Newly Released Bikes General

Jpez

Down on the left!
View attachment 368456

New Vitus sommet actually looks like a Sight.
FIFY

I know bike design is all evolving in a similar direction because a good design is a good design and if it works it works therefore a lot of bikes tend to look the same because they’re all running virtually the the same geo etc and there’s only so many ways to design two wheels and a frame but it’s a shame.
It’s nice when a new bike comes along and you can see that it has some originality to it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@Jpez for the same reason though, it's great how between Polygon, Marin, and now Vitus (maybe others too?) you can now easily get a decent frame in a proven design and nice colourway with good spec on it for thousands less than Norco et al... Check the spec on this thing for the $$$. Same with the new purple Siskiu T8.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez for the same reason though, it's great how between Polygon, Marin, and now Vitus (maybe others too?) you can now easily get a decent frame in a proven design and nice colourway with good spec on it for thousands less than Norco et al... Check the spec on this thing for the $$$. Same with the new purple Siskiu T8.
That is absolutely true. Definitely positives to it but it’s a shame frames are all starting to looking like they fell out of the same mould.
nukeproof mega doesn’t look like a Mega anymore, same with Transitions. They’ve lost that distinctive curved frame, even my current fave Commencal has morphed closer to this.
I guess that’s why I’ll never live in a cookie cutter house in a cookie cutter estate somewhere even though it presents better value. No character.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I guess that’s why I’ll never live in a cookie cutter house in a cookie cutter estate somewhere even though it presents better value. No character.
Oh yeah same here I'm a self obsessed wanker and won't buy any of the above named bikes or an estate home either, but I acknowledge that's down to me not the bikes, and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them to someone new to the sport... which you couldn't have said even just a couple of years ago really.

Agreed re: design cues, but that's very trend based - everyone was doing swooping curvy lines when hydroforming was the new thing, and that carried through to carbon bikes for a while, now everyone wants the in-line top tube/seat stay thing because it makes bikes look fast and aggressive. Just wait til the proliferation of idler-pulley HSP designs mean everyone gets back on the elevated chainstay bandwagon like it's the 80s again :p

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will get belted round the ears for this next comment .......

but .
There is a really good video done by one of the youtube fellas on e-bikes - explaining why the frames / geo are all heading in the direction/s that just work .
and why Maths Matters .
More expensive / niche / whatever bikes can no longer afford to go off on some quest for ' point of difference ' as it will not sell
More $$ does not always equate to a better mousetrap if the basics are shit .
Thats why ( my opinion ) some of the older off centre brands are still great riding machines .
They were ahead of the curve .
There was a great comment in one of the posts this week about - 'buy a good . well designed , adequately specced bike and ride the pants off it .'

I will admit to having limited skills and fitness !

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
vitus and the like are making pretty decent bikes at not too much price. now that deore has gone 12 speed, and the z2 is a decent fork at a good price things like the merida bit trail, norco torrent and nukeproof scout comp are all very good options for just over 2k. certainly not headline bikes but the sort of thing that will get a lot of people onto good bikes

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And , no good hating on the big players .
They are delivering what consumers want - well designed / priced / spec units that ride nice .
Some people only want to ride rail trails and thats mtbing to them - other will push every limit , line , gnarly rock strewn trail just for fun .

What happens in a post covid world - i reckon you will find even kmart bikes are sold out - still !
As well as the $10k limited edition micro branded niche ones

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ don't mistake homogenisation for progression. 2 factories produce the gross majority of the world's bikes and almost all of those bikes look very similar. Economies of scale may have just as much influence as innovation.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
^ don't mistake homogenisation for progression. 2 factories produce the gross majority of the world's bikes and almost all of those bikes look very similar. Economies of scale may have just as much influence as innovation.
I don't really buy that unless everyone is using homogenised moulds across the board (like the unlamented badge engineering period for cars)? Welding a unique frame for a brand is still going to be a unique and costly process and carbon manufacturing is still obscene, so unless everything looks literally identical I don't see any benefit?

Unless you're talking about initial R&D with frame design - in which case yeah possibly. Look how many brands jumped on Horst Link when the patent expired..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't really buy that unless everyone is using homogenised moulds across the board (like the unlamented badge engineering period for cars)? Welding a unique frame for a brand is still going to be a unique and costly process and carbon manufacturing is still obscene, so unless everything looks literally identical I don't see any benefit?

Unless you're talking about initial R&D with frame design - in which case yeah possibly. Look how many brands jumped on Horst Link when the patent expired..
Except many many many brands are very similar, unique is now hard to find. R&D is part of it.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Vitus and the like are making pretty decent bikes at not too much price. now that deore has gone 12 speed, and the z2 is a decent fork at a good price things like the Merida Big.Trail, Norco Torrent and Nukeproof Scout comp are all very good options for just over 2k. certainly not headline bikes but the sort of thing that will get a lot of people onto good bikes
The Big Trail and Scout (and indeed my Ragley Big Al!) are available at even lower prices and arguably do even more to get people into the sport and offer more than enough headroom to improve and experiment with their new skills without the need to sell up and buy a more expensive bike.

This is a direction the industry is taking well.

PS. I think 12 speed isn't necessary and we'll see a push to very lightweight and adjustment tolerant 10 speed drivetrains. I'd love an Advent X or even a 10sp XT(R) on mine!

Minlak

custom titis
PS. I think 12 speed isn't necessary and we'll see a push to very lightweight and adjustment tolerant 10 speed drivetrains. I'd love an Advent X or even a 10sp XT(R) on mine!
I love my 12 spd Shimano over the 11 spd Sram I have. The 12 has a 32 round the 11 has 32 oval - in the 12 spd I just feel like I always have the right gear and have actually managed some pinch climbs on the 12 I don’t on the 11

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PS. I think 12 speed isn't necessary and we'll see a push to very lightweight and adjustment tolerant 10 speed drivetrains.
just comparing my GX to the kids 2x10 deore. his shifts better and if i could get that in a 12 speed for very little money, that seems like a win. but havent tried deore 12 to say it does as well. at 110kg and getting on a bit I'll take the lowest gears that keep me upright

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I love my 12 spd Shimano over the 11 spd Sram I have. The 12 has a 32 round the 11 has 32 oval - in the 12 spd I just feel like I always have the right gear and have actually managed some pinch climbs on the 12 I don’t on the 11
I had a go on my mates 12 speed (Stumpjumper with SX) and didn't really feel that much difference to be honest. That said I probably didn't spend enough time to really get acquainted. I can tell you that I'm happy with my 11-46T 10sp Deore and that's riding all over Smithfield and Davies Creek with a 105kg body and a lack of fitness! I would like an XT or XTR shifter though ;)

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Talking to my bike shop mate this afternoon. Apparently, as Asia-pacific is Giant's biggest marketplace rather than the USA, Australia will be receiving regular shipments for the foreseeable future of new bikes.
However, the opposite is true for Specialized and Trek with their current shipment or pending shipment the last until April 2021.