Newbie with some questions

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, the 'drop' is actually the big tree stump over the back of the basin known as the playpen. There's nothing I ride over that's long enough in duration for me to justify one. Hell, I took the fork lockout remote off yesterday, it had seized up from lack of use.

Happy to stay ignorant on this one! :D
I was shit stirring, I know that stump much nicer with a dropper.
I agree you don’t need one where you live. It is nice on a hardtail though so you can get longer travel out of your legs through the rough stuff rather than the seat hitting you or hanging off the back..

Ok, so I have been looking at dropper posts and think I will take the plunge. (no pun intended) I know my post diameter is 31.6 and from what I've researched it seems to be best to get the max amount of travel possible (150mm ideally, 125mm minimum). Are electronic ones a pain due to there being electrics that can go wrong and so are cable ones more reliable? Thoughts/opinions??
If my frame doesn't have internal routing for the cable, how or where on the seat downtube is the cable mounted? The front downtube seems like it has internal routing so that should be ok. Will it be a case of having to remove the bottom bracket?? I can't seem to find a video showing that issue. My bike is 2014 Merida 140B All mountain in case anyone is familiar with it.
Thanks again in advance.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Is it like this one? http://www.mtbiking.com.au/bike/merida-one-forty-1-b

If so, it appears to have internal routing for a dropper. There's probably a hole on one side of the downtube up near the headtube and the cable will route down and around the bottom bracket and back up the seat tube to the base of the dropper post. It might be easier to remove the bottom bracket to install the cable but not essential - you should be able to get a cable outer through the frame with a bit of fiddling. Just patience and a six pack...

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Sweet baby jeebus, are they couplers tacked on there? They're braver than me...

well as is typical, it was easier for me just to buy a new bike with a dropper installed as standard rather than worry about getting one fitted. Sold my Merida to my son and grabbed myself a Polygon Siskiu T7 with 29 wheels. Have only ridden it around the streets and the MTB and BMX tracks at Homebush in Sydney but it feels pretty good. Totally different sitting position to the Merida so it will take some getting used to. Looking forward to hitting some trails soon!
Anyone with any experience with these bikes?

safreek

Well done on the bike, the shock positioning looks much cooler than the merida, you finally have an erect shock. Surprised you didn't get the smaller wheels coming from tiny wheels
Good luck on the riding,

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
well as is typical, it was easier for me just to buy a new bike with a dropper installed as standard rather than worry about getting one fitted. Sold my Merida to my son and grabbed myself a Polygon Siskiu T7 with 29 wheels. Have only ridden it around the streets and the MTB and BMX tracks at Homebush in Sydney but it feels pretty good. Totally different sitting position to the Merida so it will take some getting used to. Looking forward to hitting some trails soon!
Anyone with any experience with these bikes?
Well that went from 0-100 real quick!