Newcastle Slope Style Comp.!

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Hey farkiners! I am wondering who thinks a slope style competition in the Newcastle area would be a good idea?
I am thinking bands after the comp etc.
This style of competion would be great I think in order to get a Mountain Bike park for the area aswell in which I'm sure alot of MTB riders in the area can say is way over due!:)
The event would be filmed by SULLIVAN VIZUAL which would include :
HD head cam footage ,A suspended camera system (Similair to the NWD serious one)
The footage also to be used also for cineMATIC a new HD film by SULLIVAN VIZUAL

Cheers guys Christian :)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hey Christian,

Is this just an attempt to get footage of riders to put a DVD together?:D

I think a comp would be a great idea, you need to stage putting it together. You'll have that Mountain Bike Park in no time.
Then bring it to the rest of the country.

Hux

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apart from Awaba bike park (which doesn't have any freeride and won't for a long while yet), where you planning on having this? There are no suitable venues.

**Edit** It's been discused elsewhere recently and Thecat brought up a whole lot of really good legal and financial reasons why it just can't happen.

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
There is no reason why Awaba couldn't have freeride trails but the following would need to be overcome,

- Funds.
Currently XC and DH racing cover the costs respectively of the XC and DH trails. To have freeride trails implemented money would need to be found to cover the planning of the trails, their construction and ongoing maintenance.

- Safety Aspect
Things like fall areas would need to be really well considered and I am not sure state forests would be keen on large scale risky trail features. Any freeride features would also need to be designed not only for the advanced rider, but also the rank beginner.

- Conflict with other trails
Self explanatory, but comes back to planning. Any trail(s) would need to be planned to either avoid or safely cross other trails.

I suspect what the the scale of things the freeride crew may want would lend itself to private land, but if someone comes up with a suitable proposal, Awaba may well be a possibility. As mullan said though, at this point it is not a huge priority for the club. That could change if willing people made themselves available with the right proposal for the area.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Slope style comp. proposed!

Hey all,
No it is not an attempt just to get footage , the footage will be world class if I can get the riders I propose . Awaba could be a venue for this type of contest but I don't think it has the room .I am having talks at present with builders/friends etc . about the type of stunts to build .....with a foam pit and pump track goin to be built at a private location at this stage :)
I am thinking a crankworx type of track to be build on either private land or a council park for the weekend and then move the structures to a permanate location.
I am thinking insurance is going to be the biggest problem to over come .I think Australia reallly needs this kind of comp! And well a MTB park in Newcastle is just a great idea :)

Cheers Christian

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Proposal for slope style comp!

Hey sammydog,
If I get a great proposal together for this kind contest, could all riders be covered by the Hunter club for insurance reasons?If so would the comp have to be held at Awaba?

Thanks Christian

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Yo this course I propose would have all sorts of stunts including wallrides ,boxes,dirt jumps etc.... please meessage me if u can help out with any kind of help !:)

Christian

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Newcastle Slope Stye Comp?

Hey all,
I am wondering who is willing to help get this off the ground ?? I already have support from Adelaide ripper Chris Soininen who reckens hes heard everybody talk about doing it but dont actually do it!. so I am looking for sponsors big or small to help !

Thanks Christian