the elite and the pro's are using is probably a good start. Chances are what you have is a lower market of that. Brands etc.. come down to personal preference then and/or once you get to know your bike better and understand what works (for you) and what doesn't.

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Check out www.mtbr.com

Also, mainstream brands such as Shimano, Avid, Rock Shox, etc are all generally good products and will serve you well.

I may help us out a bit if you let us know what parts you are looking at specifically, or is this just a general question? A general question can only really be answered with a general answer though....... (see above)

My advice is to upgrade bits at a time, not only so that you don't burn all your cash, but also so that you can more effectively learn the differences or benefits of the upgrade after it has been done ,and appreciate the improvements.. rather than dumping a whole bunch of money into lots of parts all at once.

Last edited:

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
generally speaking SRAM X0 and Shimano XTR is really good. other stuff not so good.

However, generally you can do a fair bit with lower level gear and most people don't have the money, the need or the inclination to spend the $$$$ to get real high-end stuff.

I say ride what you have until it breaks, then ask for opinions on here about specific parts for replacement, or just ask about what should be upgraded.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
generally speaking SRAM X0 and Shimano XTR is really good. other stuff not so good.
With suggestions like this, you have to be reminded of what sort of rider you are, how you ride and where you ride. While the SRAM X0 is an awesome kit, it has some strength sacrifices meaning if you are particularly hard on your gear, or ride primarlily in areas where rocks and things have the potential to rip your derailleur from your bike, the X9 or the Shimano might be a better option. The same goes for any component really. If your a mid-heavy weight that enjoys a bit of 'plowing' (sorry to use that term in an XC base forum here...but I mean someone who doesnt really choose their lines carefully), superlight carbon components and SID forks probably arnt for you.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also have a good look at what the top level bikes are running.
Like the $5000+ models.
You'll see brand names all over parts and start to see some common specs amongst those bikes. Logic then follows that when shopping for upgrade parts (when you've identified what parts you want), those are good places to start.
The more you read, the more you'll find out, but try mags and mag websites first to avoid the inevitable myriad of opinions you'll get in forums ;) and then look for rider's experiences before asking questions... you'll get as many different answers as there are people in the forum!