troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,

Brand new to this BMX thing, just had a shoulder reconstruction last week and being told I can't ride for 3 months I thought now would be the perfect time to start a new project. Got a straight swap for my old DJ bike for this Norco Speed Metal 24". I'll be the first to admit that I have zero idea about BMX, I just want to build up something fun to rip around the pump track and the local BMX track, maybe even have a crack at racing later on down the line.

So here is the bike as she stands now, just after a bit of advice really. What parts need to be changed, paint scheme/powder coating, plus if you guys have any parts that would suit that your looking to sell shoot me some offers.

Also any info anyone has on this bike or any of the gear would be greatly appreciated, don't even know what year it is!

Frame - Norco Speed Metal
Fork - ?
Handlebars - Mongoose
Stem - 1" Threaded
Headset - ?
Grips - Mongoose
Saddle - S&M
Seatpost - GT
Rear brake - Tektro V-Brake
Cranks - Shimano Alivio 46t
Chain - ?
Pedals - Mongoose flats
Sprocket - ?
Front hub - Alex Double drive
Rear hub - Alex Double Drive
Front rim - Alex DM-24
Rear rim - Alex DM-24
Tyres - Felt Slip=Not 24x1.75

Attachments

redbruce

Eats Squid
How tall are you, looks to be a very small frame and the one inch steerer will be a limiting factor for upgrades.

I'd just ride it and see how you go. Will meet your requirements as it is and if you get into racing (one try and most of us get addicted) put the cash toward a better race bike.

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
How tall are you, looks to be a very small frame and the one inch steerer will be a limiting factor for upgrades.

I'd just ride it and see how you go. Will meet your requirements as it is and if you get into racing (one try and most of us get addicted) put the cash toward a better race bike.
cheers for the advice mate, I'm 182cm tall and the frame has a sticker on the top tube saying 23cm. Not even sure what that is a measurement of, but the frame looks bigger in person so I'm hoping it will be ok.

redbruce

Eats Squid
cheers for the advice mate, I'm 182cm tall and the frame has a sticker on the top tube saying 23cm. Not even sure what that is a measurement of, but the frame looks bigger in person so I'm hoping it will be ok.
With the chain stay angle same as top tube angle I'll hazzard a guess the bike is (way) too small. Check the top tube length (measure along the side starting in the centre of the seat tube and finishing in the centre of the head tube). You need at least 21.25" - 21.5".

Also what length are the cranks (should be stamped on the inside face)?

Last edited:

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
With the chain stay angle same as top tube angle I'll hazzard a guess the bike is (way) too small. Check the top tube length (measure along the side starting in the centre of the seat tube and finishing in the centre of the head tube). You need at least 21.25" - 21.5".

Also what length are the cranks (should be stamped on the inside face)?
Hey mate, top tube is 20.25" cranks are 175mm. Starting to get the feeling i should have done some research before jumping in to this hole BMX thing. Cheers for your help everyone! Should i just bite the bullet and try and sell this thing and not loose too much money?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey mate, top tube is 20.25" cranks are 175mm. Starting to get the feeling i should have done some research before jumping in to this hole BMX thing. Cheers for your help everyone! Should i just bite the bullet and try and sell this thing and not loose too much money?
Yep. Looks to be in very good condition.

Suggest rolling up to your local BMX club day, put a price on it and see how you go. .

Last edited: