Newly Released Bikes General

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
All respect to Cocalis but I reckon if Superboost was the thing, we'd be there by now. Not enough manufacturers have embraced it. By contrast 148 went from a Trek curiosity to the default in less than 2 years.

At the moment it's just a frustrating middle ground imo - the new Wreckoning would probably be top of the list for my next bike (mate has one and loves it), but I've already got a set of hubs I want to use...

To resolve the packaging issues @beeb mentioned, we'd need to see a wider bb / crank standard (and some kind of associated q factor thingy).
I quoted an interview a few years back where CC said we should go straight to 157 as it the widest rear possible without increasing BB width.

142 was simply doing away with the spuds on QR 135, 110 front and 148 rear made expensive wheelsets obsolete.

I really believe if it wasn't for covid, we would have already seen a decent jump to 157mm already.
We can't even supply the world with the last fake standard at the moment.

Here's a good 2018 interview I have just read. It explains the 157DH needs a 83mm bb where 157 trail keeps the 73mm bb.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Here's a good 2018 interview I have just read. It explains the 157DH needs a 83mm bb where 157 trail keeps the 73mm bb.

It is refreshing that the PB comments all seem down the same path of not being in awe of the shiny new standard and more like keeping running what I have for something that has limited, if any, measurable gain and might be a passing standard until ultra boost appears.

The whole hub size upsizing fiasco with the consumer as the guinea pig will create more wait 'n see for the consumer. Sure there will be some early adopters that will go for it but the jaded 'here we go again' crowd might keep their hands on their wallets a bit longer.

PJO

in me vL comy
Where does it explain that 157DH needs 83mm BB and 157suPerbOOstPUS needs 73mm BB?
I couldn't find it in the article.
My take is that the middle of the 12-speed cassette is further toward the centre of the hub because the biggest cogs are now directly over the drive-side flange. So chainline on trail bikes is inboard compared to a 8/9sp DH cassette where the biggest cogs are still within the freehub space.

The problem is that this article is trying to say we can have 157mm spacing and not have to change the cranks, that is bullshit. It is just trying to incrementally creep in a new hub sizing for trail bikes (loathed to call it a standard) without being alarmist by saying that we will have to change cranks too.
As has been mentioned by others: narrow q-factor cranks and wide chainstays are gonna create issues with heel clearance. This is another exercise in fuckwittery.

EDIT: bikes engineered within tolerances, changing one thing is likely to flow to other changes.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
142 was simply doing away with the spuds on QR 135, 110 front and 148 rear made expensive wheelsets obsolete.
Yes and no. My Chris King wheelset is 100 / 142 and I run Wolftooth thingies so they work in boosted stuff. $40 to avoid obsolescence is pretty good. Challenge is problem solvers to cover the jump to 157 would be a touch unlikely I reckon.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
As has been mentioned by others: narrow q-factor cranks and wide chainstays are gonna create issues with heel clearance. This is another exercise in fuckwittery.
I'm waiting for some industry leader to pipe up and say that the new school S shaped seatstay and chainstay made to accommodate wider hubs are not structurally as sound as using a straight stay. Then go off and solve that somehow creating a bit more wacky.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Where does it explain that 157DH needs 83mm BB and 157suPerbOOstPUS needs 73mm BB?
Top of Knollys article.

At Knolly we call it 157 TRAIL to identify the 73mm BB spacing differently from 83mm DH BB spacing.
It is but I have no issues with a massive Q-factor, I spent quite a few years on Fatbikes from 2011 till 2015 in the Simpson years and the one I still have has a 197mm rear hub and a 110mm BB.
I just want them to get somewhere and stay there.

The jump from 142 to 157 took out the baby steps in between. Its where they should have went in the first place for trail bikes and above, XC should have stayed at 142 where Gravel, CX, Road all are.

While I dont agree with everything UCI, the UCI ruling on specific hub widths keeps the industry from being stupid every 2 years with road, CX ect...