Newly Released Bikes General

aaroncob

Cannon Fodder
Ripmo AF pricing up for Australia:

$1800 less than carbon frame at $2990, coil extra $160, complete bikes from $5k.
Why is it with some brands that come into Australia like the Ripmo AF that there is an upcharge over the US pricing? The SLX version is $4,000 USD which is $5,830 AUD at todays currency rate but is selling for $6,450 through Rowney Sports.

Other brands like Trek are selling the Remedy 9.8 at $5,500 USD which converted to $8,015 AUD but is selling in Australia for $6,500 AUD.
The prices must reflect the tariffs which are being charged to Americans between the US trek and AU trek site. Doesn't explain why other brands are considerably dearer here in Australia.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The SLX version is $4,000 USD which is $5,830 AUD at todays currency rate but is selling for $6,450 through Rowney Sports.
10% GST adds up pretty well. Seems like a great effort from Ibis + Rowney to keep it fair.

I can't rationalise the Trek situation you describe if that's a RRP comparison, unless Trek AU (if there is such a thing) is overstocked on that model.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Trek situation might have to do with tarrifs on China if both countries respectively import direct from manufacturers. Also volume.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is it with some brands that come into Australia like the Ripmo AF that there is an upcharge over the US pricing? The SLX version is $4,000 USD which is $5,830 AUD at todays currency rate but is selling for $6,450 through Rowney Sports.
As noted by @creaky, this is a pretty good effort.
Costs a lot of money to send something to Australia and distribute it, I'd say this is fairly decent

Also, prices are not worked out the day they ship

Last edited:

aaroncob

Cannon Fodder
10% GST adds up pretty well. Seems like a great effort from Ibis + Rowney to keep it fair.

I can't rationalise the Trek situation you describe if that's a RRP comparison, unless Trek AU (if there is such a thing) is overstocked on that model.
The Trek pricing is consistent across various models between the US site and the Australia site. You can change the country on the Trek site to view to prices in various countries. Remember that the US pricing will have the tarriffs prices built into them. This is probably why the prices are cheaper in Australia than just applying the currency conversion.

The $4000 US price for the Ibis SLX Ripmo AF would include the tarriff pricing etc. Other brands like Santa Cruz, Orbea, Yeti etc have similar pricing in the US to Trek but are alot dearer once they land in Australia. Why is this?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It’s like how things are more expensive in tassie compared to real australia.

We pay a tax for being an island in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with a tiny population over a large area......... and consumers aren’t allowed to benefit from a global economy, that’s just for businesses looking to send manufacturing overseas or ship in construction workers.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just saying... if you have the time and are looking a more boutique bike, you can also claim back the tax leaving the US/Canada.

A mate of mine has just flew back home to Canada for a 2 week trip, to visit mum and ride Whistler. The flight cost him ~$1500au

I told him to not worry about taking his bike... but bring one back.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I told him to not worry about taking his bike... but bring one back.
You would get hit with import that wouldn't you?
Or take a Huffy in a bike bag, leave it in the land of milk and honey, and bring back an uber bike in its place, allegedly.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You would get hit with import that wouldn't you?
Or take a Huffy in a bike bag, leave it in the land of milk and honey, and bring back an uber bike in its place, allegedly.
Just take an empty bike bag. Customs are too busy pinging people over cigarettes to worry about bicycles

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just take an empty bike bag. Customs are too busy pinging people over cigarettes to worry about bicycles
I've seen Border Security on TV. I wouldn't want meet someone with a mission.

Flicking a bit on oil on it and throwing dirt on it sounds like a good way to 2nd hand it immediately. I'm sure the test tubes and beakers would come out looking for nasty seeds from the woods that Border Security seem to get all narky about, along with folks from Asia with dead pickled fish in their luggage :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Trying to work out how the design doesn't work for some.

Colour schemes?
Decals?
Tube shapes?

I don't see it as particularly radical...

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Trying to work out how the design doesn't work for some.

Colour schemes?
Decals?
Tube shapes?
I don't see it as particularly radical...
I don't find it horrible, just looks a little bland to me. Mostly the tube shapes I'd say.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
+1 on the Ripmo looking bland (mostly in pics though). Sort of looks like someone pulled it out of the mould before it had time to cure and it just melted a little. The curve in the top tube is redundant and ugly IMO.

But I still reckon they look nice in person, something to do with the build quality & paint finish combining with the flowy downtube and seat/chain stays make it look a little classy.

Wish they'd make an XXL (alloy or carbon) with a longer reach and chainstays though! Missed the mark with the alloy model there especially...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Wish they'd make an XXL (alloy or carbon) with a longer reach and chainstays though! Missed the mark with the alloy model there especially...
But you’re still happy with the fit of yours right?