Newly Released Bikes General

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm the opposite - keep as much off the bike as possible. Stuff on the bike is "unsprung" weight, i like to keep everything in the camelbak where it doesn't effect handling.
Dude this makes precisely zero sense. Unless you’re strapping shit to your fork legs or rear triangle like precisely no one (other than bike-packers which is a different matter), things on your bike are not unsprung weight.

Weight on your back however definitely does affect handling because it raises your centre of mass and flops around all over the place.

goobags

Likes Dirt
No-one would ever like carrying something on their back.

They might like having what they carry in their backpack, but no-one likes wearing one...

Putting that stuff on the bike is oodles more efficient & sensible.
Putting stuff in one backpack is better than two (or more) bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Dude this makes precisely zero sense. Unless you’re strapping shit to your fork legs or rear triangle like precisely no one (other than bike-packers which is a different matter), things on your bike are not unsprung weight.

Weight on your back however definitely does affect handling because it raises your centre of mass and flops around all over the place.
Hence the quotation marks on “unsprung”. Relative to me and the isolation from bike movement my legs and arms provide.

I might be wrong, but it feels better to me with the weight on me and not restricting the bikes ability to change direction.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
100% this. The difference between having tools in my bag and not, is huge. I find it carries me out wide at speed

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Here's a choice:

1. Someone offer to carry all their stuff for you
  2. Choose to carry your stuff on your back

Who in their right mind would choose #2?

Once this is decided, we can discuss options for #1.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Here's a choice:

1. Someone offer to carry all their stuff for you
  2. Choose to carry your stuff on your back
Who in their right mind would choose #2?

Once this is decided, we can discuss options for #1.
"Can I pinch your pump? I've burped my rear tyre again....."

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hence the quotation marks on “unsprung”. Relative to me and the isolation from bike movement my legs and arms provide.
Sorry I thought the quotation marks just meant you didn’t know wtf you were talking about :p

Always going to boil down to personal taste. I absolutely hate wearing Camelbaks; for me they’re uncomfortable, hot, unstable and just generally annoying. Putting a bottle/spare tube on my bike makes no discernible difference to its handling other than making riding up hills mildly more tiring. Putting that weight in a bag that flops around on my back makes me want to stay home.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% this. The difference between having tools in my bag and not, is huge. I find it carries me out wide at speed
What kind of tools are you carrying? I carry 1 multi tool. Water is the real issue and although it doe raise your centre of mass which is not good, it does give you more flexibility to move that weight back and forward. My biggest issue is I always use more than one water bottle and so on frame just isn't an option.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What kind of tools are you carrying? I carry 1 multi tool. Water is the real issue and although it doe raise your centre of mass which is not good, it does give you more flexibility to move that weight back and forward. My biggest issue is I always use more than one water bottle and so on frame just isn't an option.
Assembly tools

Extreme case, I know, but definitely a noticeable difference.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For those that don't like hydration packs that move around, try a USWE bag - that No Dancing Monkey tech is legit!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Don’t even notice the camelbak, it’s just normal. I carry a pump tube patchs multitool tyre levers chain link snacks snake bite bandage (after that tiger struck out at me one day riding alone at kowen...) phone and of course the water. Somewhere to stash a layer of clothing too. That’s a lot of stuff to find room for on the bike...